Fuel Sending Unit Emergency Bypass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently had the fuel tank dropped and took opportunity to change the fuel pump. As anyone who's done this knows it's not easy to do on the trail or side of the street.

I've thought of converting to some type of inline pump and get rid of in-tank pump but as others have pointed out it's a great design and pretty reliable with good longevity. I've thought of putting an inline pump in series with the in-tank pump but some have said it won't pull the fuel through the in tank pump when needed.

I also have seen some people do a nice job cutting access panels in the floor to access the pump similar to the sending unit. But I'd like to avoid that if possible.

SO I thought why not come up with a way that you could temporarily install and 'emergency' pump using the sending unit hole in the tank??

My thought was to somehow have "T piece" of hose in the fuel feed line downstream from the in-tank pump and have that hose near the sending unit hole. Then if you are stuck....open the access panel.......pull the sending unit.......then install/insert a hose with an inline pump/filter that you could then use to feed fuel to get you home???

I'm asking for ideas on how to make this work and make a kit of some type as a backup to carry in the truck.

Thanks everyone.

The FJ62 fuel pump is extremely reliable. So are all the fuel pumps in the millions of new vehicles sold.
Replace the pump with a new genuine Toyota pump and you won’t have to think about it for another 20 years. It won’t fail.

At least that’s how I see it.

The FJ62 fuel pump is extremely reliable. So are all the fuel pumps in the millions of new vehicles sold.
Replace the pump with a new genuine Toyota pump and you won’t have to think about it for another 20 years. It won’t fail.

At least that’s how I see it.
Agree. But that's no fun LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom