What have I done? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The thing is pretty rust free, but I guess I will be learning how to do some body work.
Who here has replaced a rear sill?

a20140307_164659.jpg

Ya won't do that to mine.

Whaaa?! My 40 was "rust free" and didn't look that good! I just chased the minor rust holes with the MIG (it will start welding when you hit metal) filled them up ground it flush and called it good. That was 5 years ago and it still looks good ;)

Looks like the PO that put that coating on didn't even bother to prep the surface. Lucky you.

I installed a rear sill. Mine didn't have one to replace.

mine didn't either. Tim Manes and I welded in 2" angle. I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow when I get home.

Sorry your visit had to be so rushed. my afternoon was super busy.

mine didn't either. Tim Manes and I welded in 2" angle. I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow when I get home.

Sorry your visit had to be so rushed. my afternoon was super busy.

No prob Shawn, I kinda barged in unannounced.
I did the same thing to Steve H.

Two Hours of Hard Labor

Turns out this stuff is Smith's Ultimate Linings in Albuquerque.
According to their web site: "While you would rarely want to or need to remove it, the Ultimate Lining is intended to be permanent so it is not easily taken out".

Definitely worth the effort - I don't want any hidden surprises down the road.
And I'm rather enjoying the exposed palette of colors and patterns.

After another hour or two of this and I get to learn about media blasting.

x.jpg

y.jpg

Turns out this stuff is Smith's Ultimate Linings in Albuquerque.
According to their web site: "While you would rarely want to or need to remove it, the Ultimate Lining is intended to be permanent so it is not easily taken out".

Interesting. They installed mine ... on sandblasted metal.

Maybe you could take that stuff you pulled out and make some custom floor mats.

that's a great idea! it probably has some sound deadening and heat insulation properties. all a bonus in a 40!

here's my simple angle iron rear sill. there was so little to attach to, we just put it on the rear frame x-member body mounts and welded it on the ends to the fender wells. not sure this helps you, but if you want I can get pics of the under side.

DSCF0936.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

If you sandblast the inside the lining will never come off. I did on mine ages ago and the gun malfunctioned and had some big air bubbles. I tried to clean it off to re-spray, but the base layer on the blasted steel wasn't coming off cleanly, no matter how I tried.

I'd say it's worth re-doing right instead of painting the inside.

John,
A little patch work can go a long way. Careful cutting to remove all the cancerous steel, cut a new piece and weld it in clean. Good prep work front and back and your repair will be as solid as the rest. Cutting out the whole rear sill and replacing is doable but I wouldn't waste the time on the cancer you show in that pic. There are much bigger projects coming in your build. I didn't want to replace mine either but as the pic will show, there was a bit more rot than I could handle with small patches...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

But if you want to cut in and burn a new sill in: go for it! It's your rig, don't let me tell you how to build it. :cheers: Also NICE PROGRESS! I was just telling David that your progress is making me really feel lazy about finishing my rig.....:bang:

Happy Welding!

We'll see how long the momentum lasts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom