What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered one, how long did it take to get it? How was the install? Fit and finish? Need mo info!!

Looks great!
I thought you already have a rear bumper?

Did an oil change on it and extended the breathers yesterday...

img_20210509_185843_83f2a26a6bd9c8e37ec582fce28debb54d761ad2.jpg

img_20210509_185906_8c4c71f33de0d5eb1a76804ed6333a1bc43d86b4.jpg

Awaiting an axle seal and crush washers to come in tomorrow to do the differentials.

got stuck in a dinky stream for an hour and gained some panel damage. Yes it looks like you can drive right out, the ice on the edges breaks and makes a nice little wall taller than 2/3 of my tire.

View attachment 2659929
Maybe stay out of the creek and you won't get stuck? Is that a road? :hmm:

Finally had a chance to install my group buy rear bumper from Jason @TRAIL TAILOR. I went through 1 cutting disc and 1 reciprocal saw blade cutting the factory cross member. I sprayed rust reformer than some matte black to the frame and to the lower fascia to match it in. I use a Dayton 3 ton jack with the cross member to lift the bumper up and align everything and 2 jack stands on the sides to balance it out as I was without a helper this weekend. I am quite sore today, lol.

The fit and finish is amazing on the bumper. I ordered powder coating, dual latches, no side wings, the 3 fuel can tray with bike hitch. The bumper bolts on with 4 main bolts in the frame and 2 wing supports. The frame wing supports use 3 bolts each.

For spindle arms, I believe it goes seal, bearing, "arm", bearing, washer, lock nut, cap. I loaded up with Magnalube GX (Moly/PTFE grease). The carrier arms are beefy and use a pair of Timken bearings with seal on each. I used a 36 mm socket to tighten the lock nut on the spindle and luckily had a jumbo 2.5 in combination wrench from Harbor Freight to tighten the aluminum cap on the spindle arms (Super Jumbo SAE Combination Wrench Set, 4 Pc. - https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-super-jumbo-combo-wrench-set-1965.html) I last use this for the replacement of my bump stops a while back.

Not a single creak or shudder driving over the speed bumps. I had bought extra lug nuts in the event that Jason had not included any with the bumper (but he did!). Everything was well labeled and protected so no scratches on the powder coating. I have the hi lift mount, but didn't have time to stick my hi lift on it yet.

Next weekend I will tackle the wiring of the lights and relocation of the back up camera. I have a trailer junction box that I am going to run the factory trailer harness into and split out into new trailer adapter (7 blade, 4 and 5 pin built in adapter) and the bumper lights. I will also need to install the auxiliary back up camera, still deciding where it is.

IMG-6019_NoLP.jpg

Side profile of the bumper. I was one of the few that didn't add the side wings. My spare is Sequoia TRD Pro rim wrapped with Yokohoma Geolander A-TX (LT 275/70/18) which is a 33". Jason also included the strap for the Yeti 30 or 3 Spectre MFCs.
IMG-6023.jpg

Found a pristine LX470 next to me at the super market.
IMG-6021_noLP.jpg

After years of putting it off I finally got my steering wheel recovered, Dallas Custom Steering Wheel did a great job.

Next is to get a Grom installed and move that dang CDL button that my knee loves so much.

IMG_8801.jpg

IMG_8873D.JPG

Last edited:
After years of putting it off I finally got my steering wheel recovered, Dallas Custom Steering Wheel did a great job.

Next is to get a Grom installed and move that dang CDL button that my knee loves so much.

Any details on which options you went with (added over the existing leather, extra padding, colors, etc)?

I just ordered one, how long did it take to get it? How was the install? Fit and finish? Need mo info!!

Looks great!
@1428Mike Took almost 3 months to get here. I ordered Jan 25th, received mid April. Installation of the bumper was no problem took about 3 hours. I removed the plastic part of the bumper the top support for that and the tow hitch, this made it easier to line up the Dobinson Bumper.
The lights on the other hand took me about half of a day. I think I am going to redo them cause it looks like a 3 yo tried to splice into a bunch of wires. I am hoping someone has some insight as to how to address the wiring with these lights. I am by no means a mechanic or electrician.
Fitment was easy and everything lined up like it came from the factory. The instructions were kind of useless. But it was pretty straight forward when you lay it all out. It is definitely a 2 person job as the bumper itself weighs about 120+#s. Make sure that you have some general purpose grease on hand as the bearings for the swing outs are not greased. I also had a tap on hand to remove some of the powder coating on some of the welded on nuts.
20210505_164600.jpg
20210506_154908.jpg
20210506_174314.jpg
20210507_142908.jpg
20210508_081349.jpg

For the record, I wish I had gotten my front bumper prior to this fun day. Now that it’s cleaned up, but not perfect, I like the character it adds. I believe with the right mindset, you’ll eventually feel the same View attachment 2669374
Agreed, that bumper would have saved the damage.

I try not getting to bothered by the dings. Mine has a few tattoos from being squeezed between objects where it didn't actually fit.
I bought mine when it was 1 year old so I've owned it about 20 years. It was pampered until a couple years ago when my wife got herself a new car allowing me to promote this one to off road toy. I keep telling myself the dents are free because we got our money worth out of it's first 18 years of life.

Any details on which options you went with (added over the existing leather, extra padding, colors, etc)?
Went with the solid and perforated combo and added padding and am pretty happy with the feel now.
turnaround time was pretty quick, minus shipping issues on my side (sat at fedex for 3 days for some reason)

Simple wiper motor change has turned into a total system overhaul, fragile plastic everywhere back there, broke some stuff taking it off.

Will be cutting and welding some small heim joints in, make my own linkage and scrap the nylon bushes all together

IMG_20210511_162330.jpg

@1428Mike Took almost 3 months to get here. I ordered Jan 25th, received mid April. Installation of the bumper was no problem took about 3 hours. I removed the plastic part of the bumper the top support for that and the tow hitch, this made it easier to line up the Dobinson Bumper.
The lights on the other hand took me about half of a day. I think I am going to redo them cause it looks like a 3 yo tried to splice into a bunch of wires. I am hoping someone has some insight as to how to address the wiring with these lights. I am by no means a mechanic or electrician.
Fitment was easy and everything lined up like it came from the factory. The instructions were kind of useless. But it was pretty straight forward when you lay it all out. It is definitely a 2 person job as the bumper itself weighs about 120+#s. Make sure that you have some general purpose grease on hand as the bearings for the swing outs are not greased. I also had a tap on hand to remove some of the powder coating on some of the welded on nuts. View attachment 2671016View attachment 2671017View attachment 2671018View attachment 2671019View attachment 2671020
Awesome write up, thanks. I have been in email contact with them and they are giving me a projected delivery time of 2 to 3 weeks. Thanks again.

Did an oil change on it and extended the breathers yesterday...

img_20210509_185843_83f2a26a6bd9c8e37ec582fce28debb54d761ad2.jpg

img_20210509_185906_8c4c71f33de0d5eb1a76804ed6333a1bc43d86b4.jpg

Awaiting an axle seal and crush washers to come in tomorrow to do the differentials.
I see you! Looks good man.

I swapped out the hood struts yesterday. Now it stays open on its own. 2" lift goes on this Friday along with rear brakes and a brake flush. Then every single fluid will be brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom