What questions should I be asking when buying? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

This is my second post here on the forum, and I'm still currently looking for an 80 series within driving distance of where I live. I've started to look through the classifieds here, and I've continued scouring through craigslist, cars, and auto-trader listings, but even when I find a possible option I still feel like I'm not asking the proper questions to get to the bottom of the quality of the truck. I know to ask if the head gasket has been replaced or if its overheating, and of course I know to ask for pictures of the undercarriage so I can see how much rust is on the truck, but beyond that I've got nothing.

If some of you all could maybe give a noobie some suggestions on questions to be asking when buying, and just things to keep an eye out for, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

You should find someone who knows what there doing to come with you to look at prospective vehicles.

Don't ask I would give it a good visual inspection and a good test drive, test all switches and functions look under hood for
signs of varmint occupation they like to chew on wire harness. Good luck on your search, check for rust too.

Hey everyone,

This is my second post here on the forum, and I'm still currently looking for an 80 series within driving distance of where I live. I've started to look through the classifieds here, and I've continued scouring through craigslist, cars, and auto-trader listings, but even when I find a possible option I still feel like I'm not asking the proper questions to get to the bottom of the quality of the truck. I know to ask if the head gasket has been replaced or if its overheating, and of course I know to ask for pictures of the undercarriage so I can see how much rust is on the truck, but beyond that I've got nothing.

If some of you all could maybe give a noobie some suggestions on questions to be asking when buying, and just things to keep an eye out for, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Its also not just what questions to ask but to know what the good/bad answers should be.

If they say X, Y and Z were down, can they back it up with paperwork/receipts to show it was

I'd ask how much they want for it. Other than that, I want to see for myself.

Front axle service.

It’s a good barometer of how well that 80 has lived.
If it’s got “birf soup” spraying both the inner front tire sidewalls, it need alot more than just that. Like a full coolant hose/phh,fhh, & heater valve R&R, maybe even pipes to RR heater if you plan to keep that working.

It’s a wet dream if someone has a receipt for a FAS, that would be an 80 that lived a great suburban mundane life.

If you’re after one pre-modded, I’d want documentation on the mods - some people do some real silly things if it’s not a shop we as a collective say “bring your junk to _______”.

Otherwise, buy as stock as possible so you know what mods were done to what level of quality.

And, if you see Scotch-locks & other hinky connectors in the wire harness, just pass. Those stupid connections can be the bain of and vehicle ownership - to the point I don’t buy ‘Yotas with chopped harnesses.

The nicer the neighborhood it comes from, then generally the lower # of owners & better maintenance it got. Super generalization, but holds some truth.

Here you go...

Front axel service?

Any cracks in the windshield?

Phh Replaced?

Head gasket issues?

Seats functioning?

Windows functioning?

Any oil leaks?

Rust?

there's no substitute for getting into the truck yourself and testing it all out

[says the woman who bought her first cruiser over the phone sight-unseen :rofl: - well, after that phone call settled the price, I sent hubby to look at it :hillbilly:]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom