What drops your jaw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's a French place near here that has a duck confit appetizer that is just freaking phenomenal. It's so hard to order anything else when we go there.

--john

So the surrender monkeys took the duck off the menu sometime this summer. The server told me it might come back around Dec-Jan. I was quite unhappy about that.

--john

Just picked up a Lodge Cast Iron Wok. So far, totally love it! Takes a while to heat up, but since I don't have gas at the house (electric smooth-top range only), it's the best way to keep the heat to the food. Massive amount of flat iron on the bottom (5") to keep the heat heading up the sides. :clap:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398426039.401864.jpg

We have a burner outside for frying fish & doing stir-fry. Key is HEAT & small portions. Not sure btu but it looks & sounds like a jet engine.

...via IH8MUD app

Just how easy it is to be creative with a loaf;

2lbs of chuck, one egg, one onion, approx 1/4 cup of green chili, and about a half a ground up bag of Santitas corn chips.
Top it with Kroger's 1883 sauce and bake at 375.
101_1452.jpg

Just how easy it is to be creative with a loaf;

2lbs of chuck, one egg, one onion, approx 1/4 cup of green chili, and about a half a ground up bag of Santitas corn chips.
Top it with Kroger's 1883 sauce and bake at 375. View attachment 889459

Looks like it is gonna be TASTY! May steal this recipe Split..

J

I'd have to say, BBQ ribs. I can cook decent ribs, but the best place in town is consistent and has great sauce. And sushi, but no one makes sushi at home anyhow.

Problem with duck dishes is that domestic duck has TONS of fat and mild flavor. Wild duck has great flavor but little fat and may be dry. Some ducks eat only fish and will taste 'fishy'. Best duck to me is wild, brined , and served with a berry sauce like lingonberry. Yrmv

We cooked some wild duck recently. I heated up on charcoal to rare or a little more, and then finished off on the cast iron with butter and spices. Sliced it thin like fajita and served with horseradish. I don't love duck, but it was pretty good.

Prime rib is my Achilles heel from a cooking aspect. The only way that I've been able stomach duck, geese or dove is by cooking them medium rare. Cooked all the way through is terrible, in my opinion.

The wife makes an awesome prime rib a few times a year. She preheats the oven to 500 degrees then throws the whole seasoned standing roast in for 5 minutes per pound. Then she turns the oven off, but leaves it in for 2 hours without opening it. Comes out perfect med rare.

I'm not a big steak guy (hard to believe, I know), but I love this way of cooking it. I've smoked a few prime ribs, but lots of folks don't like a smoked prime rib from what I've found.

Prime rib is my Achilles heel from a cooking aspect. The only way that I've been able stomach duck, geese or dove is by cooking them medium rare. Cooked all the way through is terrible, in my opinion.
Medium rare is about as well done as I like any game meat. I freeze any game meat before I use it to kill any parasites, probably just being phobic but there it is.

Noah's lamb porterhouses at blue camp, Surf & Turf one year. So much lamb...

Leg of lamb cooked with a habeñero in a pressure cooker at a Boy Scout event one time. Oh my.

Lately, Il Vecchio in Monterey: polenta con ragù – creamy polenta, with rich ragù of pork, beef, sausage - died and gone to heaven.

ScotT, you have to be able to ID the ducks before you pull the trigger. Tough sometimes, fish eating birds are usually Mergansers, and have a specific profile on the wing. I love wild ducks and feel they make great table fare.

Peruvian food! Man...if you're ever in Upland CA, there's this little shop called Domi's. Domi hooks up Lomo Saltado (staple Peruvian comfort food) like no other! It's strips of high quality beef quickly seared in a wok with a quartered onion and quartered tomato. He creates a pan sauce and serves it over fries and a side of rice! I know...double starch is weird and I'm a pretty healthy eater, but this stuff is worth it! The Peruvian seasonings and herbs, I just cannot recreate.

Flatu8er,
Hunted ducks in n Dakota for quite a while. Trust me, I know a mersanger from a teal. Just a general observation about fish eating ducks. Was really thinking about coots when I posted. Primarily hunted mallards but sometimes canvas back or teal. Just depended on what was There and what the bag limits were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom