What is the largest tire I can fit with no lift? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rod,

Thanks for posting those photos.....!!!!! Any chance you can get a true "side profile" shot of the truck?

I'm assuming that the truck has no lift (looks 100% stock)...

At this point, I'm totally conflicted between just slapping on a set of K02s in the stock size (275/70-16) or going up to the 285s like you just did and getting a "meatier" looking setup on there. Most of the photos of LCs with the 285s are lifted also (which looks awesome!) but I'm concerned that on an otherwise stock vehicle, the 285 might just feel/look a bit too crowded in the wheelwells???

I'd appreciate any feedback or comments you've got about your initial impressions of the tire so far.

-G

I have relied on the advice of other owners through this fantastic forum as far as the fit and flex goes.

This truck is totally stock on a tired suspension.
The tires really fill up the wheel wells with absolutely no rubbing (spare too).

I haven't wheeled this rig yet, so not really sure about room for movement.
The plan is to do some trail running with my son in the Ouachita National Forest this weekend to know for sure.

This is my best poser pic from the side profile.
jcQtpDDMnKN0dLTIjGGI326SEgKWCM19dlgEGp16JaYvBIeuxTWLmcyfMrNROPuM5-UzPSCUuZ9uap9RW_YLGV4IyLb3__kFkZxs3Rh7eWEaLeD2jXW4Qn7MS1G46XsD0iEavKaFbbZYNz1pX6o4CqFqkpQgOLUBT9b9tM-yhI1WjVnbRqF_7b3uoo93YjFHuVS02jY9MmDoIh-bggZ_dTozmj8OGpr_CJdG98-NZYq9L6OxM2-uDPxLhRx3uKYBWGmH9NuQ63tLgMsMTqyZ8AoCHDvVgMDEeY_cLLLWQ48SSwaH6Zr5PNbczDoAq1AEIDR3Dg12DJizynWF10fwIoaFYZTOa7g2ePC7hW5ZCzPTbtQox_k-lIrwFtkz6rB8YHPwd0EER_bWauQJW9PHoBUp-qQLaBRRDGXpWPtX_hMZ-CKcsIO74aQUyOOWEyB17RjgUW1j9kcZbsWkMlIC-7946gCDAFOZMzzenbeSMQMRBgtdS4Z7H2o2u6dR6t1Bt0EFg4CA1GwdJQEd29iGiFsYT-sQ-bS8pY9EX6TYAfJQ98JrFrc3FbmCJLla6oTtiTXcCAB6kPvczSaeH-B5k08FY90YB90=w1280-h720-no

I have relied on the advice of other owners through this fantastic forum as far as the fit and flex goes.

This truck is totally stock on a tired suspension.
The tires really fill up the wheel wells with absolutely no rubbing (spare too).

I haven't wheeled this rig yet, so not really sure about room for movement.
The plan is to do some trail running with my son in the Ouachita National Forest this weekend to know for sure.

This is my best poser pic from the side profile.
jcQtpDDMnKN0dLTIjGGI326SEgKWCM19dlgEGp16JaYvBIeuxTWLmcyfMrNROPuM5-UzPSCUuZ9uap9RW_YLGV4IyLb3__kFkZxs3Rh7eWEaLeD2jXW4Qn7MS1G46XsD0iEavKaFbbZYNz1pX6o4CqFqkpQgOLUBT9b9tM-yhI1WjVnbRqF_7b3uoo93YjFHuVS02jY9MmDoIh-bggZ_dTozmj8OGpr_CJdG98-NZYq9L6OxM2-uDPxLhRx3uKYBWGmH9NuQ63tLgMsMTqyZ8AoCHDvVgMDEeY_cLLLWQ48SSwaH6Zr5PNbczDoAq1AEIDR3Dg12DJizynWF10fwIoaFYZTOa7g2ePC7hW5ZCzPTbtQox_k-lIrwFtkz6rB8YHPwd0EER_bWauQJW9PHoBUp-qQLaBRRDGXpWPtX_hMZ-CKcsIO74aQUyOOWEyB17RjgUW1j9kcZbsWkMlIC-7946gCDAFOZMzzenbeSMQMRBgtdS4Z7H2o2u6dR6t1Bt0EFg4CA1GwdJQEd29iGiFsYT-sQ-bS8pY9EX6TYAfJQ98JrFrc3FbmCJLla6oTtiTXcCAB6kPvczSaeH-B5k08FY90YB90=w1280-h720-no

Looks Awesome! I found that pic in the "What Have you Done to your 100" thread a few minutes ago. :)

I'm really tempted to go 285s now.

How is the look of the tire/wheel combo looking down the side of the truck? Any thoughts on adding a set of wheel spacers to push the tires further toward the outer edge of the wheelwell? I am debating this change as well. Spidertrax/SLEE offers a hubcentric set of 1.25" wheelspacers (the only manufacturer that does IIRC) that might make the look even MORE aggressive.

I've never found an image of a stock height LC with 285s and wheelspacers (YET!) but I think that's going to be my "ultimate" combination....

Thanks!

-G

Hi All,

I have been up and down this thread and others looking for a clear answer, but couldn't find it...so at the risk of a flaming...

Will 275/70/18 tires fit on a stock 100 series, with NO AHC (year 2000), and not rub during full articulation/flex, etc?

Signed,
Fully prepared for verbal abuse and links to the answer that I must have missed :)

I ran 275/70R18.

Yes, 275/70R18 will fit, no rub at turn, no rub at full stuff. Might get a little benign rubbing at the inside of the rear fender well in the rear a full stuff.

Suspension lift does not affect your ability to fit tires.

Hi All,

I have been up and down this thread and others looking for a clear answer, but couldn't find it...so at the risk of a flaming...

Will 275/70/18 tires fit on a stock 100 series, with NO AHC (year 2000), and not rub during full articulation/flex, etc?

Signed,
Fully prepared for verbal abuse and links to the answer that I must have missed :)

Why is no one talking about 285/75r17 tires? I recently came across a good deal on some Rock Warrior wheels and I'm in need of some new rubber....I LOVE the 255/85r16 KM2's on my 80 series...they are magic in the snow and ice after being siped...I'm afraid 255/80r17's would look at little weird on the 100 series, even with spacers...I like the idea of a 34" tire, the 34x10.50's KO2's are the perfect size in my opinion, but they are WAY TOO expensive.

Anyone run 285/75r17 on their 100 series? I get there is tons of 285/75r16 talk...I get that, but the 17" is bigger at 33.9"...Will it stuff in the spare location? All of my trucks run MT's and I'm thinking this one should probably be an AT since it will be the main family vehicle for road trips. I was thinking Toyo ATII Extreme at 285/75r17...I can't even find a google image of a 100 series on 285/75r17's...someone HAS to have tried it...right?

Why is no one talking about 285/75r17 tires? I recently came across a good deal on some Rock Warrior wheels and I'm in need of some new rubber....I LOVE the 255/85r16 KM2's on my 80 series...they are magic in the snow and ice after being siped...I'm afraid 255/80r17's would look at little weird on the 100 series, even with spacers...I like the idea of a 34" tire, the 34x10.50's KO2's are the perfect size in my opinion, but they are WAY TOO expensive.

Anyone run 285/75r17 on their 100 series? I get there is tons of 285/75r16 talk...I get that, but the 17" is bigger at 33.9"...Will it stuff in the spare location? All of my trucks run MT's and I'm thinking this one should probably be an AT since it will be the main family vehicle for road trips. I was thinking Toyo ATII Extreme at 285/75r17...I can't even find a google image of a 100 series on 285/75r17's...someone HAS to have tried it...right?

Wow, I was just logging on to ask the same question!

Per an earlier post in this thread, I was looking at the 275/70/18 set-up in anticipation of getting tundra wheels for my stock 2000 LC...but, inspired by SanDiegoCruiser's pic below, I bought the same set of 200 series wheels off of craig's list on a deal I couldn't pass up. In SanDiegoCruiser's signature he is running 28/75/17s, but lifted....so here I am, back into the "what size tire can fit in stock cruiser" tailspin asking the same question as "haas" above.

Any feedback on experience on this set-up with stock rig would be appreciated!...hoping to pick up the wheels in a couple weeks and start the process of de-malling/soccer momming my rig...tormented over choosing the wrong tire size.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1401131188-957379-jpg.900923

285/75/17 is an awesome tire size but almost impossible to find 5x150 lug type in the 17 wheel for the 100.

285/75/17 is an awesome tire size but almost impossible to find 5x150 lug type in the 17 wheel for the 100.

Thanks for the reply War Wagon...I was able to score the exact wheels that SanDiegoCruiser has (200 series wheels) so got lucky there....do you know if the 285/75/17 tire will actually fit though? I would think 33.9" is getting close to the edge of fitting in a stock rig and not rubbing under articulation

Think I've settled on a tire...I'm going to mount the new 285/75r17 Falken AT3w to my 5 Rock Warriors. Relatively inexpensive, good review in FourWheeler, and they have the winter rating which is probably a good thing for the wife's DD here in Breckenridge, CO. It'll be my first non MT I've ever bought in the history of me buying tires...but this will be mostly street for now. I'm going to install the SLEE AHC override switch to test out the tire fitment at different heights. If I need to lift a little with the AHC, I will. I've got a Slee diff drop sitting around waiting to get mounted.

Bad News is, now that I have decided on a tire...Black Friday is almost here...so I will wait. ARGH!

Wow, I was just logging on to ask the same question!

Per an earlier post in this thread, I was looking at the 275/70/18 set-up in anticipation of getting tundra wheels for my stock 2000 LC...but, inspired by SanDiegoCruiser's pic below, I bought the same set of 200 series wheels off of craig's list on a deal I couldn't pass up. In SanDiegoCruiser's signature he is running 28/75/17s, but lifted....so here I am, back into the "what size tire can fit in stock cruiser" tailspin asking the same question as "haas" above.

Any feedback on experience on this set-up with stock rig would be appreciated!...hoping to pick up the wheels in a couple weeks and start the process of de-malling/soccer momming my rig...tormented over choosing the wrong tire size.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1401131188-957379-jpg.900923
Nice setup!

WARNING thread hijack (although it looks like this one may have run it's course) ...

have you (or other readers) ever been pulled over or questioned by law enforcement for mounting compressed cylinders on the OUTSIDE of your rig? I'd like to mount two 80-cuft scuba tanks on the ladder swingout mount and have been holding off

we now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast

Think I've settled on a tire...I'm going to mount the new 285/75r17 Falken AT3w to my 5 Rock Warriors. Relatively inexpensive, good review in FourWheeler, and they have the winter rating which is probably a good thing for the wife's DD here in Breckenridge, CO. It'll be my first non MT I've ever bought in the history of me buying tires...but this will be mostly street for now. I'm going to install the SLEE AHC override switch to test out the tire fitment at different heights. If I need to lift a little with the AHC, I will. I've got a Slee diff drop sitting around waiting to get mounted.

Bad News is, now that I have decided on a tire...Black Friday is almost here...so I will wait. ARGH!

I had the Falken Wildpeaks a few years ago. I read all the reviews, and thought the same as you. They were an outstanding performer, but far from durable. I went through five in a year, and would have switched before then but for Discount's warranty. Just an FYI.

Jim

Nice setup!

WARNING thread hijack (although it looks like this one may have run it's course) ...

have you (or other readers) ever been pulled over or questioned by law enforcement for mounting compressed cylinders on the OUTSIDE of your rig? I'd like to mount two 80-cuft scuba tanks on the ladder swingout mount and have been holding off

we now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast
Start a new thread. The topic of this thread gets little traction because it's been asked a zillion times, and your question is about as different as can be...

The new Falken Wildpeak AT3w is a completely new and redesigned tire than its predecessor; the Wildpeak MT is new as well as I just picked up a set last week.

It should fit just fine. Which wheels exactly were you able to score??

Here is a pic of them from the Craig List ad...described as 17" and they thought they came from a tundra, but these are 200 series wheels, at least they match what SanDiegoCruiser has, which is my benchmark.

Note to SanDiegoCruiser - I am not a stalker...but that pic of your ride is awesome and yes...it is kind of a pin-up for me of sorts...it is almost as if the rig is tugging up at its skirt a little and looking back with a devlish grin...that tease :)

Haas - if you are not-lifted, please provide a report on how those tires fit (in the wells and in the spare) if you don't mind...will probably try and pull the trigger on tires in December - thanks

Haas - if you are not-lifted, please provide a report on how those tires fit (in the wells and in the spare) if you don't mind...will probably try and pull the trigger on tires in December - thanks

will do! I'm pretty curious myself. I'd like to stay stock height, but am willing to lift as needed.

@WarWagon, I'm betting on the Falken redesign too...How do you like the MT's so far?

Food for thought and experimentation: I am somewhat surprised that nobody has mentioned this throughout this thread (I read the whole thing). Just because two tires are numerically the same size, that does not mean they measure/fit the same. Even across the same brand tire sizes can vary. Take the 285/75/16 that has been mentioned many time here in this thread. Diameter can vary from 32.6 to 33.2. Width can vary from 11.2 to 11.5. Both of these variables between tires can greatly effect the potential for a tire to rub. Goodyear makes several tires in this size and they vary in measurement. Also many people have stated that a certain size of tire does not rub, but did not mention if they air down? This will also greatly effect if a tire rubs or not, because when the tire flattens out over a rock, while stuffing into the fender it will be a bit wider and potentially rub easier. And while we are at it, tire weight for this size can be as little as 52 lbs or as much as 69 lbs!

no pics yet, but I just mounted a set of 285/75r17 (34"x11.3") Falken Wildpeak AT3W's to TRD RW 17" wheels...installed 1" wheel spacers in the front AND.....
THEY FIT! on the road at "N" ride height. Maybe .5" between tire and the rear of the front wheel well while turning. The weather has been cold and snowy so I haven't gotten around to testing clearance under articulation. I'm assuming it would be a nightmare at "N".

I did install the Slee AHC override switch and adjusted the AHC to lift the front about 1" to level out the stance. I also installed the Slee diff drop as I am running the AHC on high for in town use (90%) and dropping it to "N" for highway use. It's only been a few days with this configuration and now I'm out of town for a few weeks, but first impressions are great. I love the set up and it looks great.

The Falken AT's are awesome in the snow. They are the first snow rated tire that I have ever run, but I'm definitely a fan. Excellent traction on ice, thick slush and plowing through 2' of fresh snow. They are also super quiet on the highway. I am accustomed to the hum of MT's, but these AT's are definitely quieter than the worn, street michelins we had on the LX prior to the new configuration. The tires also have a great looking sidewall. Big fan so far!

Last but not least...the spare. The 285/75r17 will NOT fit in the spare location. At least with the factory tow hitch installed. It needs about .5" more clearance. I think it would fit without the trailer hitch, but I haven't tried removing it yet. I need to figure this out asap as the lx470 is the wife & family's DD. We took it to the airport in Denver the other day and that's too far of a trip sans spare, in my opinion. Even with roadside assistance coverage;) I don't have the $$ for a bumper w/ tire carrier and the wife doesn't want to mess with a swingout on her DD as she's constantly putting neighbor kids in the back 3rd row....hmmm. Gotta figure that one out soon...might have to mean we ditch the trailer hitch. My 12v Cummins Chevy 3500 and LX450 will have to remain the tow rigs:)

Last edited:
@haas

You can try airing it down and carrying a source for air. My new fully inflated 295/75/16 Toyo ATII fits my old LC100 and my new LX470, both with tow hitches.

And to add to this thread, My LX470 is at stock height with 295/75/16 Toyo ATII on oem LC 16s and there is no rubbing. It will rub when turning in low setting but no one drives in low...

@ton504, you don't drive in low? HAHA! ill have to try the air down trick. your 295's are 1/2" smaller in diameter than my tires, so my guesstimate on needing another 1/2" of space is probably about right...i'd hate for the wife to have to worry about another step in the process if she had to change a flat on the side of the highway, but that would be a good argument for needing onboard air. hmmm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom