What's going on over at GOBI? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I know there's a sub for discussing racks but it's pretty dead over there and I need traction.

Is anyone else here waiting on a rack from GOBI in Colorado? Have you received any word or response from them since the mass email last August regarding supply chain issues? Anyone who already has one of their racks, how is their customer service?

Ordered a stealth rack with sunroof insert mid-May of last year. I've sent 3 different emails since the email in August just inquiring on status and have yet to receive a response of any kind. Called yesterday and the operator transferred me to the department that could provide an update, but after 5 minutes of no answer it transferred me back to the Operator who took down a note for them to return my call. Still nothing :mad:

I don't want to cancel my order, I love the style of their racks and it has all the features I want, but with no communication back from them and a desire to get a rack up there I'm seriously considering it. If I do, are there any comparable racks out there? I want a basket style rack that has full roof coverage, still want the option to use my sunroof, and want a platform that I can easily walk around on or throw a chair on top of. What racks can give me all that besides GOBI?

TIA

Gobi is not great. Their customer service has been a problem for years and the products are average.

I don't think you can go wrong with Gamiviti. I've seen quite a few of his racks in person and they are great.

Last edited:
I ordered a Sequoia Gobi rack, took about 10 months to arrive, communication was poor, got randomly double-billed for part of the order like six months after. However, I have to say, the quality of the rack (and the Gobi backpack and bags they threw in with the various components) was completely outstanding. Fantastic rack.

Also have a Gamiviti rack for a 100. Communication, before and after ordering, was absurdly good and I think I got the rack in a couple weeks. The Gamiviti rack is also terrific quality, and it is a lot easier to work with for mounting various things due to the mounting plates that are provided in various spots. There are also many more options for styles, floor panels, quick mount awning brackets, etc.

I own 1 thing from gobi, the 100 series rear hatch ladder, which only they make. It took 8 months to get. I had to swap hardware to get it to work & file down the upper corners so it does not rub when the rear hatch is opened. First and last purchase from them ever. Get your money back and go with literally any other manufacturer.

You wont be disappointed with any of the smaller Rack guys around here. Love my Gamiviti. Support the guys who support the 100, Gamiviti, Dissent etc..

Last edited:
@nakman supplies glassware every year (among tons of other support) at HIH. I've had my share and then some of spirits and beer from a Gamaviti glass. I've broken most of them or worn out the logo from over-use. Good dude. Get a Gamaviti rack.

Still Colorado made, and I suspect you'll talk/email to a real human promptly. Probably even Tim himself.

I own 1 thing from gobi, the 100 series rear hatch ladder, which only they make. It took 8 months to get. I had to swap hardware to get it to work & file down the upper corners so it does not rub when the rear hatch is opened. First and last purchase from them ever. Get your money back and go with literally any other manufacturer.
I wish someone else made a ladder like that… Debating getting one bit have seen the horror stories. Just want a ladder for my RTT that can’t be left at home.

I wish someone else made a ladder like that… Debating getting one bit have seen the horror stories. Just want a ladder for my RTT that can’t be left at home.
Baja designs did and then Gobi sued them because apparently they patented ladders on the back

Baja designs did and then Gobi sued them because apparently they patented ladders on the back
FWIW, the patent listed on their site for the 100 appears to be expired as of 2 years ago.

Side note, jeez, they patent every little thing. Must have a patent attorney of staff or something...

1643264161504.png

I had all the same issues with gobi. ZERO customer service and 8 months from the order to the delivery.
Even if you want to cancel you cant as they will charge you. And that's IF they see your request or answer the phone. Your only option will be to cancel it via your credit card.
Sad.

Ugh, but this was about what I expected after my own experience.

I do like the Gamiviti racks, but they aren't a basket (want for lateral stability of contents) and I really want a mesh floor. Seems GOBI are the only ones making that exact rack after extensive research. I can find baskets but they don't tend to have the same low profile and none have the mesh flooring.

The Prinsu-style racks just aren't what I'm after, at all. I want something more rugged and besides GOBI only Gamiviti comes close.

Ugh, but this was about what I expected after my own experience.

I do like the Gamiviti racks, but they aren't a basket (want for lateral stability of contents) and I really want a mesh floor. Seems GOBI are the only ones making that exact rack after extensive research. I can find baskets but they don't tend to have the same low profile and none have the mesh flooring.

The Prinsu-style racks just aren't what I'm after, at all. I want something more rugged and besides GOBI only Gamiviti comes close.

A steel mesh floor is an option from Gamiviti (I opted for the removable plastic version). I wouldn't be surprised if a basket is possible as well. Contact him, he'll give you the pros and cons of every option available without trying to upsell you.

I was just poking around the site and saw the plastic grid panels, those might actually give me exactly what I want. I also saw the drop basket but was hoping more for rails around the front, sides, and rear of the rack so that the whole thing was a basket and wouldn't limit how and where I could stow stuff.

Guess I need to give him a call. Tired of waiting in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom