What did you work on tonight? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure, we can look at it and see what can be done.

I do still want the seats. If you want to make the trek up here that would be great.
Great.
I will figure out some time to come up to your place and see if that works for you. We both have lots going on right now.
Thanks again, for looking at this stained glass piece.

Tonight Leon finally caught the critter that did this to our A/C-heater blower. It also had a nest in the air filter intake. Not fun. That's guinea pig bedding and burlap. The bedding is form the far side of our shed. No idea where the burlap is from. This is my daily driver and kid mover, and sits in the garage overnight. Crazy.
AC-Heater blower.JPG

Dropped in a new Odyssey AGM battery in my 80. 24F. Odyssey uses pure lead , rugged build. Have one in my truck , is still going strong at 8 years old.

Rescued a pig with the 80. Someone dumped it up here near my house. It has a new home now and not with me.

20200207_105838.jpg

Last edited:
Rescued a pig with the 80. Someone dumped it up here near my house. It has a new home now and not with me.

View attachment 2204996
That’s crazy!! So now you’re an accomplished wayward pig wrangler, in addition to your many other talents!

I hate to admit but it took me over a year to rebuild this simple PS pump! :bang: Somewhere around a year ago, I picked up a spare PS pump from somebody, can't recall who and started the rebuild process. Apparently, I did everything but the bearing so I had to order the perfect Japanese bearing from who knows where. I got the bearing and set it next to the project and then forgot about it! The whole shebang was inside a plastic bag, buried under some shop rags with my combination square still set to the exact depth of the drive sprocket. Every time I needed this square, I'd find it on the bench pre-set to this depth and I dare not touch it while vowed to return to this project. Apparently, I'm an awesome procrastinator, as you can tell :flipoff2:

Yesterday, after doing some outdoor projects, attending the monthly REI garage sale, having breakfast at the Daily Grind, and a sick daughter stuck inside the house, I simply ran out of excuses. That and I REALLY need to get my shop bench space back. I was so lazy that I actually setup my camping table for working on other projects. I'm so ashamed......

So, I'm thinking of installing this bad boy into the 80 today since it'll be a nice day and I can't go skiing with Isabelle If I don't, y'all better shame the hell out of me.

1581259907037.png

Last edited:
That's a PS steering pump? Dang.

I did all of the bushings on my 4th gen and for the LCAs, removal was a PITA. There's a YouTube video of guys using a bottle jack to remove the bushings and this worked perfectly. I did have to apply heat to the area while using the bottle jack. One or two bushings required a sawzall and propane torch to remove the old bushings. For a NM vehicle, this really surprised me.

I used Moog bushings and they went in easily using the bottle jack method. A press will not work for this application as I have a 20T unit and didn't even consider using it. There's a no way to put a LCA on a press table due to the weird shape.

I also replaced the LBJ while I was in there with a Moog replacement but I don't know if I like the Moog LBJ. I don't like their boot and how little it covers and exposes the grease to contamination.

If you don't want to deal with this, just buy a loaded OEM arm from Yamama or whatever that website is called. Juan did that for his GX. You get all new OEM bushings and LBJs and the cost is much lower than our cost at American Toyota.

It goes w/o saying, order ALL new hardware and the cam washers before starting this project. You may or may not need them but I'd have them on hand, just in case. I had to cut through one of the cam bolts.

Hey Ali, I need to do all of this on my 4th gen. It's at 191k. Thanks for the writeup. I'm going to have questions for you in a few months when I go to do it!

Last night I dismantled the grill and found a lot of the plastic had broken off. Used JB Weld plastic bonder to support all of the components that hold the plastic to the metal grill housing. Grill is a lot more secure, and I plasti dipped the emblem while I was down there.

This was a nice break from the driveline I had been working on the past few weeks. It was also good prep for the wire mesh grill mod I plan to do this summer.

20200211_144931.jpg

20200211_104500.jpg

Adding on to this:

All day Sunday Danny and I worked on rewiring his electrical. His battery got thrown aound on the Puerco ride and ripped everything up. I had an extra battery strap in the garage. Had to rerun a ground to the chassis.

Stripped, terminated, and heatshrinked everything down nice and clean: radios, pod lights, subwoofer...poor dude thought he was going to have an electrical fire. I walked him through using a multimeter to check for voltage and continuity, and how to test a relay.

He pulled off the brake light housing and fixed it too. Zip tied everything else and cleaned all the weather seals. He also showed me how to run cable through the firewall and I got my🖕CB🖕hardwired in to listen to the NOAA broadcast.

Quote of the day - "I like fixing things the right way. Doing this makes me nicer to people."

Cheers🍺

20200209_134306.jpg

20200209_142923.jpg

20200209_142908.jpg

20200209_213422.jpg

20200209_221524.jpg

Finally getting to this point
E95AFA70-0093-4119-9F05-C2206ABA4863.jpeg

@alia176 that jack is TALL!!

38419F62-1721-4609-9EC0-4C27F1C4F247.jpeg

AC0CD475-E717-47D1-B6A0-657D546E43DB.jpeg

I did all of the bushings on my 4th gen and for the LCAs, removal was a PITA. There's a YouTube video of guys using a bottle jack to remove the bushings and this worked perfectly. I did have to apply heat to the area while using the bottle jack. One or two bushings required a sawzall and propane torch to remove the old bushings. For a NM vehicle, this really surprised me.

I used Moog bushings and they went in easily using the bottle jack method. A press will not work for this application as I have a 20T unit and didn't even consider using it. There's a no way to put a LCA on a press table due to the weird shape.

I also replaced the LBJ while I was in there with a Moog replacement but I don't know if I like the Moog LBJ. I don't like their boot and how little it covers and exposes the grease to contamination.

If you don't want to deal with this, just buy a loaded OEM arm from Yamama or whatever that website is called. Juan did that for his GX. You get all new OEM bushings and LBJs and the cost is much lower than our cost at American Toyota.

It goes w/o saying, order ALL new hardware and the cam washers before starting this project. You may or may not need them but I'd have them on hand, just in case. I had to cut through one of the cam bolts.

Thanks for the info, you got the website link by chance?

What are we looking at?
Like 5 months of frustrating mixmatched canadian and US parts
Alum Small Block Chevy bellhousing with no cracks, Ranger OD chevy to toyota, '83 H42 with no spacer, weird canadian diesel PTO split case.
Everything I have is slightly oddball

I finally got my firewall and bottom side of the tub cleaned and painted. The first 3 layers of paint have Hytech ceramic microspheres added and the top layer is aluminum metallic to reflect the IR radiation. Should hopefully take the edge off in the summer, it's pretty bad when the roll cage is too hot to rest your leg against at a couple of hours driving. Now back to the original task of installing in the NV4500/Splitcase!

1591758275869.png

1591758371653.png

1591758443470.png

Closer... test fit. Scout’s bored with the slow progress
DD62970C-4366-40F9-A920-BA5FBB1D00D5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom