What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

22D95B21-5B1C-4514-980C-FFF012EB0AA4.jpeg

Pulled off the highway for gas and spotted a hand wash Carwash. 6 guys jumped on it, 13 bucks and 7 minutes later it looked like this .. wish they were local

Can I put a "My Truck Indentifies As a Prius" sticker on now? @cruiserpatch

View attachment 3602152

...had to cut the old one off with a grinding disc...wouldn't give up the ghost after 5 or 6 days of PB Blaster and wiggling/tugging with vice grips.
Get this one and put it on. I always have a few I put on the e-cars of friend :-D

I have those on several poeces of gear. One of the greatest slaps of all time

Working to fix a lot of little issues on my new-to-me, very-well-loved Cruiser. For example, I bought my second replacement master power window switch to fix my broken one--still not the right one, though. Also, I adjusted the throttle, because it was idling too low.

Went to the bodyshop and spent a few hours putting trim, mirrors, new weatherstripping and belt moldings on. Glass guy did new Toyota windshield too. Planning to bring it back Monday. They're painting the dissent front bumper and rear bumper today along with some odds and ends. Can't wait to see it in the sunlight. Beyond excited to get the interior back in and hit the road.

20240411_132129.jpg

20240411_123751.jpg

20240411_123757.jpg

Bought four replacement bulbs for the burned out backlight bulbs on the climate control. Super annoying how expensive they are! I refuse to go the LED route because they never look right. I also scoured the junkyard looking for older Toyotas that might share bulbs and no luck.

1712889331595.png

In the past few weeks I’ve been chasing down high NOx, which has caused me to fail emission control three times now. As documented in another thread, I’ve replaced spark plugs that appeared to be original from 1998, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, replaced the cats (so fouled that sounded like they were full of gravel), and fed the rig a steady diet of high octane gas and various “fuel system cleaner” concentrates. Now beyond my diagnostic skills and patience, she’s off to the Toy Doctor in Littleton, CO.

Today I replaced the fuel filter (super easy; the most time was spent moving the plastic clips from the old filter assembly to the new one). Hopefully the shop can figure out and sort the source of my high NOx so I can finally get permanent plates.

A few weeks ago I added the hitch mounted spare tire carrier from Rig’d Supply. I’m very happy with the quality. It’s perfect for my application and would recommend for anyone who wants to mount the tire on the rear but doesn’t want or need a beefier off road bumper.

I also shipped the HVAC circuit board off to a dude in Utah to have all new button switches soldered in. Virtually none of my A/C, recirculate, or other panel functions worked. A couple hundred bucks later, they’re perfect. Just gotta sort the emissions so I can really enjoy it.

IMG_7237.jpeg

IMG_7238.jpeg

A few MUDders PM’d me about the HVAC button repair guy I found, so I’m editing the post to add it here. No affiliation with the seller other than as a customer, but I’m happy with the result. Quick turnaround and everything works.

His eBay user name is jakar2511. I think he keeps a listing under the description “98-02 Lexus LX470 Land Cruiser Climate Button Replacement.”

Last edited:
Are these valve cover bolts made from recycled chewing gum?

3of9.jpg

Was going slow - loosening then tightening - was blasting them with PB. But still - snapped off 3 on the bottom row. Inc ofc the bugger near the firewall. The first two of the nine had like 0.01 NM torque on them just to belie the job ahead...

snapdisaster.jpg

Judging by the four brown-almost red rock hard spark plug gaskets, no one in 23 years maintained this car properly.

We tried a vicegrip on one - very very slowly - it the further snapped off. Then drilled a perfect hole thru it - only for the torque tapping tool to ALSO break off inside there. Monday im getting someone in to try weld nuts on, and with that extra heat, hopefully extract them. Any tips appreciated for my the disaster i'm in.

Last edited:
Are these valve cover bolts made from recycled chewing gum?

View attachment 3606172

Was going slow - loosening then tightening - was blasting them with PB. But still - snapped off 3 on the bottom row. Inc ofc the bugger near the firewall. The first two of the nine had like 0.01 NM torque on them just to belie the job ahead...

View attachment 3606174

Was going slow - loosening then tightening - was blasting them with PB. But still - snapped off 3 on the bottom row. Inc ofc the bugger near the firewall. The first two of the nine had like 0.01 NM torque on them just to belie the job ahead.

Judging by the four brown-almost red rock hard spark plug gaskets, no one in 23 years maintained this car properly.

We tried a vicegrip on one - very very slowly - it the further snapped off. Then drilled a perfect hole thru it - only for the torque tapping tool to ALSO break off inside there. Monday im getting someone in to try weld nuts on, and with that extra heat, hopefully extract them. Any tips appreciated for my the disaster i'm in.
Glad that someone who cares is finally the custodian of your Land Cruiser.

If the welded nut… and or heat don’t work…

I have had 100% success with-

Always use tapping fluid. I prefer RapidTap. Drill out the center of the offending broken bolt. Step up to the next decimal size drill bit… until you are encroaching on the threads in the substrate material. Then use a bolt thread sized proper tap to slowly remove the remaining broken bolt material. Start with a standard/ starting tap… as you get towards the bottom, switch to a bottoming tap. Sample the depth of a known good hole for reference and mark your bottoming tap for the max hole depth… I use a paint pen or colored electrical tape.

Clean it out with brake cleaner, and you’re good to go.

It’s a time consuming process, but it works every time. And best reserved for low torque applications.

If it is a high torque application, use a time sert/ helicoil.

Can I put a "My Truck Indentifies As a Prius" sticker on now? @cruiserpatch

View attachment 3602152

...had to cut the old one off with a grinding disc...wouldn't give up the ghost after 5 or 6 days of PB Blaster and wiggling/tugging with vice grips.
What year Prius is that off of? I thought the Prius ones didn't work well, but now that I know it's off to the junkyard for me!

What year Prius is that off of? I thought the Prius ones didn't work well, but now that I know it's off to the junkyard for me!
It's not really a Prius, it's some JDM or Non-NA Toyota van or something...I can't remember specifically what Patch said...
@cruiserpatch

Last Land cruiser I had was about 15 years ago. It was an 88 FJ62. It had about 280 thousand miles on it, a blown head gasket, and it was mostly rusted away.

but this (last) week I bought another one. 1999 LX470. 160 thousand miles on it, bought it in CA so (almost) no rust. paid 10k for it.

I am pretty happy with it. I will be driving it for a couple months, then once I fully trust it, do some maintenance, and fix a few things I will give it to my wife as a family hauler.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 10.13.04_ccd9efb6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom