what part of the hub are rotors centric to? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not having much luck finding a solution to my rear brake problem. I have HJ61 axles which have been converted for rear disc. they came without discs, but I was told normal 60 rotors would work. Even after wire brushing everything, I can't get them to mount. The axles did have rotors on the fronts, so I pulled these and my new rotors have identical dimensions.

My understanding is that most all rotors are hub centric . So my question is this, which part of the hub? Per the pic below, I would assume it is the outer ring, because this is where things are stuck for me and it is slightly beveled suggesting it would allow a good snug fit. But if it is or could be centric to the narrower part, it would be easier to either machine the rotor or grind back the hub to allow it to slide on.

I obviously ant the rotor fixed and centered for vibration and control, just wondering if folks have views on an approach here. Near as I can measure I am maybe 2 mm out on the diameter.

Inked20210103_163704_LI.jpg

I would continue to sand number one better. The pitting might be your sticking point?

I've had rotors stuck on the outer part of the hub...#1. Like Bill said, maybe clean that up (smooth) and see if they slip on.

1" more, than maybe the rotors aren't right? Are they name brand rotors? Do you have some old ones around to try fit?

I did pull the old rotor off of the front and measured the dimensions, identical to the new ones. I don't have a micrometer that can measure the outside dimension of the hub, but it seems like its about 1.5 to 2mm too wide on the diameter - could just be corrosion, i don't know.

The machinist will for sure be able to turn the hubs down, but once that's done, there is no going back. I am thinking of asking them to turn the hubs to true, and then any additional material off the rotors.

No definitive answer on which is centric - I suspect it is the larger beveled lug ring. I am leaving the smaller diameter alone, a friend from the club is turning the lug portion of the hub to match the rotors making potential future replacements easier.
Big test is whether or not once mounted, the rotors line up with the calipers i have, if yes, proceed with wilwood mc4 emergency brake mounts. If not, I dunno, maybe revert to drums??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom