What if anything actually changed re caster between pre-8/92 and 8/92-up 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When the big design change happened from 7/92 to 8/92, and the factory caster setting was apparently changed from about +1.9 to +3.0 degrees, what exactly was changed specific to the caster setting? Were the radius arms themselves changed? Was the design of the front axle housing changed so that the mounts for the arms are slightly different? Or were the mounts welded to the chassis changed?

I'm 100 percent determined to get rid of the Superflex radius arms and go back to standard style aftermarket ones suited for the lift. I use 4" lift arms with 3" springs due to the lower factory caster setting that is supposed to be how the pre-8/92's are configured.

As part of this, I want to replace the front axle assembly and build up a replacement. I had a nutcase thought for a while of trying to get a brand new bare housing and go from there, but I'm not sure what the actual design differences are between early and later 'phases' of the 80 build.

Craig.

Not 100% about this, but mostly sure all the parts are the same. I would think somebody like @beno can confirm or deny that much more accurately.

While researching for our arms, dug this up in the FSM:

8A537A92-AB0F-48FD-8B5D-7685D89D00D8.jpeg

What I found to be very interesting is that if you run anything larger than stock tires on a 91/92, even Toyota recommends 2-4*. That’s why we recommend the 3-4* range for ALL vehicles when folks order our radius arms.

My only GUESS at this point is Toyota decided it handled better with those numbers all around and just went with them moving forward.

My personal rig is a 3FE and wanders with 1.7* of caster, I will be swapping a set of 4” arms in and re-checking caster as soon as we have an extra set laying around.

It could be a few small things like brake line or ABS brackets that make them different.

They also went lower ride height by 3/4" then with 16s, and wider flares for wider track.

Bump stops were shorter too for more up travel, with lower ride height.

Front sway bar got fatter too.

They also went lower ride height by 3/4" then with 16s, and wider flares for wider track.

Bump stops were shorter too for more up travel, with lower ride height.

Front sway bar got fatter too.

Good info. I didn’t realize the actual track got wider, I always thought the later ones just looked goofier because of the wider flares.

I don’t think the actual track got wider. Only different is the birf got longer requiring a different drive flange. Inner axles are the same I believe. Smarter people would need to confirm.

You can look up the part numbers yourself and find out... This isn't some super secret mystery.

You can look up the part numbers yourself and find out... This isn't some super secret mystery.

You can certainly look up part numbers, but when they differ, it’s unusual (at least I haven’t found a good source) to get the differences, and often part numbers can cross-reference. Do you have a good resource for finding the differences? If so, please share! Have plenty of stuff I’d like to look into.

I haven't seen a front axle assembly for a pre-8/92 next to one for a post-7/92 to actually do measurements on the mounts for the radius arms to see if there is any (even slight) difference in the angular positioning of them.

I don’t think the actual track got wider. Only different is the birf got longer requiring a different drive flange. Inner axles are the same I believe. Smarter people would need to confirm.

Well the rims were wider offset, actual hub to hub was same.

I havent checked for a very long time, but I think Toyota did what we used to do back in the day and changed the position of the swivel ball for more caster when welding up the housings.

We used to cut them out, rotate them, and weld them up back in the days before caster correction.

Also used to press the forged arms too :smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom