What to do in 4 days in the Phoenix area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from Austin Texas. Planning a four day trip with the wife and adult kids to the Phoenix area In October. I wish I was driving my 60 and have more time but we will be flying in to Phoenix on a Saturday early morning and flying back to Texas on Tuesday late evening. We plan to spend a day in Sedona and a day in the Grand Canyon south rim. I know our time is limited but is there any recommendations on where to go or what else to do In the area. Where to eat? Where to go drink some good beer. I read that there’s a train going from Williams to the South rim, is it worth it? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Luis aka @meatloaf

I'm sure @medtro already has a list of links for you :rofl:

October is a good time to see the Grand Canyon, one of the busier times for sure.

The Grand Canyon Railroad is pretty cool, I haven't been on it for 20 years but I doubt it has changed much. An alternative is to get a rental jeep in PHX or Sedona, do some trails there then drive up through Flagstaff and take the 180 to the south rim. Red mountain along the way is a cool short hike - especially if you have never seen a cinder cone volcano. Sunset crater/volcano, walnut canyon and wupatki are really cool to see too, just NE of Flag. Not sure what those look like since the fires this year, but I know Wupatki was untouched. Lots of places to stay in Flag and lots of good breweries.

Also, if you don't have any reason to go to PHX you can fly into Flagstaff with a layover in Denver. Supposedly that route is ending sometime in Oct.

Train to GC is a nice option. I would take it, stay overnight at the El Tovar, and return the next day.

If you are heading to Sedona from PHX, seriously consider taking the route from PHX, to Wickenburg (see the Vulture mine), to Yarnell (Movie: Only the Brave - Memorial on the way up the hill) to Prescott (Willow and Watson Lake, Granite Dells); Jerome (Mine museum) through the verde (Tuzigoot-National monument) and then to Jerome. From Jerome up to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon and then to Flag (Salsa Brava Restaurant, my favorite Mexican food in AZ, Top or Mount Elden or up to the Snow Bowl) From there up to Williams or the GC. This will give you a very good cross section of what AZ has to offer. Still much more out there but you will be hard pressed to find a better 1 day trip with no stops, or 2 to 3 with stops, in AZ that time of year. I still would stay away from most of the AZ lower desert, 90s are still a possibility.

If it is mid to late October, leaves will be changing and be prepared for the possibility of snow and cold temps above 6k feet. Probably won't happen but, best to be prepared.

Good eats in Flagstaff are the Tinderbox, Diablo Burger and pizzacletta. I often like to get beers at Mother Road Brewery and then pizzas from Pizzacletta (next door). It’s a good time. I also recommend Indian Gardens in Oak Creek Canyon (between Sedona and Flagstaff) for a great lunch in beautiful scenery. If you go that way, I also recommend hiking the Westfork trail to stretch your legs a bit. Gorgeous hike that time of year.

Good eats in Flagstaff are the Tinderbox, Diablo Burger and pizzacletta. I often like to get beers at Mother Road Brewery and then pizzas from Pizzacletta (next door). It’s a good time. I also recommend Indian Gardens in Oak Creek Canyon (between Sedona and Flagstaff) for a great lunch in beautiful scenery. If you go that way, I also recommend hiking the Westfork trail to stretch your legs a bit. Gorgeous hike that time of year.
It has been 40 years since I hiked and fished the west fork, how has it stood up to the recent fires?

Thank you all for the information…. Looking forward to our trip,

It has been 40 years since I hiked and fished the west fork, how has it stood up to the recent fires?
Lush and riparian as ever!

depending on when you are in the Phoenix area, we could take you out on the trails :steer:

@DSRTRDR , Thank you very much for the offer!!! But we are flying in and rented a midsize car. My wife and daughter are not into trails. I am going to have to take a rain check and drive my 60 there.

🍺🍺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom