What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you noticed any leaking/dripping from yours? I had my indy put mine in the last time they had my truck and it's leaked since. I'm thinking of maybe some teflon tape around the threads? Not much I can do about the down-spout itself dripping... It's the only thing besides AC condensation that leaks on my truck and it's annoying.
No, mine has been on for years and it's dry as a bone. I installed it using the supplied gasket, only.

Added an Ironman 2" lift and now I've added new rubber to the ever-growing list of things I do/do not need... Before and after pics for reference.

IMG_1477.jpg

8A2B8DBE-7461-4244-9332-68123219C349.jpeg

@npicciandra. Did you ended up going with the gas shocks or the foam? How do you like the setup?

This week I installed a $57 E-bay snorkel, which was actually more challenging than I had thought it would be. I took zero photos of the process. I also finally received my coil packs this morning.

I realize there's no definitive right or wrong answer, but I'm just wondering what people think about a minor coil pack dilemma I'm having.

Back story: 2000 LX470 now with ~184000 miles, purchased a few years ago despite dodgy service records, some cringe inducing body damage, and a vanillaroma air polluter adding to the overall gestalt of trashy prior owners. It actually had a vehicle bra when I bought it (this I tore off in contempt within the hour of purchase in a grocery store parking lot. This was the cheapest and best upgrade I've done, as I couldn't drive it home like that without smoldering in shame). I know better than to buy a vehicle with virtually every red flag box ticked, but it was cheap, not intended as a daily driver, and I figured what the heck (forgive me, but I'm like this--I pick the apples with bruises at the store and if I were to go to the humane society I'd likely return home with a tremulous dog dying of consumption). I don't gush over large passenger vehicles, preferring cheap, small cars, but I have a soft spot for the 100-series after getting Falciparum malaria in Africa in 2001. I was being taken for medical attention in one by an extremely pleasant U.S. Peace Corps driver at breakneck speed when we hit a goat, at which point I realized I was riding in the nicest vehicle I'd been in, ever. I remember thinking, "Wow, this thing is smooth. I barely felt that goat at all." We didn't stop, FYI.

The Vanillaroma Project began running rough almost immediately, but limped home with the check engine light flashing. My scanner offered up three cylinder misfire codes (I don't recall which three). I replaced all the spark plugs, horrified to find that they didn't even match, and the three coil packs on those cylinders. Soon after I did the 90,000 mile interval service (which by the look of the cracks in the timing belt may have been the first time it was done), and managed to grenade the front differential when I got hung up on stump hidden in the snow less than a minute after saying to my long-suffering wife, "these things can go practically anywhere. Watch this." While that was out, I tore out the AHC system, put in the harshest suspension available, regeared to 4.88 and added air lockers (I recommend all these upgrades, by the way. Even with hard springs while totally empty the ride is fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise needs to toughen up). I've done virtually all of the big and small projects, and estimate I've wrenched on it maybe an hour for every mile I've spent behind the wheel. It has morphed from a hideous hot box on wheels, mistreated by strippers and scumbags who likely never drove it sober, to a scarred and hungry trail monster (that previously mentioned tacky body damage now looks like something a boulder elicited because I was too cheap to put on rock sliders, not like damage done by an opiate addict in the Wal-Mart parking lot). This is mildly amusing to people who know me. I never really drive off road, preferring to go over mountains on foot.

I digress. Anyway, the other day it began running rough again, my scanner verifying my suspicion. This time it was cylinder #7. The old coil pack was aged and cracked. I popped in a cheap-o coil pack I bought some time ago on Amazon as a spare (this is the only thing those are good for, in my opinion), and then ordered 5 Densos, figuring it's long past due to simply replace the 4 old ones and the cheap knock off as those are not trustworthy (I live in rural nowhere, so getting parts takes time--this is actually my backup vehicle). My question is this: wait for the old coil packs to die, or replace them and keep the not-terrible ones as spares?

I already know the answer, but sometimes you just want to tell the story.

@npicciandra. Did you ended up going with the gas shocks or the foam? How do you like the setup?
I love the setup. Was going to go with the foamcells but my local cruiser shop dissuaded me as I spend the majority of the time on pavement and the foam would be overkill. Takes a while to warm up, extra body roll, etc. Plus, it saved me a good chunk of change.

This week I installed a $57 E-bay snorkel, which was actually more challenging than I had thought it would be. I took zero photos of the process. I also finally received my coil packs this morning.

I realize there's no definitive right or wrong answer, but I'm just wondering what people think about a minor coil pack dilemma I'm having.

Back story: 2000 LX470 now with ~184000 miles, purchased a few years ago despite dodgy service records, some cringe inducing body damage, and a vanillaroma air polluter adding to the overall gestalt of trashy prior owners. It actually had a vehicle bra when I bought it (this I tore off in contempt within the hour of purchase in a grocery store parking lot. This was the cheapest and best upgrade I've done, as I couldn't drive it home like that without smoldering in shame). I know better than to buy a vehicle with virtually every red flag box ticked, but it was cheap, not intended as a daily driver, and I figured what the heck (forgive me, but I'm like this--I pick the apples with bruises at the store and if I were to go to the humane society I'd likely return home with a tremulous dog dying of consumption). I don't gush over large passenger vehicles, preferring cheap, small cars, but I have a soft spot for the 100-series after getting Falciparum malaria in Africa in 2001. I was being taken for medical attention in one by an extremely pleasant U.S. Peace Corps driver at breakneck speed when we hit a goat, at which point I realized I was riding in the nicest vehicle I'd been in, ever. I remember thinking, "Wow, this thing is smooth. I barely felt that goat at all." We didn't stop, FYI.

The Vanillaroma Project began running rough almost immediately, but limped home with the check engine light flashing. My scanner offered up three cylinder misfire codes (I don't recall which three). I replaced all the spark plugs, horrified to find that they didn't even match, and the three coil packs on those cylinders. Soon after I did the 90,000 mile interval service (which by the look of the cracks in the timing belt may have been the first time it was done), and managed to grenade the front differential when I got hung up on stump hidden in the snow less than a minute after saying to my long-suffering wife, "these things can go practically anywhere. Watch this." While that was out, I tore out the AHC system, put in the harshest suspension available, regeared to 4.88 and added air lockers (I recommend all these upgrades, by the way. Even with hard springs while totally empty the ride is fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise needs to toughen up). I've done virtually all of the big and small projects, and estimate I've wrenched on it maybe an hour for every mile I've spent behind the wheel. It has morphed from a hideous hot box on wheels, mistreated by strippers and scumbags who likely never drove it sober, to a scarred and hungry trail monster (that previously mentioned tacky body damage now looks like something a boulder elicited because I was too cheap to put on rock sliders, not like damage done by an opiate addict in the Wal-Mart parking lot). This is mildly amusing to people who know me. I never really drive off road, preferring to go over mountains on foot.

I digress. Anyway, the other day it began running rough again, my scanner verifying my suspicion. This time it was cylinder #7. The old coil pack was aged and cracked. I popped in a cheap-o coil pack I bought some time ago on Amazon as a spare (this is the only thing those are good for, in my opinion), and then ordered 5 Densos, figuring it's long past due to simply replace the 4 old ones and the cheap knock off as those are not trustworthy (I live in rural nowhere, so getting parts takes time--this is actually my backup vehicle). My question is this: wait for the old coil packs to die, or replace them and keep the not-terrible ones as spares?

This story has all of my favorites. Nicknames, strippers, opiate addicts at Walmart, "hey honey watch this"...man! Thanks for sharing.

I'm of the opinion to just replace everything all at once to finally have a handle on what you're working with and keeping some of the oldies as spares. But that's certainly not a cheap option.

dying. replace all at one once. baseline your problem.

Finally finished up CB install by adding a bracket for the microphone. You can see the female plug that the handset plugs into, sticking out of the transmission tunnel. Puts the handset where i can see it, without being in the way.
IMG_4598.JPG
IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4596.JPG

Just got it back from the best body shop in the area. De-snorkeled with new fenders, dents removed and scratches buffed out.
IMG_20190910_162851.jpg
IMG_20190910_162947.jpg

The owner of the shop warned me wheeling it would just "scratch it up again." Told him I'd take it under advisement, but it's difficult not to like the wheeling pictures better. 💃
CE308B10-A2E7-44F3-AB90-567F8284F091.jpeg
1490D987-B43F-4A6C-9F3E-9D643B383545.jpeg

Just got it back from the best body shop in the area. De-snorkeled with new fenders, dents removed and scratches buffed out. View attachment 2080110View attachment 2080111

The owner of the shop warned me wheeling it would just "scratch it up again." Told him I'd take it under advisement, but it's difficult not to like the wheeling pictures better. 💃View attachment 2080108View attachment 2080109

Finally got rid of that snorkel. The bane of my existence has been washed away!

TIming belt, idler, tensioner, water pump, cam and crank seals, fan bracket, rebuilt alternator, serp belt and tensioner, upper and lower rad hoses, heater tees and hoses, oil cooler hoses (both, and the one to the block was a joy to get off), new red coolant. Whew!

I was most nervous about getting the old crank seal out, but it popped right out with this tool:

It didn't work so well on the cam seals though. Ended up punching through and prying them out. There's too much flex between the seal lip and the OD for this style of puller to work IMHO.

Per the FAQ Timing Belt threads I used a chain wrench and parts of the old belts for the harmonic blancer and cam sprockets - worked great.

Happy to have that job out of the way before the cold season.

A few recent updates on the 100...

1. New steering rack (original inconveniently died just before a trip to Monache Meadows with @Dan2722 and @bushdoctor )
2. Reman OEM brake caliper, part number: 47730-60090-84 (old caliper gave up after many water crossings at Monache Meadows)
3. Received a crate full of Eezi Awn Stealth hardshell RTT goodness from @Equipt !

Corroded and stuck
100caliperold.jpg

Remanufactured and shiny caliper installed with new OEM pads
100caliper.jpg

Not so stealth crate
stealth1.jpg

Upgraded living quarters - So nice! Might need to go camping this weekend...
stealth2.jpg

Shameless plug: My prior tent (Eezi Awn XKLUSIV 1600 is for sale. Link to FS posting here if you're interested.

Last edited:
i went with gas shocks...dont think ill be running and gunning in washboards enough to overwhelm standard gas shocks.

x5DP7DX.jpg
How do you guys not have rust?! My frame looks like it’s been used as a fish sanctuary in the Atlantic Ocean.

A few recent updates on the 100...

1. New steering rack (original inconveniently died just before a trip to Monache Meadows with @Dan2722 and @bushdoctor )
2. Reman brake caliper (old caliper gave up after many water crossings at Monache Meadows
3. Received a crate full of Eezi Awn Stealth hardshell RTT goodness from @Equipt !

Corroded and stuck
100caliperold.jpg

Remanufactured and shiny caliper installed with new OEM pads
100caliper.jpg

Not so stealth crate
stealth1.jpg

Upgraded living quarters - So nice! Might need to go camping this weekend...
stealth2.jpg

Shameless plug: My prior tent (Eezi Awn XKLUSIV 1600 is for sale. Link to FS posting here if you're interested.
Where did you buy your reman'd calipers from?

mine was a cali car before moving to florida. i was very pushy about "bottom" pics. lol
Nicely done! When I picked up my 99 in 04 it was perfect underneath. East Coast winters have been tough, working on cleaning things up and using POR 15 in the upcoming weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom