what jeep tcase works with sm420 and stock fj40 axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I found an SM420 for my 40 and it is in the right price zone for me. But, the sm420 was in a 65 Fj40 with stock axles and the tcase is a jeep tcase.

Anyone know what jeep tcase would work with an sm420 and stock fj40 axles?

I can't ask him since he is out of town for a week. I am trying to figure out what tcase it is to see if I can sell it to a jeep guy and get some of my money back or if it might be something I might consider leaving in if it is a stronger tcase than my stock 3 speed. (but it would need to have 2 low option like my existing case)

It is already attached to the transmission with an adapter. All I would need is the adapter to the F motor.

Does the dan 18 have the option for 2 high, 2 low, 4 high, and 4 low?

My front end is locked and I really need to keep the 2 low option so I do not have to lock and unlock my hubs all the time.

It is already attached to the transmission with an adapter. All I would need is the adapter to the F motor.

And change your drive shafts.

And change your drive shafts.

I believe he kept his stock driveshafts with no modifications to them (including length). He must have changed the flanges to work with toyota DLs.

Does the dan 18 have the option for 2 high, 2 low, 4 high, and 4 low?

My front end is locked and I really need to keep the 2 low option so I do not have to lock and unlock my hubs all the time.

The Dana Spicer Model 18 Transfer Case - Novak Conversions
What are you gonna do about an e-brake?
Low gear sets: Product Review: Tera 3.15:1 gear set for Dana 18 and Dana 20 Transfer cases

Jeep Dana 300 might also be an option.

IH Dana 300 is different

Only if he wants to run a misaligned driveshaft as the D300 is centered. May not be an issue on the trail w/ slow speeds, but on the highway, I'd bet a lot of vibration will occur.

Agreed

Only if he wants to run a misaligned driveshaft as the D300 is centered. May not be an issue on the trail w/ slow speeds, but on the highway, I'd bet a lot of vibration will occur.

To my knowledge, Woody has no problems with his Dana 300 setup in "The Raisin" at highway speed.

It is not a d300. Had one of those in my old CJ. I think the first post was correct in a D18. I think I may keep that combo since I can still have 2 low. It is all for naught if we cannot strike a deal.

Thanks for identifying the tcase and it is good to know that later on, I can put even lower gearing in.

Wouldn't a driveshaft remain vibration free as long as the output shaft from the transfer case and the pinion shaft are parallel? Why would it matter if they are not lined up in any particular direction? I don't think a driveshaft knows which way is up. Would changing DS angles as the vehicles suspension flexes dramatically alter u-joint phasing? I've never seen a problem with this but since I don't know of any vehicles built with offset DS angles (other than vertical) I've always assumed it was wrong. Double cardans are another matter altogether, of course.

Sorry if this is a hijack.

To my knowledge, Woody has no problems with his Dana 300 setup in "The Raisin" at highway speed.

Brian has a centered rear axle that he built in his junk....

:meh:

Hi All:

As has been mentioned, it is very easy to bolt-up a Land Cruiser F engine to the SM420.

Plate adapters have been used for years to bolt-up Land Cruiser one-piece t-cases to the SM420.

The Land Cruiser one-piece t-case can be run in 2-low by simply notching-out the shift gate plate on the shift assembly.

This SM420/Dana18 combo does not seem worth the extra hassle IMO.

Regards,

Alan

Unless this Jeep t-case is in perfect condition and easily adaptable to your Land Cruiser, I'd ditch it in favor of an Orion, or a 3 speed case, in that order.

SM420 to 3 speed case has been done a million times and is fully worked out.

I've run a 420 to 3 speed case for years, and always thought I'd break the case and never did. I even have a spare case! The point is, it isn't a bad option.

If cost and time is not a problem, I think I'd center up the rear diff with a 14 bolt, and run an atlas.

BTW-The adapter for the Sm420 to an F motor is the F motor bellhousing, a special pilot bearing and a chevy 10.5 inch clutch friction disk. It's all bolt up, and couldn't be easier.

BTW-The adapter for the Sm420 to an F motor is the F motor bellhousing, a special pilot bearing and a chevy 10.5 inch clutch friction disk. It's all bolt up, and couldn't be easier.

I also used an indexing ring around the nose cone of the SM420 so it would fit tightly in the F bellhousing hole, and a sleeve welded to the nose cone for the throwout bearing.

Maybe there are ways around these other parts, I dunno.

Regardless, it really is easy to bolt an SM420 to a F. I did it when I was 17, young and dumb. :D

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like this is going to work out for me. It is the 420 with the Dana 18 already adapted to it. From what I nderstand, the 18 has the 4 options for 2 high/low and 4 high/low. This was my biggest concern. THe 18 also has a lot of options for lower gearing in the future. All I need is to make my own twin stick shifters for it. It is adapted for toyota drivelines.

All I need is the adapter plate for the 420 to the F engine and the 3 chevy 3 speed clutch disk (plus a few minor parts). If I keep my 3 speed case, I will need another adapter for that. It seems like I would be spending a lot of extra money on the second adapter for a case that ins't as strong and ready to go in.

Anyone have a good lead on the adapter plates to mate the 420 to an F that don't break the bank? Most I have seen are in the 300 plus zones.

Do I need to make a new cross member for the tcase or will it set up the same way as the stock tranny and tcase?

Slickrock---THERE IS NO ADAPTER NEEDED. The plate adapters are to adapt the transmission to the transfer case.

Seriously, the SM420 will bolt up to the Land Cruiser 3 speed bell housing. There is not another plate adapter needed.

When I posted before, I forgot the index ring, but with that ring, and a new pilot bearing and the clutch disc, you are good to go. Get the bits from EBI.

It is a very easy swap. That's a nice deal the Dana 18 case will work out for you.

Andrew-

Did you not have to do anything to the nose cone for the throwout bearing?

When I installed my SM420, I had to either weld/braze a sleeve to the nose cone or redrill the 3 spd nose cone and install onto the SM420.

Slickrock---THERE IS NO ADAPTER NEEDED. The plate adapters are to adapt the transmission to the transfer case.

Seriously, the SM420 will bolt up to the Land Cruiser 3 speed bell housing. There is not another plate adapter needed.

When I posted before, I forgot the index ring, but with that ring, and a new pilot bearing and the clutch disc, you are good to go. Get the bits from EBI.

It is a very easy swap. That's a nice deal the Dana 18 case will work out for you.

Right on DREW!!! I need to take a look at the parts I will need in that case and MINUS an adapter for the tranny to 3 speed bell housing!

Quick look through to get this bolted to my engine are Chevy clutch disk, EBI's SM420 INDEX RING for F bell housing, SM420 PILOT BEARING SPACER and misc gaskets.
Sound about right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom