What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (59 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thought I'd play with some wrap.
IMG_2032.jpg

I have these tow points on my LC100 and I ordered the hardware directly from @TRAIL TAILOR website Trail-Tailor. The specs are even there in case you want to hunt down your own hardware. What shackles did you go with?
Wow I totally missed that! Thanks for the link. All though, I was able to source 10.9 hardware from the local mcfaddendale for less than $12 including bolts washers and lock washers the TT hardware is double if not triple what I paid. The shackles im using are smittybuilt 4.75 ton shackles I had in my recovery kit. May upgrade them. Any suggestions?

A/C clutch fell off in Costilla NM while driving to Latir lakes - nothing hard or as rough as Goose lake. 300k and never had an issue with the A/C. Bad part is I lost the special washer/shim. I was able to find a replacement in my spare washers! Purchased a complete clutch assembly from American Toyota with washer shim kit and and clips.
Then I noticed a bit of play on the clutch fan. It's tight when cold but when I started the engine to check A/C clutch noticed some play in the fan clutch bearing after the shower run time. Ordered new Asian clutch. Should be good to go!

I have done a bunch of upgrades and preventive maintenance items over the last 5 weeks. Spent nearly $3k in parts. Probably saved another $3k in labor by DIY.

1- Full timing belt service including water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, radiator flush etc. Using all OEM parts. $450 +/-
2- Re-manufactured (Detroit Axle) power steering rack, power steering lines and fluid. $450 +/-
3- 2 new OEM CV axles. ABS sensors. $1200
4- New 555 tie rod ends $100
5- Rear extended sway bar links Manafre $75
6- Front extended sway bar links Trail-Tailor $150 (including shipping)
7- Eibach Pro Truck extended shocks (4). $460

The old axles were making noises, the steering rack was feeling sloppy, ABS sensors were rusted on, Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks were real tired after 80k miles and the extended sway bar links were long over due. Feels like a completely different truck now. These new Eibach shocks are fantastic , feel reminds me of Bilstein 5160's but with a notable softer initial impact. They also have approx 1/4 inch more travel front and about 1/2 inch more travel in the rear (over the Ranchos, which were slightly longer that OEM). This should take better advantage of my longer Dobinsons springs in the back, and make for better articulation all around. Adding the extended links also got rid of the annoying head toss over small to medium bumps (like an overly stiff, larger sized sway bar would do). Steering is smooth and quiet now, completely linear feeling throughout the entire motion from lock to lock. Only additional item the LC100 needs right now is some new front sway bar bushings as I noticed they were pretty trashed when I was under there yesterday (80k miles on these). Miles are around 324k now and I must say: It feels like it could easily do 300k more.

View attachment 2401574View attachment 2401575View attachment 2401576View attachment 2401577
What type of noise were the axles making? After you took them out were you able to verify that the splines were worn? I ask since it's a big ticket item and you always want to be sure (errr. I want to be sure ;) )

What type of noise were the axles making? After you took them out were you able to verify that the splines were worn? I ask since it's a big ticket item and you always want to be sure (errr. I want to be sure ;) )
Clicking and popping from the inner race/ bearing assembly being worn. I had rebooted them about 60k miles ago after the outside boots went into shock from the TB lift. I noticed the same boots were cracked again after my last oil change and all the grease was basically gone. OEM axles had run their course. Splines actually looked like new as only a little tiny bit of wear/use visible around the tip. I do a lot of long (1000+ miles) road trips in and out of state, cannot afford to have any issues out on the highway. Making sure that my truck is close to 100% as possible gives me the confidence to travel with my family into and out of remote areas without any doubts. I would really hate myself if I took some half measure (rebuilt axles) and I ended up stranded to save like $400.

All four power windows were moving a little slower than I thought they should and my mouse trap (HVAC fan) was making a ton of racket. So this morning I removed all four door cards and cleaned the power window regulator gears and window tracks. Then I lubed the regulators with some Dupont white lithium with Teflon. Lubed the window tracks with 3M 08897 dry silicone spray. Windows work SOOOO much better now. Turning my attention to the mouse trap, I removed it from the dash and took the wheel off. I found several very small but rigid leaves between the wheel and the motor. This seems like quite a feat to get leaves in this tight space, but there they were. So I vacuumed out the enclosure, removed the leaves, cleaned the contacts on the plug, cleaned the wheel, lubed the shaft :cool:, then put everything back together. Now the HVAC system is pleasingly quiet, better than it has been since I have owned it. Took me about three cups of coffee to finish this job.
3M dry silicone.jpg
Dupont White Lithium.jpg

Apologies if this is the wrong place but..

Curious if anyone can help me figure out if a Pioneer AVH-521EX will fit my ‘99 LX 470. Super sale at Best Buy this week!
Pretty sure, size wise it will fit. When I did mine (an Android unit) there were no aftermarket wiring harness available for my 98 LX470 and I had to just wire it us the old way, wire by wire. Also, had to bypass the factory amp from under the driver's seat.

Wow I totally missed that! Thanks for the link. All though, I was able to source 10.9 hardware from the local mcfaddendale for less than $12 including bolts washers and lock washers the TT hardware is double if not triple what I paid. The shackles im using are smittybuilt 4.75 ton shackles I had in my recovery kit. May upgrade them. Any suggestions?
I do not know anything about the Smittybilt ones, but I really like the Van Beest Green Pin, hot dipped galvanized. They are very well made and they seem completely impervious to corrosion. I have also used the Crosby and Chicago (made in the USA) brands as well, they seem just as good. What made me choose these brands was that they are often used in very large scale, OSHA regulated, heavy duty applications with reliable results. In my TT recovery points I have the Van Beest 19mm (3/4" body, 7/8" pin).
Van Beest Green Pin Shackle.jpg

I finally had a chance to install the full Heatshield window cover set for my 100 series. The fit is quite good and the supplied suction cups work well. I had the 3rd row up for 2 weeks straight and no cups released. I got the first, second, third rows and rear window. The outside is the silver mylar finish and is made in USA! It think you can also get mylar gold color now. The full set will run you about 200 shipped.

First and second row.
View attachment 2396879
3rd row
View attachment 2396877
View attachment 2396884

Won't the suction cups damage window tint? I like the concept but wonder about the impact on window tint/film. My LX has the Formula1 tint applied.

Started to build a tailgate cover to replace the old carpet. Waiting on some raptor liner to show up and then she’s set!

View attachment 2402256

Sick! Did your old particle board backing have any writing or anything like that on the backside? Mine has a handwritten number, presumably written by the assembly line worker/s? I always like seeing those little human touches on machinery.

Big shout-out to @Jfoofighter16 who got me into my first real tires for my ride.

Got the same set of shoes also after doing this to the old tires last weekend. Two flats on one trip! Had to limp home 100 miles with a sidewall patch.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5388.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5387.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53bc.jpg

Wow! Did you do that patch with the tire on the rim? What plugs and glue did you use? I'm impressed that you got that to hold air for hundred miles!

Yes, tire on the rim but wheel off the vehicle initially. The patch is not on the tire with the huge gash in the middle picture, but rather a smaller gash on the first sidewall tear I had. I used a cheap plug kit from Amazon, similar to the ARB kit. Popped a few in and got it to hold air. Had to do some slow wheeling with a few air refills to get off the trail. After we got to pavement, it needed a new plug inserted every 20-30 miles and a refill but was able to do 60mph most of the way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom