Dont' loose a precup, 3B carnage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Those are pictures of a 3B (friend of mine). The story is that he had a board in front of the rad because it was cold in the morning, but in the afternoon things were warmer but forgot about it, temperature went up to 210Deg F (BJ70), he then realise the board was still there, so he stop on the side of the highway to remove it. When he got back on the highway he didn't do long and boom, no power and lots of smoke.

He says the precup fell.....

David*BJ70 is on the board but couldn't post the picture, i'm sure he will shim in.
2007-12-13 - tête de moteur (1).JPG
Resize of 2007-12-13 - tête de moteur (4).jpg

Last edited:
oh no David!!

what happened to your head? I thought this was a new head. Did you still have the precups you were selling from before?

Ouch. Please show us the head too.

OH GEEZ!! So sorry to hear that. Did #3 drop as well? It looks like some damage there as well. How many KMs on that engine?

Oh my that is ugly and scary. I have a shield in front of my radiator -yikes , but the temps are the same with or without it and everything seems normal/fine .Maybe his dammage was caused by something else???

Dat's a bummer. I think it's a coincidence on the cardboard in front of the rad though. I've had mine up to 220 before.

Halfway there. Drop the pan and put in a new piston and be on your way.

OK I can log on my friend's computer.

Well you think changing only one piston is OK or maybe the other one also.

Is I need to change the rings on the other piston... to keep the compression equal.

I think I will go with geoff walsh. Any other idea

BB, remember I sell the precup last winter.

I log myself tomorow.

Give more input please.

Salut

how does the head look? How many KM's on this engine?

Might be time to just install a whole rebuild kit. New liners and pistons/rings and bushings. Do everything you can yourself. Take the block to a machine shop to get the liners and pistons installed. So the clearances are with in spec.

Ask Cruiser_guy what he did when his pre-cup dropped....

I've seen that before!! How does the liner look? The area of the liner at the precup was damaged on mine. There was also damage on the head where the precup got sandwiched between the piston and the head.

I bought a piston/con rod (I was worried about a bent con rod too) as well as the matching liner from one of the guys locally that was parting 'Cruisers. I had a machine shop press in the liner and weld up the head (make sure that the shop can weld up cast iron, not everyone can). They will need to do a valve job and valve seals too as well as machining the head. Buy a rebuild gasket set as well as seals and you will basically be doing a rebuild but not getting the full deal (saving $2000 on parts plus machine costs for three cylinders, cam bearings and cleaning). If you're keeping the truck then a full rebuild is probably a better idea for longevity.

I drove the truck for a year after this repair before I sold it so it does work though it seems to be a little hokey.

one thing to consider with only rebuilding one cylinder may be having that cylinder quite a bit more compression.The FSM stipulates maximum cylinder differences.

So fixing only one cylinder may last for a while but may put odd forces on the rest of the engine.

this is a nice BJ70? Rebuild.... or buy a parts truck and swap in another 3b. There is one forsale in Kelowna for 1k...but other side of the country.

Time buddy for a 13b-t :) Maybe only 2k above a rebuild. Talk to Sheldon( 70's guy)

Damn, sorry to hear that David, very bad situation. It is best to rebuild the whole engine, to do one cylinder is not wise - you might have to go in there again to do some more work.

I found a used 3B in Ottawa for 1500 - that is probably your best bet unless you do a complete rebuild. Call me at 613-614-7852 for his phone number.

Regards,

Louis

one thing to consider with only rebuilding one cylinder may be having that cylinder quite a bit more compression.The FSM stipulates maximum cylinder differences.

So fixing only one cylinder may last for a while but may put odd forces on the rest of the engine.

I totally agree! The truck I had was quite rusty and I had already planned on not keeping it for the long term, it was my H55 donor too!

Being that this is an east coast truck I'd imagine that the winters have not been kind to it and it is likely rusty too.

David,

Try to call Luc, he bought a BJ70 about 1 month ago for parts.

what happened to your head? I thought this was a new head. Did you still have the precups you were selling from before?

I rebuilt the head 2 years ago. I was waiting for the precup from australia... but the rebuilt shop told me the old precup still good. So I trust them and put the head back in place. I received the precup 3 day afther and sold (finaly !) it last year.

Now I can realize that was a mistake to keep the old precup.

how does the head look? How many KM's on this engine?

Might be time to just install a whole rebuild kit. New liners and pistons/rings and bushings. Do everything you can yourself. Take the block to a machine shop to get the liners and pistons installed. So the clearances are with in spec.

head look good... 272 000km. Yes, maybe time for a full rebuilt... since I plan to keep the truck until the end !

How does the liner look? The area of the liner at the precup was damaged on mine. There was also damage on the head where the precup got sandwiched between the piston and the head.

The liner is not so bad. Yes, the aera (top) of the liner look damage too. I'm waiting for my friend. He while give me some advices this afthernoon. He is a military diesel mechanic.

I found a used 3B in Ottawa for 1500 - that is probably your best bet unless you do a complete rebuild.

I can find the same deal here in the Montreal area. Thank anyway !.

The worst thing in that story : I have a 1982 BJ42 sitting beside my house. It sleep there for the winter. So I have another 3B that I can use... but... I don't what to make a sacrilege.

I give news later....

David,

Try to call Luc, he bought a BJ70 about 1 month ago for parts.

Yes, I was there yesterday. Luc was not there at the time. I saw 2 BJ70 under 40cm of smow.... put, actualy, that is my last option.

Merci

Oh another question.

For a rebuilt kit or parts. Exept Toyota, 4wheelauto, and geoff walsh (AUS), did you have other reference in Canada ?

I asking that because, if the rebuilt shop I deal with don't know well diesel landcruiser, I can maybe give other cross reference... like Hino truck.

Merci les gars !

I bought a kit from Geoff Walsh when I did a full rebuild on the 3B that went into the FJ55. It included EVERYTHING! I opted to use the OEM head gasket though rather than the Geoff Walsh kit gasket. You'll need the engine serial number as there are subtle differences between different build dates.

the 4wheelauto kit is here....

http://store.4wheelauto.com/view_product.php?product=DIEW0Z2J22

what's an ozzie kit cost? + shipping + duties. Curious.

When you start getting into 3k plus for the engine. Thinking you may need some machine shop time... would it be worth it to buy a 13b-t with low miles and be done with it?

you will have to tear the engine down anyways...even if you plan on doing 1 cylinder.
Think about it...BOOM.... all those little tiny pieces contaminating the WHOLE engine!

EVERYTHING will need a thorough cleaning...and if you go that far would a full rebuild not be wiser?

You may be able to replace 1 or 2 liners but you will have to re-ring ALL cylinders and replace all your bearings, seals and gaskets.

That is just your block....what about your head? just to replace your precups, valve seals and a valve regrind and cyl head gasket is going to cost you at least $500.00 and that is getting away easy!

IMOP it would be easier to get a good used engine for $ 1500.00 or $2000.00....... I would gestimate you ..having a shop do it....will spend at least 3000.00 for the cheap route( not a full re-sleeve rebuild)

Just my 2 cents, Daryl

Dat's a bummer. I think it's a coincidence on the cardboard in front of the rad though. I've had mine up to 220 before.

x2 As long as the bore is not scarred. I dont think the temp had much to do with it. That precup was destined to fall off

the 4wheelauto kit is here....

what's an ozzie kit cost? + shipping + duties. Curious.

Ive seen them as low as $550 + shipping for a 3B.

This company might be good to deal with and I heard a whisper that many other well known companies get their engine kits here.
They also have different brand kits for some popular diesels;)

ACL is one of their main suppliers of engine kits

http://www.engineaustralia.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom