what to do; oh what to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well, i was on the trail today when suddenly i hear "clunk; thud thud thud thud..."
i pull right over to inspect and to my utter surprise, there is half of my transfer case setting on the ground.
the part i'm talking about is where the two drivelines connect (the rest of it was still bolted to the transmission).

being the detective that my friend and i are, we discover that 3 of the four bolts holding the front driveshaft had come out of the flange.
we decided that after this happened, the drive shaft spun around the remaining bolt until it bound itself up nicely and then SNAP!
half of the tcase sitting on the ground.

now the question is:
do i just replace it?
do i get me a 4speed trans and case now?
do i get me a 4speed trans and mate it to a nice new 3speed case?
do i get me a sm420 with a 3speed case?
do i get me a sm420 with something like a np205?
or do i buy groceries this month and wait for a later time to fix it?

any idea what i could get a 3speed case for?
how about a 4speed trans AND a 3 speed case (then i would sell the 3speed trans).
any idea how inexpensively i could do anything at all for?

what would you guys do?

No matter what, you're gonna spend some cash. If you off-road frequently, especially rocks, the SM420/3speed case is hard to beat. 3 speed cases can be hard to come by, though, so you might post up on this board for one. The 71-73 versions are supposed to have the strongest case. If you go to a 4 speed/4 speed case, I think the pinion flange was different, so you may need new drivelines, or at least the 4 speed shaft short ends.

The cheapest and easiest thing will be just a new 3 speed case and bolt it back together. Then you don't need any drive shaft work, or a new linkage or anything else. Then later when you get the SM420, you'll already have a good 3 speed case for it.

I too would recommend a 3 speed case replacement. If you're interested, find out if you need the coarse spline (not sure on your year), because I've actually got the 4 speed tranny and transfer case if you want it. Pulled out of 40 to restore, and never restored. The unit has been garaged for 3 years and is in good shape. Email me at tommyiv@cox.net

Tom IV

by coarse spline, I mean the output shaft of the transmission has a 10 tooth spline. I accidentally tried to replace on in my cruiser a while back with the fine spline (19 teeth I think), and it took 3 hours to figure out how stupid I was.

Live And Learn.

Get a used 3 spd and rebuild it. Look around for just a case and put your innards in it. mate it to a 4 spd or a SM420. SM420 is much better but you will be so happy with the 4 spd tranny it will last a few years till you want the SM420. If money is tight just get the case. Plan on $300 or so in really good shape.

it's a 72fj40.
i guess i'll post in wanted for a 3speedcase (just the case)
and worry about trans another day.

and here are the pics just for fun.
tcase1.JPG

tcase2.JPG

tcase3.JPG

tcase4.JPG

tcase5.JPG

tcase6.JPG

tcase7.JPG

IMO, don't reuse those gears/shafts either. I had a t-case "blow up" on me, and the shock of the carnage also trashed the mainshaft of the tranny...unnoticable to the naked eye, but when I reinstalled the tranny with a "new" t-case, it vibrated due to a bent mainshaft.

Course, if that happens, it's a good excuse to drop in a granny gear :D

good plan.
looking for a 3speed case if any of you have one.
i'm thinking i might do the sm420 while i'm under there.
anyone know what a 3speed trans will go for?

So, sucks to be you huh! Bolt a new case in and get to wheeling again. Spend to much cash and the wife might get mad. Dont get it fixed soon and friends will be mad. Anyway i am sure i will help you out with it right. good luck russy!

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=5950;start=msg47859#msg47859 date=1065458273]
anyone know what a 3speed trans will go for?
[/quote]

ie: what you can sell it for? $40 if it has the floor shift, $0 if it doesn't...lol

Unfortunately, they are rarely worth anything cept to purists who insist on keeping this stock, otherwise people upgrade to grannies or 4-speeds.

I threw both of mine in the garbage.

Just saw on CCOT a 3spd TC FS. Asking $150. Get it and a rebuild kit and go. I can rebuild it for you if needed. Hit me off line. I will buy the 3spd trany for the cost of shipping it to me :flipoff2:

Not sure if you skipped my post, but I just moved my 4 speed transmission and transfer case to the back of the garage. You can post in the wanted section if you wish. I'm in FL though, not sure on your location. EMAIL ME if you want it.
I'd consider separating.

tommyiv@cox.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom