What if I need the FJ80 towed? (fulltime 4WD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1994 FSM info on the correct way to tow your truck, and if I'm not mistaken this same info is included in the owners manual.

IMG_0213.JPG

Only for short distances and low speeds... I still wouldn’t recommend it.

The center diff can still be damaged even if in t-case neutral. If 1 axle is stopped and the other is turning, the differential could over rev, overheat, and could be damaged...

T-case neutral doesn’t disengage the center diff., just the input from the trans...

In order to prevent drive-train damage all four wheels need to be stationary. The correct methods are either a flatbed or a sling with a dolly under the axle on the ground.

If the vehicle must be flat-towed or sling-towed without a dolly the driveshafts should be removed. In the case of a sling-tow only the driveshaft connected to the axle on the ground needs to come out.

Many have and do flat tow 80 and 100 (including Slee) by putting the t case in net only. The tcase in an 80 and 100 are basically the same and use a pump system that oils an idler shaft keeping them well lubricated any time they are moved. With that said I would not dolly either one due to the CD or VC if equipped.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just where I live and the abundance of all wheel drive vehicles here, but I can't recall a time within the last 10 years that I have called for a tow and something other than a flatbed showed up. I always ask for one if I am having an AWD vehicle towed, but I have called for tows several other times for 2WD vehicles too, and those were always served by flatbeds.

Maybe the tow companies are just mainly buying the flatbeds now so that they can limit fleet size but still meet all the needs of their passenger car customers?

As a side note, I still get AAA Plus RV, which has saved me and friends and family members hundreds of dollars worth of tow charges over the years. It's a great service and offers a lot of peace of mind if you drive older cars.

Many have and do flat tow 80 and 100 (including Slee) by putting the t case in net only. The tcase in an 80 and 100 are basically the same and use a pump system that oils an idler shaft keeping them well lubricated any time they are moved. With that said I would not dolly either one due to the CD or VC if equipped.

Thanks for clarifying @LandCruiserPhil...
They can be flat towed in tcase neutral.

The emphasis being, when towing: all 4 wheels stationary or all 4 wheels turning...

1994 FSM info on the correct way to tow your truck, and if I'm not mistaken this same info is included in the owners manual.

View attachment 1601823

#3 when towing on a sling the front wheels must be allowed to turn

#4 when flat towing: no more than 30mph OR 50 mile distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom