What do you guys think about the FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at the following FJ80, it would be a trade for my 88 4 Runner.

0919080833.jpg

1994 Toyota FZJ 80.

Safari snorkle
5" OME Comp Lift
36x12.5x15 Bias TSLs on Steelies (5) about 1kmi on the shoes, with a spanking new spare
factory lockers
just replaced the front outer soft brake lines, and both rear calipers.
3 rows of leather seats
new JVC CD player and speakers

What it needs:
all the e-brake hardware (missing mysteriously)
leaky PS hose
leaky rear output on xfer case
sunroof has a crack clear across it. I sealed it with a kit, up to you to fool with it.
cruise doesn't work

**EDIT** started missing on cylinder #6 :shaking: I have narrowed it down to the harness or the injector. good spark, clean plug, no bubbles in the radiator, nor coolant in the oil. Apparently these harnesses burn out at some point on most 80's.

Current VA inspection. 137K Miles

With what it needs, do you think it is worth it??

The owners said this about what it needs:

The only difficult thing would be replacing the injector or the harness, as you have to remove the upper intake to get to them. Some guys on mud have claimed that you can do it by just pulling the throttle body, but I am skeptical of that.

The cost of a new harness is $325, an injecotr is about 80. I was gonna pull #1 and #6, swap them, and see if the problem moves. A lot of guys have gone through this, and it is almost always a burnt out wire in the loom. I am just sick of fooling with it. I priced the ebrake stuff too, $275 for everything, both sides.

Why do you want a trail yacht? Just curious..... mighty wide and practically full size ya know.

As a previous owner of many wagons... they just plain get beat in heavy forest trails. They are super capable of course but.... maybe Bury will chime in.

Has your purpose of the 4runner changed? looking for a family wheeler?

It looks nice... 12 MPG's I am guessing.

It would be mainly a wheeling vehicle, not worried about the body, it has stronger running gear and front and rear lockers. I would beat on it just like I do with the 4 Runner, even more so possibly.

I just liked that it is nicely built and has plenty of room. My 4 Runner has seating for 4, but can't haul much gear, not that I really need to to Rausch. Kind of just kicking tires at this point.

One big down side other than the work it needs, would be that I would have to drive it to Rausch, don't think the 05 4 Runner will pull it, especially with a trailer, at least not legally or well.

I love mine. However it's more of a cruiser than a wheeler. Although I've taken 2+hr rides in my fj62. This is like cruising in a caddy. I'd drive across country without thinking..... That all said. I generally only drive 100 miles a week max. And I'd trade her for an FJ60 w 5spd in a heart beat.

As far as wheeling goes yes, it's a bit big but it will take you and 7 others just about anywhere you want to go in air conditioned comfort. Smaller than a full size blazer but bigger than a s10..... It's a big mid size...

I love it....and that one is way cheap for what he has in it..

bob

Couple of things that you might want to look at.

#1. Loose that snorkel or it will get ripped off by a branch on a tight trail.
#2. Interesting how this truck has 15" rims. Usually 15" rims require grinding on the rear calipers to clear properly. You may want to check that. The missing e brake hardware bothers me. What's missing exactly?

80s are big and fat and extremely capable vehicles. You will tag the white parts and roof occasionally. If you're OK with that then you have your answer. For the type of wheeling I enjoy and for the distances I have to drive to get there, it is the perfect vehicle for me. Weld some sliders on and go.

great description, looks impressive in the parking lot while yer at work too.

:D they do look quite cool on big tires

I like the idea JT if ya don't care about the body at all...... coil sprung, stronger axles... good points. The reason they are stronger is due to the added weight of course... a roof rack on the 4runner would add you some gear space as would building some drawers...

One pro of mini over 80 is parts cost and availability as you know. Wheeling being a luxury, cost of maintenance is certainly a consideration.

My cousin's 80 has close to 250K on it and no sign of stopping :hmm: and he has four kiddies, you must be planning :cheers:

It looks nice... 12 MPG's I am guessing.
If you are lucky.
Couple of things that you might want to look at.

#1. Loose that snorkel or it will get ripped off by a branch on a tight trail.
#2. Interesting how this truck has 15" rims. Usually 15" rims require grinding on the rear calipers to clear properly. You may want to check that. The missing e brake hardware bothers me. What's missing exactly?

80s are big and fat and extremely capable vehicles. You will tag the white parts and roof occasionally. If you're OK with that then you have your answer. For the type of wheeling I enjoy and for the distances I have to drive to get there, it is the perfect vehicle for me. Weld some sliders on and go.

It may have left over axles? If so the 15's would fit. I guess if it has drums in the rear. The brake was probably rusted solid. Mine almost is unfunctionable.

It is a tough choice. They are a big vehicle. Very capable but big and has very different handling characteristics than a smaller truck. The weight means more sliding. The lift is also an issue. Lots of weight up top. Ask Gary. The turning radius is not ideal for tight trails. Another point is that it is expensive to maintain and modify. Gearing options are limited. Which seems to be a problem for a lot of 80 guys. It looks like it has all the goodies though. I think 36's would get you through any black trail at rausch.

I love mine. It wheels great and I have gotten used to getting it through trails. I have yet to get it stuck despite Jeff's best efforts. With good spotting your roof and glass will stay intact. You can bring everything you need for camping and lots of crap you don't. They are comfortable to sit in all day.

I think it was Jeff who said real men wheel wagons. It's not easy but thats the point. Good luck with what ever choice you make. I would love to have another 80 guy in the club to wheel with.:cheers:

Anyone who has ever wheeled with Jon H or Don W knows the 80 is a very capable vehicle.

They don't seem to have any trouble wheeling on the trails in the Northeast.

Not as fugal as a 4 Runner but you know that. I would go for it.

Always better to have a real Land Cruiser :steer:

great description, looks impressive in the parking lot while yer at work too.

That would look awsome sitting up on the Hill...:cool:

I think I am going to pass on it at this point, since I don't really want to mess with another engine with issues, even if they are somewhat simple to fix along with the e-brake.

Big thing is the $$ for upkeep and upgrades.

I nearly have my 4 Runner ready to hit what I want and I am about to trade a guy my 35's for 37's adn have all teh parts for the SAS, so I will be sticking to the mini-truck stuff.

Thanks for your guys insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom