What if I need the FJ80 towed? (fulltime 4WD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It hasn't happened yet, but it could.
What if I need to get an FJ80 towed? I get that it needs to be put on a flatbed- makes sense, it's a fulltime 4WD.

Is it hard to get a tow service to send out a flatbed?
Can a standard tow truck use some mechanism to keep all 4 wheels off the road?

Anybody got stories about having an FJ80 towed?

Take the driveshafts out, then flat tow to somehwere you can get it on a good flatbed

AAA will send a flatbed - don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

is that normal practice?

come to think of it; last time I was towed (in a vw), they sent a flatbed too. maybe there are more flatbeds out there ?

I've always wondered what a city or municipal tow service would do, do you think they they'd be conscientious enough to send a flat bed? I doubt it; what would happen if it gets towed by a normal truck?

They can dolly the rear wheels you can drop a drive line it's not rocket science to tow an AWD vehicle :flipoff2:

They can dolly the rear wheels you can drop a drive line it's not rocket science to tow an AWD vehicle :flipoff2:

yeah, I guess they know what they're doing; and there's some liability on their part to not fxxx up the vehicle if they're moving it.

Can’t you just put the transfer case in neutral?

Only for short distances and low speeds... I still wouldn’t recommend it.

The center diff can still be damaged even if in t-case neutral. If 1 axle is stopped and the other is turning, the differential could over rev, overheat, and could be damaged...

T-case neutral doesn’t disengage the center diff., just the input from the trans...

Last edited:
I’ve needed an AAA ride twice in the last 14 months and both times they sent a flat bed truck. Not sure if that was because they knew what they were picking up or it’s just policy ? I also have a part time kit, so I didn’t really care, but that’s what showed up.

I’ve needed an AAA ride twice in the last 14 months and both times they sent a flat bed truck. Not sure if that was because they knew what they were picking up or it’s just policy ? I also have a part time kit, so I didn’t really care, but that’s what showed up.

Tell me more about this part time kit?

In order to prevent drive-train damage all four wheels need to be stationary. The correct methods are either a flatbed or a sling with a dolly under the axle on the ground.

If the vehicle must be flat-towed or sling-towed without a dolly the driveshafts should be removed. In the case of a sling-tow only the driveshaft connected to the axle on the ground needs to come out.

Last edited:

AAA doesnt have to send a flatbed but they will if requested. Its a luck of the draw based on truck operator equipment local to your area of need whether you may get a flatbed or not. If your vehicle requires a flatbed like our 80s (awd) let them know and they will send at no extra charge. If requested and not needed they have the right to up charge you but ive yet to have anyone question the awd system in the 45 :D

I’ve used the roadside/tow service provided by my insurance company twice on my 80. Once for HG then for spun bearing. (Costs like two bucks a month.) They have always sent a flatbed - without asking.

On the other hand I have owned my 80 for 25 years and it has no idea what a tow truck looks like.:)

I'll probably need one tomorrow.:slap:

Had my 80 towed 3 times years ago (brakes kept locking up twice while driving, and once when my master cylinder went out) and every time i told AAA to bring a flatbed. they showed up for one with a regular tow truck and I told him to call for a flatbed.... they showed up in 15min with a flat bed.

Point being, if you pay for AAA and want a flatbed... you get a flat bed.

On the trail I would just remove DS

they asked me when I made the call whether it's an AWD - but maybe that's because I have the Premier Package :flamingo:

When calling AAA etc. for a tow, ALWAYS tell them it's AWD. Make sure everyone who drives your rig knows this too.

AWD is common enough these days that they'll know what to do. As Dan said: either a flatbed, or a wrecker with a dolly to go under (and immobilize) the rear wheels. I've had need for both. :doh:

My 80 got towed a couple weeks ago when I unintentionally parked in front of a driveway (it was after a snow and it was hard to tell it was a driveway). They used a dolly for the rear wheels. It got towed about 3 mile across town. I am not sure if there is a limit on how far or how fast the dolly can tow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom