What is this? Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was removing my oil filter with the assistance of a removal strap and when I went back to install the new filter I saw this wire hanging. It appears that the plastic connector broke. Looking through the Electrical Wiring manual, it appears to be the crank shaft position sensor. Sounds important. The connector fit back together, but I am not sure it is going to hold.

Can anyone help?

(By the way, this is not a picture of my truck. I pulled the picture from this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/294501-trick-removing-stubborn-oil-filter.html)
111_1182.jpg

no the crank position sensor would be in the block not in the head like that one. I'd say it is a coolant temp sensor.

I think its a dicfur

+1 I think is a coolant sensor since it's only got 1 wire.

Or it could be Updoc.
:hmm:

So if it's a coolant sensor, what will happen if it falls out (disconnects)?

How easy is it to replace?

So if it's a coolant sensor, what will happen if it falls out (disconnects)?

How easy is it to replace?

You can normally disassemble the OEM connectors and repair a wire pulling out. You'll need a "pick" tool most likely to pull it apart.

Ok. From the diagram on Toyodiy.com it appears to be a knock sensor.

I can't believe more 80 owners haven't broken it before.

[STRIKE]Yes, I am farily certain it is the #1 knock sensor.[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
The picture you are showing is a coolant sensor. So if the picture is correct, then no knock sensor is broken. The knock sensors are in two positions on the block, not the head. The knock sensor has a one wire connector going to it as well. It is almost in line but a little above the oil filter Typically between 2-3 cylinders as the other one is between 5-6 cylinders.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing this up Robbie.

Last edited:
Ok. Here is an actual picture from my truck and in the picture the sensor has been pulled out of it's housing. It appears the plastic clip that holds it in place is broken, but the sensor stays in place when driving.

So...knock? coolant?

If it falls out or disconnects while driving, is it just going to throw a code or something else like eject the passenger seat?
IMG_20110525_193942.jpg

The picture you are showing is a coolant sensor. So if the picture is correct, then no knock sensor is broken. The knock sensors are in two positions on the block, not the head. The knock sensor has a one wire connector going to it as well. It is almost in line but a little above the oil filter Typically between 2-3 cylinders as the other one is between 5-6 cylinders.

Powderpig...thanks for the reply.

Is there any negatives if it falls out while driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom