Here a good one - TIMER GEAR bearing ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
Hey everyone!

Here a good one. Maybe no one here already got that problem!!

Well. Here the topic:

2200km on my rebuilted 3B.

I was 200km from home, check-in for my hotel room, get back in the cruiser, start the engine, then, at this moment, a noise appear from the front end of the engine.

The sound came from a spinning part. It’s a kind of whistle. The “frequency” come “higher” when the engine RPM growing up.

I first though it was the flywheel rubbing some where. Then I though it was an accessory, so, I removed the PS belt, then the ALT belt. The noise (whistle) still there.

I then go to the TOYOTA dealer and meet a trusty old chef mechanic tells me it’s maybe something from the timing gear. That the place he will first check if it faces a problem like that.

Well, since the BJ70 is my DD, I want all the suspect part first.

So I pick up the part # for the bearing (for timer hub) 90099-10015 a Google it. I found NSK 6302VV was the same. I order it for a local bearing place.

Then I check other page part and found a second bearing for the timer gear. But that bearing does not exist at my local TOYOTA dealer. Bearing (injection pump gear thrust) 11345-48010.

My TOYOTA part department send a technical question about this specific bearing at TOYOTA Canada… and I still waiting for the answer.

Well, is someone known if that bearing can be found elsewhere?
Someone already got this problem
Someone have different opinion about this problem?
Any other input...

Merci

Last edited:
see if you can locate the source of the noise with a mechanics stethescope if it is the oil pump bearing the noise should be loudest down towards the oil pan near the center if its higher it should be the water pump

who did the rebuild? mabey the timer gear wasnt put in properly there is a method in puttin it in?

Dave ,Im sure if you took it to a bearing shop they could measure it up and find one.

see if you can locate the source of the noise with a mechanics stethescope if it is the oil pump bearing the noise should be loudest down towards the oil pan near the center if its higher it should be the water pump

who did the rebuild? mabey the timer gear wasnt put in properly there is a method in puttin it in?

I already have a stéthoscope. The sound is comming from the timer gear housing... ''mostly'' pump side...

Dave ,Im sure if you took it to a bearing shop they could measure it up and find one.

Yeah, I'm sur too... but you know... It's always good to get the part first... and bring them back if you don't use it.

A matter of culture .. usually here you go with the part and ask in the shop for a new one .. and surprisinly, most of the shops ask for the old part at the time to sell a new one ..

I tend to do it the way David does.
As long as you can drive it....first get the parts you might need, then tear it apart.
The other way around you might find out the part is not in stock....'sorry sir you'll have to wait till the day after tomorrow.'

Just with Toyota-parts there is a problem...an ordered part can only be returned after paying a handling-fee of 15 Euro's (about 22 USD), be it a 0,02 eurocents or a 500 euros part

About two weeks ago I ordered some parts (most in the 'just a few euro a part' category), maybe 8 or 10 parts. The parts-department guy ordered them by computer. When confirming the order, there was a hick-up in the system. He got no confimation the order was received. So he confirmed again.
Two day's later I went to collect the parts. In the box was twice the amount I ordered. Had to pay what I ordered and got the same amount for free.
They told me about the mishap during the transmission. Apparently the system did receive the first confimation without aknowledging so it was filed twice.
Because the parts I ordered were specific for my rig (and there are no others around here) they either could dump them in a corner of their store, keep them for years and never sell them or give them to me. Total amount they would have had to pay to return them was in the 150 Euro mark, total parts value around 40 Euro's. Now I have two handfull of small parts I probably will never need again...

Since I did not make the rebuilt (the shop do it for me), I can't figure with the FSM if the bearing (not the one ON the gear) can come out without removing the injection pump.

As I can read the little amount of repply... no one experience this... ?

Maybe someone recently open the timmer gear and have a fresh idea in is head and can repply me...

... or ... I will found the answer by myself and post it here latter ;) after the job!

I tend to do it the way David does.
As long as you can drive it....first get the parts you might need, then tear it apart.
The other way around you might find out the part is not in stock....'sorry sir you'll have to wait till the day after tomorrow.'

Is that the standard Ozzie answer? You guys don't know how good you have it!!! I am sure the reason David went to an equivalent is precisely because THIS is what we are usually told": "we have three in our system, should be able to get it in by the end of next week" (if it's the warehouse in California), please pay at the cash so we can order the part for you" (notice I haven't mentioned price yet!!!)

Fortunately, for stuff such as the air and oil filter, it's usually much easier: "I hope you don't expect us to have that in stock" (if they don't know you) followed by "Sure we have it. Come back tomorrow afternoon"

For 'exotic' stuff like engine parts it's like "let me get back to you, it's not in our system"... Next day he calls you: "Hello, Paul from St.-Jérôme Toyota - I checked with the central database, it's a special order from Japan, the price is (multiply what you expect by three), when you are ready to order come in with your money and we will gladly order it for you"[...]"well yes it will take about three (months for large parts, weeks for small parts)...

In the Olden Days, dealers had parts IN STOCK... Nowadays the only stuff that is in stock is the stuff you can get just about anywhere (D'Oh!)

Honestly though, we are special nutcases with our obsolete, rare or otherwise counter-culture vehicles. No wonder they treat us like we came from Mars... I remember one mechanic once happily burning off one of the tranny mounts while doing some welding repair and after I yelled, answering calmly, 'no big deal, it's just a rubber mount'... 'Yeah! and they cost $250 each!!!' (I won't repeat what he said next!!!) :D

Is that the standard Ozzie answer? You guys don't know how good you have it!!! :D

Don't know about Ozi, I live in the Netherlands:D

And I have the disadvantage that the Toyota-dealer I deal with, has no other 70-series customers.
Most of the time he has to order parts because he doesn't stock them and I can understand that looking at the prices and therefore the costs involved.
But if I go there to order (most of the time I will have the part-numbers availeble - EPC !! - saving them a lot to have to find them) all they have to do is confirm the partnumber is right and look at the stock. They can see or they have it in stock, one of their sub-dealers or they have to order it from Toyota central. This only takes minutes
If I get there before 2 p.m. the part will be there the next (working) day.
I never had to wait longer, for any part.
I just order the Toyota specific parts at the dealers. For bearings and other parts like brakepads I go to the aftermarket stores. Even there I never had to wait longer than a day, or maybe two, before receiving parts that are 'common' so to say.
The longest time I had to wait was about four days. This because I needed a special bearing for the X-fer. There was only one in stock in all of the Netherlands, costing about thirty percent of what Toyota was charging. Waiting four days saved me about 90 USD.

Longest time I've been waiting for parts was about 7 weeks. Ordered them from.......Ozi. It was a repair-set having all the gaskets, bearings and whatever in there and some other small stuff.
Even having this stuff send here saved a lot of money but I doubt or will ever do this again at least with that store. They just were sloppy in sending the parts.

BTW I also could have saved a lot on the tranny support you mentioned. Mine was just gone ( not molested by a mechanic;)) and I had to order one from Toyota a few days before finding out about and ordering in Ozi. There the tranny-support costs only something like 40 Au$.

Sorry, Ron, your avatar makes you look like you're from somewhere warm and dry! Here we have already exceeded 40 year old records of snow accumulation and the province is now in a panic after a warehouse in Morin Heights, where I used to live, collapsed under the weight of the accumulated snow a few days ago...

Hey, just look at this, taken at my buddy Pierre a few days ago (Yes, the Old Faithful is back on the road!) :)
L'Iglou_Small.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, Ron, your avatar makes you look like you're from somewhere warm and dry! Here we have already exceeded 40 year old records of snow accumulation and the province is now in a panic after a warehouse in Morin Heights, where I used to live, collapsed under the weight of the accumulated snow a few days ago...

Hey, just look at this, taken at my buddy Pierre a few days ago (Yes, the Old Faithful is back on the road!) :)

Never mind. The avatar is little misleading, took the picture during a trip in the Sahara last year, and as the rig is in a nice position without any clutter in the background I thought that to be a nice avatar...;)

Well that's a bit of snow you have there. Can imagine roofs collapsing.
Have not seen that amount of snow when I stayed in Canada (Okanaga-valley B.C.) for several months during part of the winter some years ago

Last time I've seen real vast amounts of snow over here in the Netherlands was in 1979 when roads got blocked and we got stranded for two or three days.....
Wished I had the rig then allready.......would have come in handy...like Old Faithfull I assume.:D

Yep, already pulled my wife (tercel) out of the snowbank in the middle of the steep hill near home last week and a buddy's pickup out of sheer ice last month. Great to have REAL 4 wheel drive (=lockable diffs). The Blizzaks, although not as effective as the studded Nokians I had last year, are not too shabby either...

(Sorry for the hijack, David, j'espère que tu te débrouille avec ton problème de bearing!)

OK guys.

about 4 week later and Toyota Canada still don't give new to my Toyota dealer for the bearing.

Well.... is someone from another part of the world (Australia, Japan, Europe,...) can check this part number with is nearest Toyota Dealer and see what they say ??

Bearing (injection pump gear thrust) 11345-48010

Merci les gars !

if you have the bearing out or can measure it, just go to the aftermarket. Chance nine out of ten that the bearing is a universal type.
Just need the dimensions and a good bearing-shop can provide you a replacement for a fraction of the money you'll pay at toyotas.
Unless it's a special bearing I never go to the dealer to get a bearing!!

OK guys.

about 4 week later and Toyota Canada still don't give new to my Toyota dealer for the bearing.

Well.... is someone from another part of the world (Australia, Japan, Europe,...) can check this part number with is nearest Toyota Dealer and see what they say ??

Bearing (injection pump gear thrust) 11345-48010

Merci les gars !
Call Prime Toyota, Saco, Maine and ask to talk to the parts manager, Peter Nagorniak, a really, really nice guy I've dealt with several times, who has given me top notch service and great prices as well, on parts for my JDM that are not even on the system in Canada!

Tell him you were referred by Christophe, "the French Canadian with the right hand drive Japanese Landcruiser who comes here for parts from time to time";)

His phone number is 207-282-6161 or 800-244-6132 (don't know if 800 number works from Canada, though ;))

Here's a direct link to the parts department... You will notice one of the guys has a typical Québecois name... Gobeil... But I seriously doubt he'll be able to speak French to you!!! His grandparents are probably the only ones in his family who can still speak the language ;)

Good Luck, hope it helps!!!

Chris

PS this summer (end of July 2008) I went back to get some parts and was served by Chris Gobeil that I wrote about in my original post... Turns out his grandfather came from the Beauce, he's a great guy just like Peter. These folks are so pleasant and helpful!! All I could say was WOW, WOW, WOW... I paid less than $30 for the piece of glass that was broken (small panel piece on the back door) when someone attempted to break into my truck last month, that Lebeau Vitres D'Auto wanted FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS for!!! I cannot say enough how great these guys are. I think I'll start a new thread on the subject, the service is simply outstanding.

OH and BTW, they do ship to Canada and they accept your order and Visa card on the phone! It doesn't get much better than that...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom