What to do when the pieces are discontinue ? Here the journey of a wise guy ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
What to do when the pieces are discontinued ?

OK, here's a beautiful story that goes wrong ... but finished well.

Remember this story? https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/194124-dont-loose-precup-3b-carnage.html

after this happened https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/207628-here-good-one-timer-gear-bearing.html

I finally managed to order the piece of the dealer in USA.

I was waiting to have a little time to make repairs ... when finally, a sudden noise convinced me to do the work immediately. I had to go on holiday / camping within few days ... I therefore did not whant to have problems along the way

Here the story.

When I opened the timer cover, something fell on the floor of my garage

So I realize that the whistle was probably ultimately a grinding sound! The shop did not torque enought the banjo bolt / bolt union and it fall down in the timer cover, literally eat my gears ! and... the banjo bolt !

At this moment... I was not very happy

I went back to the rebuilt shop and ask to pay me back the gear (idle gear and crankshaft gear) and the bolt. He did so without saying anything.

Then I order the part from Toyota. You probably know that these pieces are rare and mostly not available in North America. I had to wait for 2 weeks ... but the camping next week ???

Since I have a BJ70 and a BJ42, I was planning to take the pieces in BJ42 for my BJ70 and put back all in place once the news pieces home.... but I was unable to remove the puley my BJ42! I was to where I started !

Even if I had driven more than 8000km without knowing the real problem .... the problem once known ... I could not drive this truck in this situation ! OK for the gears.... but witout the banjo / union bolt..... no way !

I had an idea of genius. Drill a holes in a regular bolt and put in place !!!

And it worked very well ! Very well !

Toyota then informs me that the banjo bolt (90044-01010) was discontinuuer. Available nowhere.

I then order a banjo bolt from a local hydrolic hoses shop.

Here the picturs of that second carnage.... but everything is now in place and everytrhin now work well !
Timer_gear_(1).JPG
Timer_gear_(2).JPG
Timer_gear_(3).jpg

Last edited:
Other pics :
Timer_gear_(4).jpg
Timer_gear_(6).JPG
Timer_gear_(7).JPG

Some other pics :
Timer_gear_(8).JPG
Timer_gear_(9).JPG
Timer_gear_(10).JPG

And finaly :
Timer_gear_(12).JPG
Timer_gear.JPG

Good news at last.
Is that the timing marks

holy crap batman!!
that is one big mess...

glad you could fix it.

note to self:
banjo bolt discontinued...

Is that the timing marks

Yes. Before removing the idle (the center one) I first try to aling everything by turning the crank gear. After .... 67 turns... I realise that I can't find the correct «time». I don't know how Toyota desing the «timing» for the 3B (i.e. the way the idle gear is comming back at the good place after severale turn 0-0, 1-1, 2-2). So I put the cam, crank and the timer pump at the good «time» (this is easy) and simply removed the idler gear, then the crank gear. Since the crank gear can only put in one way ... I just put back the idle gear aling to the number on the other gears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom