What is this part? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having a look underneath my recently acquired '97 HZJ80 and noticed a pretty loose looking rubber connector or cover. I believe this is the transmission but I couldn't find any diagrams that told me what this part is/does. The car was also with a mechanic a week ago for an inspection and he didn't mention anything near the transmission. Would this being loose explain the oil all around it too?(it looked so loose it may as well not have been there, I tried to stuff it in a bit while I was there before taking the picture)

Thanks in advance!

0HDpw18JmiySGxKj_JuX7UF1PzJUA5oM6bArsFOlE-Z82ejyCRuqipuagOUYRbMoYqBQ7JoXubsrJTo9kGRPveX6ak_QyVKluVnZC6i8T3SJMC_GTlM-RsVq4pzQmJk_q51sAXvcXuHUzTPVWpG9CpqAuPKLjtXsiPRHcLTMOCdkyBCZoUzsHIC-bxsBDuZYluA6mOAYq2MzoFV78VMy4ja6tZL6EbFfLCMPvansiLDvX_7NiaZw5scIxqDWlmYTXBs_wg9aW3bDX7CY0GRj8kPkGt1x2vMYo5VxkCFioQ9zqQmiv2cRx__JzDkvUp0JDYzMlBf6VSlg-COxtUGRQjoU48yKYx0vSvY1rt2mxdKLZ6dYOvDwHa48-fESqt0bsShfLGaAXCZcpTeKeidF-TX-4gHsO-xhpE-QP2yGuDbgp4ko3NF6BeKWB_jFhDG2CrIR7pIziq06goxJAh-PdUo-O7ZXP5YaKRQbSfssZBiodpbNlWu-1RKVnr1dlduKvFV7uVoB10pBA6jR4deqd58KVk5gQvBrlOA9a9WbJ5tntFMoYaMh5PWn-Tcyl0XK3kyPQ-7yltJIJWb_Bo0ap04ii0phu1bUBm4BRZcnbzVh4U-rn6x_hB8yxHP3VKP-r_G6sFA02yY_JQrJI6TsZS1siluoCShWsHAM3uhwDs3mw1xUKK_snRvJ5B7-RHKjSH2CADm0LNMq7n_ewIlytGU-18Hm3MnJxGMr2y_oGe7bEb7kBCeL2EYwj2ft=w706-h937-no
ZgQXjGLqK-PKDEiRE5SxquaBkf7teNGjqB48xkihwWvnNzuS92mo6JnUgW10uz1rwJTUzBlSv55R5mbT1jsEAK_O3TbgoUhyX0Wz7CjT6DHjQN7YlG9UMoiqS4JSQX163UBiCMV94xn7FCToigL8ET9OWh_AxuuvdzSSshMHfU5t7Mg95tDIQWCDCGPn2WVn21Acfsem93u249P8UEPVwWwse3gtODqxy7OPzpEcYodA9mPaZwiMZJoRl6yDC1_AsyK7xJGZ6RR0doLydG2Qm50ibfwb2yCchWbAoXkFg08bDg6fjGIOUqQH2DPFHB9HKntNGkvCWwx5Y4SD4LMuv6aKHKOqPZxv7wbaMWoSbVpYMZAhB8w7nYAcKdZvlpCfo3Lq22XXeywV3pdiM9-tOzGF1tuzNM_XE7bHwDoiUizp8qWaSyVExnh3KK9q2b2cNpaXE6DOqw0YWcZW8555Uy61JXd7bFYN1L3c0TNBULM177GCDWf2YrZnsNOLPf9Ebyz5pu_AdJyncAO46Y46759F1Pq5dp47rgyqygVbseUid2Vq4jbfd1gur0eKi4-zk9I2e8b6bguu7kxabhWnCxW5U0FwFgjUrAJoR3zm9SQbitUPmdpA0tuRcZVpTkDvPgWAAC7vxw9UMsgom41ZnaE5U1xC7ExMKh72YX3hWgd-_ZSm9yhXACrsuuW0-NG-mY-sQvNcGLTbTVXb5P4xBS7OTRWrNq6BQXaIfvlYI-mvHZEOj2eWf8_rOkiF=w706-h937-no

Do you mean the boot for the clutch fork? Looks like a manual trans. There shouldn’t be any fluid in the bell housing there, unless you have a rear main seal leaking. Or maybe the upper arch seal for the pan (not sure what that looks like on a manual)

Clutch is supposed to be dry. I agree the issue could be rear main seal leaking which is a gearbox/transfer out job to repair since the clutch and flywheel need to be removed to access the seal.

Boot is for the clutch fork as already mentioned. Directly in front of the fork sticking out through the boot will be clutch slave cylinder.

Do you mean the boot for the clutch fork? Looks like a manual trans. There shouldn’t be any fluid in the bell housing there, unless you have a rear main seal leaking. Or maybe the upper arch seal for the pan (not sure what that looks like on a manual)
That must be it, kept thinking it might be for the gear stick, didn't even think of the clutch. Thanks for those tips too.

Based on the oil slick coming down, I would say your valve cover is leaking.

There is nothing wrong with the clutch fork boot. It is still properly installed.

It's already known to have a leaky head gasket, could that explain the oil?
HG usually don't leak oil.

I'm guessing it all just needs some maintenance.

Oil is coming from the top of the engine and getting blown back onto the gearbox IMO.

Rear of the sump is dry, so I'd say it's not main seal, and not oil pan gasket.

The rubber boot is just a dust cover around the clutch fork to keep dust and water out of the bell housing and of the clutch. It's not a seal as such.

Oil is coming from the top of the engine and getting blown back onto the gearbox IMO.

Rear of the sump is dry, so I'd say it's not main seal, and not oil pan gasket.

The rubber boot is just a dust cover around the clutch fork to keep dust and water out of the bell housing and of the clutch. It's not a seal as such.
I do like the sound of it not being the main seal or oil pan. I think I'm going to start another thread about the engine because there definitely is a leak coming from somewhere, mechanic thinks it's the HG but I'm hanging on to what BILT4ME said...
Based on the oil slick coming down, I would say your valve cover is leaking.
HG usually don't leak oil.
Hopefully it is the valve cover because that looks a lot easier to do at home, but the mechanic said he could see some bubbling, I haven't gotten round to checking for myself but I think that would be a big giveaway.

In my experience, take most aussie mechanics' advice with a pinch of salt. If you're able and willing, you'd be a lot better investing in some good quality tools and learning to work on the truck yourself. A 1HZ is very simple and good place to learn!

It's very unlikely that the HG is leaking externally.

Last edited:
Get yourself some good degreaser, give it a good soak and do your best to wash away the oil on the engine.
Then see if you can see fresh oil staining after running it for a couple of days.

I also think it's unlikely the head gasket is the problem (not impossible), and fat more likely that it's the rubber gasket on the valve cover. They harden over time. They are cheap, and easy to swap, even if you're a novice.

Plenty of help available here if you need guidance before attacking it.

That just looks like a boot that covers the shifter fork for your manual transmission.

Was this mechanic a Land Cruiser guy or deals with off road rigs?
I would honestly take your rig over to the guys at...

Blue Flame Automotive
58 Garden Street North Narrabeen,
NSW, Australia 2101

I take a pressure sprayer full of a good water based degreaser like Meguiar's super degreaser and spray it liberally over the underside, let it soak for a while, spray again and then put a raincoat on and hang out underneath for a while with a pressure washer. I usually do the first round at the local coin-op car wash to save my concrete from the grease - get a few funny looks but nevermind!

That just looks like a boot that covers the shifter fork for your manual transmission.

Was this mechanic a Land Cruiser guy or deals with off road rigs?
I would honestly take your rig over to the guys at...

Blue Flame Automotive
58 Garden Street North Narrabeen,
NSW, Australia 2101

What basis does a guy from AZ have to recommend a shop in Sydney? Some context may help.

The "Landcruiser guy" thing is less of an issue in Aus, though still relevant for sure. The challenge is finding a competent, reputable mechanic in general.

Something like 30% of ALL diesel Landcruisers are in Australia. Landcruisers generally are far more common than in the states.

What basis does a guy from AZ have to recommend a shop in Sydney? Some context may help.

The "Landcruiser guy" thing is less of an issue in Aus, though still relevant for sure. The challenge is finding a competent, reputable mechanic in general.

Something like 30% of ALL diesel Landcruisers are in Australia. Landcruisers generally are far more common than in the states.

I am just basing my judgement off of what I have seen on social media regarding their builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom