What do you think about this idea, crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
Guys,

I have been toying with the idea of getting an 80 abroad because of the options that were not available in the US(diesel, 5sp, rear ac, etc...).

Since I live in Japan I thought about locating the one I like here and shipping it to the US(the only one I found so far charges about $2500 for shipping). But I can not get over the fact that I will be stuck with a right-hand drive vehicle in the States. It's not too much fun, although do-able, since I have driven a left-hand drive car in Japan.

So I'm thinking about getting one from Europe(except the UK) and getting one shipped to the US(when/after I move back next year). Now here are the questions I have for you guys:

-Is this legal(especially if I went diesel) with DOT?

-Since diesel eigine was not available in the US, how hard would it be to have it serviced by my friendly, local dealer or by experienced shops.

-I heard that the rear AC is connected to the cooler console box(if it came with it) would I be able to get the rear AC hooked up if I got a cruiser with the cooler console box or would it be better simply to look for one already fitted with rear ac from the factory(at least in Japan, that means only gas/petrol and no diesel). Maybe I would not even need rear AC, but I love having it in my van right now.

Any opinions, positive and negative(constructive) would be appreciated. Conversions more logical than importing? I should probably just suck it up and get a good 80 in the US, right? :D

Many thanks in advance.

mot

I think C-Dan will comment that it's going to be hard to get parts for the diesel engine. There are other threads on this topic on the site, mainly in regards to dropping in the diesel engine but the issue would be the same.

But I agree, gotta like the VX models.

Riley

Import a shipping container of the engines to offset the cost of the body of an overseas cruiser....

the stick the diesel in your truck and off you go (after you register of course).

One guy in my club imported a 5 speed and a turbo diesel and swapped it into his 80.

I hate him.

Guys,

Thanks for your info.

I'll try to read up on the diesel conversion thread(s) and do some more research on the Net as well.

I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Mot

Mot,
There's a guy on the 80sCool international list that has posted every few months on his project. As I recall, he is building a diesel 80 series for a US customer. They brought in the engine from Oz.

There were numerous "opportunties for improvement" according to the guy doing the project.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6407;start=msg51877#msg51877 date=1066372408]
Mot,
There's a guy on the 80sCool international list that has posted every few months on his project. As I recall, he is building a diesel 80 series for a US customer. They brought in the engine from Oz.

There were numerous "opportunties for improvement" according to the guy doing the project.

-B-
[/quote]

Rob of Radd Cruisers up in BC. It's going in a Lexus I think.
http://www.raddcruisers.ca/1024.htm

To answer Riley's question:

Toyota has a procedure whereby a dealer can obtain parts for a non-import vehicle that is in the United States The vehicle serial number and a bunch of other info must be provided. The request is processed by Torrance as an "offline" order. Transit time is usually 3 to 6 weeks and the dealer is responsible for the international freight(although Toyota sometimes forgets to charge it out). In addition the items are absolutely NOT returnable and the order is not cancelable.

C-Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take that factor into consideration.
Yikes :'(, sounds like a pain in the arse to get parts/service for the diesel setup.

Beowulf and Landpimp,

Thanks for the link and the info.
I have checked out the site. I'll try searching the 80scool site for any information which I'm sure I have missed.

I guess more logical and sensible way to do this is to get an engine with all necessary hardware attached, including the tranny from here in Japan(5sp or auto) and do the transplant, although I'm not technical savvy enough to be able to perform the "surgery" myself. I'l have to get chummy with some of you guys, especially if those of you in/near Utah(that's where I was before and where I plan on moving back to, hopefully). I wonder if I can do the same with rear ac since I've heard that the cool box/rear ac was "hard-plumbed".

Anyway, WOW! What wealth of information you guys have! :-*

Thanks again!

mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom