What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before the long fishing trip in October, I decided to change some parts:
. Timing belt and all required parts
. Valve cover gaskets and o-rings spark holes.
. Heater radiator
. Engine radiator
. Power steering assy
. The oil will be changed in all units
Today everything will be ready and I am waiting for a terrible bill for all this work.

3d020e36-53bd-4d3c-a1d4-52f0b73520ea.jpg

095b5b5e-464e-4c38-9b88-f39e0cd42929.jpg

826f73d9-a01f-4e62-8c04-fa0a9c8c64b7.jpg

e6bd37a3-01af-41d5-9770-264fc7217cfc.jpg

f0da97e6-dc2d-419f-bdc9-0643a89bc110.jpg

New BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s in 275/70R18 to go on my 2021 TOYOTA Tundra Trail Edition wheels.

D6DE3067-1BF0-4D8F-80E4-159A35DABDEB.jpeg

64D4ECEA-D2B1-44F6-AB18-C3CA775FFD0F.jpeg

D38FBC65-BB28-4E6B-9340-5DBCF979F297.jpeg

BORA 1” spacers inbound for that flush fit! Let’s get rid of this unsightly stance!

A63F9635-469E-40CE-9BAF-53490FF6369B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes! Laser cut on an Amada Ensis 3015AJ fiber laser and bent using an Amada HD2204NT press brake using USA steel

View attachment 2771713

View attachment 2771726

Yes I have been seeing that and it’s an awesome solution! I’m trying to do something a little different by designing this as a “modular storage solution”. So not only will there be this shelf up top, but there will also be a vertical barrier that will drop down and hug the back of the second row, as well as side panels to cover the quarter panel windows. Almost an a la carte system. On top of that I’m making wall-mount brackets for home/garage applications
So kind of a direct copy of this? Delta Vehicle Systems - FJ/FZJ80/LX450 Modular Storage System - https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/fj-fzj80-lx450-ceiling-storage-rack

Just curious is all.

@Delta VS Sure.... and yours is a direct copy of the Kaon Cargo Barrier shelf that has been out for some time?... I'm just saying....

KS0029.jpg

Not quite. The one posted earlier in this thread is split in the same way, same bulk head piece, same NAME. As far as the one you linked, I think ours has been out longer, but am not sure.

Not quite. The one posted earlier in this thread is split in the same way, same bulk head piece, same NAME. As far as the one you linked, I think ours has been out longer, but am not sure.

@Delta VS There are only so many ways a shelf like that could be designed to hold stuff in the vehicle while keeping it the weight down and providing some rearward visibility. Saying that it is a direct copy is a bit of an insult to the time and energy @TheForger put into and showed as his design progressed. Your product isn't even offered for the 100 series...

Last edited:
I figured something like this would come up, so here’s a few points I have to make. I’m not trying to get into a d*ck measuring contest because y’all seem like a great company with some awesome products, I just want to clear a few things up in case anyone else has questions or doubts:

1. Short answer - no, it is not a copy.
  2. In all honesty I never saw your version before I began designing my new rack. It wasn’t until @bonestock mentioned your rack that I started looking into it. Since then I haven’t made any changes that mirror what you guys have done. All of the major design characteristics for mine where already in place. The fact that similarities can be brought to light just proves how few ways this wheel can be reinvented. All I’ve done is simply make design changes based on the experiences I’ve had with the first version I made 8yrs ago.
  3. From what I remember I was one of the first to make a custom interior storage rack for the 100 series back in 2014, as seen in my quoted posts below. I’m not saying I was THE first, but most certainly one of the first few to post on here about it as I don’t remember many people posting them prior to that (except for @jcardona1 who was my inspiration). Then again I’ve never heard of the Kaon rack either
  4. The molle pattern has been around for decades. Thats nothing special. Keep in mind I will be offering a much higher level of customization when it comes to the cut pattern (as well as other key features) for those who would prefer something different.
  5. The “bulkhead” piece is just a barrier contoured to the headliner to prevent gear from sliding forward. Nothing special. What is special is that it also acts as a reinforcement rib to strengthen the two grid panels by wrapping underneath creating a ledge for them to sit on. One of the main changes I wanted to make was to put the majority of my gear above the rack, not hanging below it like in my original design.
  6. The split design was not only chosen because it makes shipping easier and more cost effective, but it also makes the manufacturing process more efficient by decreasing takt time and total production times by more than 50%. Since you are also in this industry I’m sure you’re familiar with press brakes - more specifically the process of ‘box and pan’ breaking. It requires splitting the top dies to allow the previously bent edges to slide between them and not contact the dies bending them further. Having 2 equal-sided squares means I only split the dies one time to 24” and break them 4 times. Done. Do that twice and I already have the two panels done. A rectangle would require I split the dies to 24”, bend the side edges, then reset the dies and split them to 48” to bend the front & back edges. The maximum bend length of the brake that I use is over 14’. That means there are a LOT of heavy dies to move around which presents a greater risk for injury.
  7. I do product design and manufacturing for a living. Granted it’s not usually for 100 series or even vehicles in general, I do this stuff on the side and out of my own pocket. I have over 10yrs of Solidworks experience and access to some pretty neat equipment. If I can make it I will build it. Whether I sell it to others or keep it to my self is the question I end up asking myself.
I installed my interior cargo rack today:) After seeing @jcardona1 and his rack I immediately knew I had to do it! Now I am nowhere near the first to do this and I'm sure there will be many more to come but after seeing his, I really liked the look, functionality, and cost (about $55 all together). If you would like to read about how he did it in his 80 you should check out his very detailed write up. Even though I have a 100, the parts and hardware were almost identical (I'll get back to this later). I used a 2' x 4' black grid panel you can pick up here - Black 2X4 Grid Panel - Bg-24 - Firefly Solutions - http://www.fireflystoresolutions.com/p-7856-black-grid-panel-2x4.aspx and 2 custom welded brackets. Due to the contour of the headliner the brackets are not the same shape. The DS is a simple L bracket while PS is a straight-edged S bracket. I had to cut the rear corners of the rack to avoid scratching the headliner and covered the jagged edges with heat shrink tubing. Let me know if you have any good ideas for items to mount up here! Haven't really gotten that far and before everyone starts the hate I will be installing a protective barrier between the seats and rear cargo area in the next week so nothing will fly forward in case of an accident. FYI the grid isn't attached to the brackets yet its just resting up there, I'm waiting to get some u-bolt clamps.

View attachment 917708
View attachment 917709 View attachment 917710 View attachment 917705 View attachment 917707
Finally got everything I wanted installed on the interior cargo rack. May pick up a few bungee cords tomorrow because honestly when are bungee cords not appropriate?? I've already put the axe and shovel to use and I'm sure they will all come in handy during the winter when I have to deal with fallen trees.

View attachment 929626

Re: patents. Weird world, I have several and am always surprised at what the lawyers request for them to get granted. They are more of a legal blocking mechanism rather than declaration of technological feat.

Now that I essentially work deep within DoD, we just go the trade secret route since patents are an invitation to copy outside of the business world.

From my experience working in the Off-road industry, everyone pretty much makes the same stuff just slightly different. There are very few companies that actually have a proprietary patented item, it’s usually something technologically that is their proprietary product. Tons of people make coilovers, but the technology inside of them pertaining to valving, travel, and dampening are what makes the product specific to that company. I know of another company that are working on these now, my cruiser is being used to test fit them. I understand where one can be upset about someone making a similar product, but unless they nabbed the entire design by using a product to design from, that’s the industry for you. Competition makes an industry, what you make, how you make it, and how well it works, is what makes you part of that competition.

Our Club's 18th Annual Fall Crawl advisory that GRMS was going to be primary this year pushed me off the procrastination ledge to go GRMS.

I went with the Midland MXT275 VP4, their 15 watt Micromobile package.

tempImageml5Qth.jpg

Used the Rhino Rack folding antenna mount on my Pioneer Platform...

tempImagef8wiZb.jpg

Decided to install the radio in the rear of the rig and ran the microphone extension cord, included in the VP4 package, forward so I can go both ways with the unit. Mobile and I can plug in at the tailgate for Base Station ops if required... The Air Down Gear Up platform wing has worked out very nicely for the installation.

tempImageLjTGEa.jpg

Flipped back in place, you hardly notice the install.

tempImageKryW0W.jpg

Wiring is temporary here until I can get a friend's SWR meter on the radio to make sure my antenna placement is good to go. A special thanks to our Club Radio SME @emorth for his guidance.

Cheers mates,
G

Our Club's 18th Annual Fall Crawl advisory that GRMS was going to be primary this year pushed me off the procrastination ledge to go GRMS.

I went with the Midland MXT275 VP4, their 15 watt Micromobile package.

View attachment 2787914

Used the Rhino Rack folding antenna mount on my Pioneer Platform...

View attachment 2787917

Decided to install the radio in the rear of the rig and ran the microphone extension cord, included in the VP4 package, forward so I can go both ways with the unit. Mobile and I can plug in at the tailgate for Base Station ops if required... The Air Down Gear Up platform wing has worked out very nicely for the installation.

View attachment 2787921

Flipped back in place, you hardly notice the install.

View attachment 2787922

Wiring is temporary here until I can get a friend's SWR meter on the radio to make sure my antenna placement is good to go. A special thanks to our Club Radio SME @emorth for his guidance.

Cheers mates,
G

From the driver seat...

tempImagekmUy11.jpg

From the front with the 3dB Ghost Antenna extended...

tempImageU5Fs44.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom