Stranded in Challis, Idaho -- why you should always check your caliper bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving out of the mountains yesterday at the end of an out of state hunting trip when I hear a bang and my brakes started feeling weird. Did some basic diagnostics, didn't see any leaks or anything obviously wrong, and continued driving to the auto parts store in the nearest town so I can do more tests.

While pulling into the only NAPA for 60 miles, I hear a CRUNCH and suddenly I can't turn my wheel all the way to the left. I step out to find brake fluid pissing out all over the drivers side tire and my caliper is at the bottom of the rotor:

Yz7bc8A.jpg

So the bad news is that I lost both caliper bolts and the stainless steel braided brake hose was sheered off where the fitting meets the caliper. The good news is that this happened in the parking lot of a NAPA and I did not catastrophically destroy my caliper while simultaneously losing brake hydraulics on the highway while I was driving 65 MPH.

I was out bright and early this morning trying to find some replacement bolts and new brake hose. The NAPA guy managed to dig up some m12 x 1.25mm bolts that needed some treatment from the hacksaw before they would fit. They definitely aren't perfect, but they should do the trick until I get to Boise where I can find OEM replacements.

As this was happening, one of the locals in the NAPA overheard my plight and said he has an old '86 4Runner for parts that might use the same brake hose. Sure enough, the hose looks like a good fit and connected up to the male hardline without an issue. Here's the problem though: the threads on the male-male NPT fitting that connects the brake hose to the caliper are totally fxxxed.

wELw6Am.jpg

VcNFiaC.jpg

I suspect the damage happened when the caliper was pulled down to the bottom of the rotor and torqued incredibly hard. I believe the female threads inside the caliper are still good as I was able to successfully install a male-female fitting, and all I need to stop the leaks is another male-male fitting.

So what's the fastest way to get a replacement NPT 10 x 1.0mm male-male fitting in the middle of nowhere? Any other ideas to consider?

NAPA part # 38881 is what folks use when they delete the short hard lines to the OEM backing plate. (I'll assume it's a rubber equivalent to the SS braided hose that died, but with different ends??)
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/UBK38881
I'd think that 4 Runner hose would be very similar to that NAPA hose, but perhaps not. If the 4 Runner hose is female-female, then maybe that's why you need that now buggered adapter at the caliper end? The Male end of that NAPA brake hose should thread right into the caliper sans adapter and the female end should fit the holder at the axle where the longer OEM hard line starts, also sans adapter. (From my memory of at least 5 years ago...perhaps I'm steering you wrong?

Indeed! Both original SS braided hose and 4Runner hoses are female/female. Looks like NAPA #38881 would bypass the need to have a male/male NPT fitting.

Thanks for the specifics. Because I'm broken down in a one-horse town, the soonest that hose would arrive is Tuesday. Any ideas on how I can put something together that would let me limp home sooner?

There's a CarQuest in town, according to Mr Google. If an equivalent to that AeroQuip adapter can't be located, I'd ask around for help either chasing the threads with a die or cleaning them up with a thread repair file. (Could be either sketchy as hell, or good as before...those threads are VERY soft)
Good Luck!

I guess it's not as uncommon as you'd think. This summer I was waiting for @Mr Cimarron by the side of US 64 above Taos, on the way to the Solid Axle Summit in Ouray. He mentioned the lost caliper bolt earlier in the day. That was the first time I heard of losing a caliper bolt while on the road. I'll be checking from now on.
I found something photo worthy. Funny part was I cruised into my town and had my first issue of the trip. Lost a front brake caliper bolt on the drivers side. Thankfully I was carrying a few spares so it was a quick fix. I didn't do my bolt check this morning due to the rain in Amarillo.
View attachment 1513671 View attachment 1513672 View attachment 1513673 View attachment 1513674

It's happened to me twice. I ended up drilling holes in the heads of the caliper bolts and lock wiring them to prevent backing out.

Lechnito glad to hear you got it going and a big thumbs up for J Mack and Wile E. Coyote willing to step up and help out.

I just made it to Boise and feel confident enough with the brake modifications to continue toward home. Thanks to everyone who contributed advice, especially @J Mack for generously offering parts and to tow my ass down the mountain if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom