What is this/How do I get rid of it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am done with stripping the rear portion of the tub, and moving onto the front.

I have come across this indestructible goo.
I assume it's sound dampening, and my main concern is getting rid of it, so if anyone has any tips/advice It's all welcome.

IMG-0941.jpg

IMG-0940.jpg

Get a block of dry ice. Lay it on top for a bit and it should just break off while you hit or scrape it with a hammer.

YouTube videos on it.
And there are a few threads on how to do here or in the 60 section.

This was 30 min or so with hammer and good scraper. Scraper was cleaned off and sharpened several times. Dry ice would have been used if I was removing more than a small spot. Mineral spirits and a rag to clean the little pieces and residue.

8CA0D242-C16E-4D5A-B0D6-6713DABFB7D8.jpeg

C2E4A23B-170D-423D-B88D-3491653E79D2.jpeg

Dry ice. Soooo much easier.

If it's the same stuff that was in my pickup, it definitely comes out quicker when cold. I didn't have dry ice so I used frozen gel packs. I started out using a hammer and wide chisel and it worked pretty good. I switched to a wide curved chisel that I dulled down on my air chisel. Took it off in large sheets. Be careful with the angle of the tool so you don't punch through the floor.

I was surprised at how heavy this stuff is. The trash can weighed a ton.

I like the dry ice idea. I used the heat gun/scraper/oscillating scraper (too loud)/elbow grease method. Took a while, but then again, so has the whole damn project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom