What do I do next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody, I have a '72 FJ40 that is all stock except for a mini truck front disc brake conversion. Here are the things I want to do:

1) Convert the engine to a fuel injected 350 w/ auto trans
2) Do saginaw power steering
3) SOA
4) Rewire the rig

My question is what do I do next? I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about working on trucks and I don't have a garage to work on it. So i'm going to have to pay someone to do this stuff for me(I know it'll be a lot of money). I just want to make sure I do it in the most cost effective order I can. Thanks for the help.

Don't bother with the steering yet if you plan on doing a SOA. If you have elec problems, fix that first...nothing else matters if it won't start :flipoff2:

Then SOA and PS converion and hi-steer at the same time. Oh yeah...and some big ass tires and cut rear fenders. Gonna be spendy!

1st, wiring...2nd, PS.

You CAN do the PS prior to a SOA and not have issues, just be sure whatever PS option you choose is SOA compatible.

I'm with Woody. If your wiring is causing trouble fix that first. If it's not and the electricals work find I'd do the PS first. The only trouble there is being sure you get a pump that can easily be mounted to the SBC if you finally get to it. The best thing I ever did to my rig was disk brakes, PS, overdrive, and then engine (in that order).

I would have thought engine first since some of your electrical is going to change because of it... but I bow to the knowledge of my betters!!!! Oddly it doesn't seem like anyone else wanted you to do the engine at all!?!

jm

1st - Electrical, enough to be usable.
2nd - Power steering. You'll need it for bigger tires.
3rd - SOA w/55 springs(or spring flip), trim fenders, big tires.
4th - V8 w/auto. Needed to turn big tires.
5th - Finish wiring to run V8.
This doesn't mean you're done. You'll always be able to think of something else to change or modify.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=5187;start=msg40327#msg40327 date=1063302747]
1st, wiring...2nd, PS.

You CAN do the PS prior to a SOA and not have issues, just be sure whatever PS option you choose is SOA compatible.
[/quote]

Yes you CAN do it first. My only point was, if your going to do PS before a SOA at least plan for the SOA during the PS conversion. I have talked to a few people who had to re-do/replace their steering setup after the SOA.

Like Woody said, it's all about compatibility. You can save yourself alot of money DOWN THE ROAD, if you plan ahead.

you may also want to rethink the type of tranny you want to run with a SO setup. I think the automatic may be too long of a drivetrain with a SBC? I thought of doing this with my Vortec V8 and the rear dshaft would of been SUPER short. Guess it depends on the auto tranny you plan to run. Just something to think about though.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom