What *is* an expedition build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sure, it's a build for an expedition, so this is sort of a weird question- but what is an expedition build?

What's the defining characteristic?
What kind of things would make an FJ80 an expedition rig?

Again, yeah, weird question but I'm not sure I really know what an expedition build actually is despite looking at a lot of build threads.

I guess it kinda looks like this.

20161124_130037_1480100015123.jpg

What a fantastic question! Your question brings back the novelty of "what is an expedition"? Being in possession of well sorted and prepped vehicles currently I look back on "what is an expedition"? I'm probably going to get a lot of hate mail over my answer but Oh well! An expedition build is a full tank of fuel and a destination that can be satisfied. Most of us build vehicles to conquer terrain we will never encounter and the build is in fact part of the expedition. Next time you're around a bunch of exceptional builds take a look at their winch, has the cable ever even been unraveled? Take a look at the tires, are they dressed in armor all? Don't get me wrong, there are many people that use their vehicles to the fullest of their build but I wouldn't think the majority do. I have friends that see more of the world in well thought out stock vehicles than most owners of fully built rigs. The way I see it; just leave the house and be mindful of where you are attempting to go. I own a full build track car and the truth is I spent more time on the track as a neophyte than I ever have maintaining this awesome track car. In closing, the best expedition "vehicle" I ever owned was a well thought out backpack and the desire to hang my thumb out. While it's a blast to build these vehicle I say the cost, time and energy amputates our ability to just GO! Fill the tank, pack the backpack and the expedition will identify your needs.

Let the hate mail begin! Bon Apetit'

Reliability, to me is the one thing you need for the type of travel you're taking. You'll have to define for yourself the term "expedition" and what type of journey you'll be on. Rock climbing or just camping in that hard to get to spot. If you're planning to live in it for weeks or months, then that's a whole different vehicle.

For me, retired travel around North American back roads is as rough as I'm getting. A new book out, The essential guide to overland travel in the United States and Canada, by TeriAnn Wakeman is pretty good at discussing all the different subjects you'll need to know.

I've read about a young couple traveling back roads in the US with a Ford Focus and the guys who went around the world in a London cab, it did have a winch on it! That's what is so cool about this hobby, a guy isn't constrained to one certain type of vehicle and "look", build what you like and remember the main thing is to just get out there. My first expedition vehicle was a 1964 Rambler with fold down seats, Two people could sleep in there very well. We went on a lot of camping trips with it, but I guess it wouldn't make the offroad magazines.

Good question - I googled the term and this was at the top► Welcome to EarthRoamer — the global leader in expedition vehicle

No expedition vehicle for me Ill just stick with my 80 series camper

IMG_3241.JPG

Well, I don't think the discussion here should be about what you need, but what an expedition is.
I think a lot of people would use the term expedition where others would just call it a short holiday.
The same goes for the term Overland travel. For us Europeans that automatically means going outside to country, and outside Europe as well. This also means being a bit more on yourself as language quickly becomes an issue as well as other things.
But for you US guys that is different, you can do a lot of wonderful journeys in the country.

Anyway, I have seen people who bought a completely prepared Landcruiser or Landrover (usually Defender) and then just take short holidays with it to a campsite in France like everybody else. Not utilizing the potential of the vehicle at all.
I have also seen a couple, that did a nice proper Overland trip with a 60 series Landcruiser. They didn't know how the 4x4 worked and they didn't use. They should have just bought a normal van.

Most of this stuff boils down to what people think of something. If they like the idea, or the looks. That something could be a car or a product or a trip. And if you have money, you can buy into that idea. If you are going to do actually something interesting with it is a different story.

Expedition is just todays buzz word

I average about 50 overnites a year and see good people traveling in everything from a Mustang to Prevost all doing the same thing and happy. On the flip side I meet guys with tons of crap hanging off there vehicle and never go anywhere:rolleyes:

I think you know it when you are somewhere alone where any medical complication or engine failure means death.

Exactly! I never locked the hubs for what I would consider an expedition. Hindsight would have me buy a van or small economical car. I do love landcruisers and building capable vehicles no matter the need or not. I'm here to answer a question not justify a build. My wife is always asking me why I don't just take the new King Ranch with A/C seats and comfort galore, I never said it made sense. I'm building an FJ45 LB now with the best of everything and you couldn't get me to take a 2000 mile trip if you begged me, the cabin is far too cramped.

As mentioned above "Expedition" is a very broad term. @scrapdaddy hit it on the head with Reliability and I'll add Maintainability. All of our LCs are getting long in the tooth and many folks are swapping drive trains and axles, brakes, MCs boosters etc. I believe that if you are building a rig to get out there and go places away from your home base these selections must be made with parts availability in mind. All the parts being well documented and a list with the vehicle is also important.

Once past the basic operation of the vehicle, add ons are what drives the Expedition industry. Bumpers,sliders,skids,swing outs,roof racks,snorkels,winches,aux lighting and those are just stuff for the truck itself. How much of any of it any individual needs/wants is where the fun comes in. Many of us have seen the extremes, the guy with a bone stock 80 with just a 2" lift and some good tires that can and has gone everywhere to his brother with the diesel/NV4500 swapped 80 with everything listed above, fridge, slide outs, solar array, 5 types of COMs, that has never been off a gravel road. For a great many, building the truck is a big part of the fun.

I can tell you that my wife and I prefer to keep things as loose as possible. Our life precludes extended trips (small farm,live stock) so we gear up for 3-4 day trips in the mountains. I guess that my whole point is there really is no right or wrong Expedition Vehicle. I think that the one thing we can all agree on is that it get you there and back without the use of AAA.

Oh yeah, get AAA :)

It's camping.
People decide they need a bunch of specialized equipment and "build" a rig.
A more logical approach would be to simply go.
This leads to statements like "I sure wish we had brought some folding chairs." Which leads to the purchase of chairs, for example.
Most times you think of a bunch of stuff that would make traveling more comfortable and or safer. Perhaps you go with friends and notice equipment they have that makes the travels easier. Perhaps you start taking a notepad on your trips and listing things you want/need and make those acquisitions before the next adventure. As you become better equipped you feel safer and travel further and stay longer.
This process continues until you go out on a trip and don't have anything to write down.

Then you have built an collection of equipment that exactly suits your needs and the style of travel you partake in.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I think the term expedition is relative to the person and planned trip they have chosen. I think you have to determine where you want to go then build the rig that best fits your plans or trip style. Expeditions for that matter can include any mode of transportation. I would say the main components to your build will be specific to your needs. I would only add that it needs to get you there enjoyably and back safely. Specifics are up to you.

Edit: In my definition of expedition you have to leave the pavement.

Here is mine.

20161105_150115.jpg

Last edited:
Expedition is used for everything right now, marketing and hype seem to top the list. I think a real "expedition" needs to have some type of meaning or significance of some kind; scientific, mapping or historical(the first blank crossing...). Think Powell on the Colorado, or more resent Tom Shepard navigating the Sahara for the first lateral crossing. In all reality very few of us(my self included) never go on an expedition, we may take on long extended self sufficient overland trips or even that first weekend trip that, to us feel like an expedition, which is part of the fun of it all, and that is ok. It doesn't need to be an "Expedition" all the time.

The romanticism in a fully "expedition" kitted Cruiser is probably why most of us are even on mud, sure the term "Expedition" is over played and has certainly lost some value these days but if that idea gets folks out in their Cruisers then I am fine with that.

<snip>

The romanticism in a fully "expedition" kitted Cruiser is probably why most of us are even on mud, sure the term "Expedition" is over played and has certainly lost some value these days but if that idea gets folks out in their Cruisers then I am fine with that.
I think you have it right there, people going for the look. I'm okay with that. It might be a good idea to learn how to use that Hi-Lift if they want to bolt it to that $$$$ roof rack though. Unbelievable how many SUV's I see with a fancy roof rack and Hi-Lift that have no jacking points on their truck.:hillbilly:
If you look you see lots of stuff like that on many of the "Expedition" rigs out there.

very nice question ....
of course this trigger the question what is an expedition ?
which is the real question .
so what vehicle i need for my expedition ?
What NOT is an expedition :
is to go camping and in service areas , or camp near a 1-2 days walking distance ( 50 km ) to service facilities .
this is a normal camping or 1-2 days hike .

to make an expedition for me is to explore a remote area where there is no food , or water or any facility in a wide radius , lets say over 200-300 km ?
the exploration will need some time , as a consequence I will need a base camp or a moving base camp.
this is the reason to have an expedition vehicle.
of course the settings of the truck may vary quite a lot , in accordance to the range , weather , n.of people , interests ,ecc .
in general my first priority is safety and reliability of the vehicle , range , water , and last but not least camping confort .
vehicle must be as less flashy as possible , no extra big wheels , huge bull bar , canisters hanging on here and there .
big lights , roof rack loaded with all but necessary .
the truck must be able to do the route , nothing extra must be on it , just the essentials .
( this could open the door to a HUGE discussion on "essential" )
in other words travel light and as local do .

my very personal opinion
Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom