What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Posting as a PSA... I pulled my trailer connector harness off yesterday (PITA getting the plugs to release), in preparation of breaking out a few connections for backup and taillight connections. Was shocked at how poorly it was sealed. The back side of the 7-pin round plug was packed full of nasty soaking wet slimy muddy goo. I'm sure eventually that would break through somewhere and corrode the wires and ruin it all. Mine will be packed full of silicone sealant and dielectric grease when I get it back together and re-installed.

Washed the undercarriage and @GoISU sprayed fluid film for me this weekend. I'm not prepared for the perma-white on the roads around here. My old english sheepdog pup is going nuts around the truck now when I take him out for a walk... I don't think he knows why, but he suddenly wants to try and herd the truck

It smells like Piss. Works like a champ though. Double egded sword

Industrial Velcro could pull away due to the extreme pull of these particular strong loops and hooks. So...I am making sure they don’t turn into a peeling disaster. Lot of work, but screws are cheap.

I’ve not seen this done before and so I’m basically figuring it out as I go. The concave sections are tricky. Bottom line is I want it to stay permanently the first go round. Velcro is expensive and I want to do this ONCE.

I think this will work:
(This is the rear-most driver-side pillar cover)

4820AC0F-461C-4C26-A40F-DE808033A5AA.jpeg
72252D35-6908-4BA5-A1F0-7408D23F3122.jpeg

I’ve got plans for these plugs. Hoping to in-bury my primary lithium battery chargers from the side fit kit. They fit in there fine, but if fear is packed in back, access is blocked. Gonna bring these to the side shelves or close to them.
3E85B0D7-0C70-4BBF-A41E-47624D3407A3.jpeg
E0E1AE0A-8189-4BA4-AE24-68042301EF17.jpeg

That is cool. How did you make/space the screw holes?

With a ruler and a silver sharpie. Silver sharpies are great for writing on black plastic (like labeling the zillion black power supply transformers we all end up with plug-in devices). Turns out it writes on Velcro loop, too. So I made dots along the edge of each 6” strip an inch apart...and then staggered them on the other side of the seam.

The screws are self-tapping, and go pretty easily into the plastic material of the panels.
Still taking forever, but I think it’s gonna work well.

I sleep inside the cargo area of my 200 so all these little tweaks are going to make that a better time.

Here is the silver Sharpie...and the marks I’ve made with it on these yet-to-be-screwed portions...

upload_2018-11-13_18-52-24.jpeg

This is awesome. Also Velcro's lawyers would like to remind us it's called hook and loop ;)

Replaced the motor in a failed drivers door lock actuator based on this helpful thread: Failed Door Lock Actuator R&R - I kept putting it off because it seemed somewhat daunting. Spent a month unlocking it with the actual key or the hold-down-unlock-button-to-roll-down-windows (inefficient, yes). But surprisingly easy to take the door apart. Almost as easy to put it back together.

IMG_0113.jpeg

Last edited:
I am impressed with your attention to detail.

Some of the above dots are not uniformly spaced...but they eon’t Be visible once my drawers go back in. It was not important to keep especially thin Velcro strips from peeling.

This is awesome. Also Velcro's lawyers would like to remind us it's called hook and loop ;)

View attachment 1831562

Perhaps...But their marketing department loves that I’m calling it Velcro… Because it means people Who like this idea will start hunting for Velcro brand first! ;)

It’s actually labeled “Duraloop.”
No idea if Velcro makes it...

Snow is predicted for tonight, so yesterday I took off my all season tires and put my K02s back on. Oh my aching knee. Getting old sucks.

Snow is predicted for tonight, so yesterday I took off my all season tires and put my K02s back on. Oh my aching knee. Getting old sucks.

Lol... I just took my KO2s OFF last night for exactly the same reason!

Lol... I just took my KO2s OFF last night for exactly the same reason!

You’ve got a set of snows. I don’t. I figure the K02s are better than the all seasons that the dealer put on before I bought it.

I have a set of ARB drawers coming in this weekend (thanks Cruiser Outfitters!) so I went on and removed the rear seats and belts today.

My lil helper made quick work of the hardware...
ku5dtUU.jpg

One down, one to go...
n7QVNrm.jpg

The part I was dreading wasn't all that bad, ie, pulling the panels to access the belts...
yLO6jQP.jpg

Ready for drawers...
5NeAMhv.jpg

800 screws and counting...

It’s been difficult because of a shoulder injury and severe double vision in both eyes. But making steady progress.......

Went crazy with felt tape, trying to get rid of all the creaks, pops, and squeaks in the interior. This included the console lid (noise comes from the latches mostly), the shifter area (mainly the cup holder insert), the HVAC/NAV system, dash trim, and the overhead DVD screen for the rear entertainment system. Took all these things apart, mostly, and lined all the contact points with the felt tape. The biggest benefit came from the console lid which is now as silent as a tomb, and the rear drop-down screen.

If your rear screen is making creaking noises over uneven terrain, here's how to fix it:
On my 2010, the rear screen is removed by using a small screwdriver to pop out the light covers. This reveals two bolts which are then removed. Then pull down on the side of the plastic cover that is nearest the rear of the vehicle. Two pop-in panel clips hold it in place. The cover panel is now removed. The DVD screen assembly is held in place to the roof by 4 bolts, two clips, and a large metal tab. To remove, unplug the wiring connectors and remove the 4 bolts. Then squeeze the little tabs on the clips, releasing the assembly.

My screen assembly creaked and groaned with even the slightest bit of twisting torque. It sounded like it was made of cellophane. The noise comes from the plastic panels. Imagine the screen is folded down. There is a large panel in front of the screen and a small, thin panel behind the screen. The small panel is easily removed with 6 screws. Place felt tape beneath the panel and reassemble. The larger panel in front of the screen is harder to remove, but if you just remove the 4 screws and pry up slightly on the edge, you can put felt tape under the edge without pulling it all apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom