What did you do with your Tundra or Sequoia this weekend? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We had our annual snow wheeling/camping trip this past weekend. Snow was decent, trails were slick, had to winch a bit ;) Had a great time, and no cv's were harmed.

tundra snow2.jpg

tundra snow1.png

Well, sometimes my blind love for Toyota gets the best of me. This is the 30-something Toyota I have bought and it was tired. My cheap 08 Tundra has turned into anything but. 10 months after purchase engine blew. After the cost of a junkyard engine😳, I definitely wasn’t paying labor for install so I spent my Halloween throwing a 2011 engine in with 130k. 3 weeks later transmission goes. So it sat because I just didn’t have the drive to pull it apart again. Finally but the bullet and threw a trans(from same truck I got engine) in Christmas weekend. Pretty sad when my 6.2TD squarebody is the most reliable truck I own. 🤣

10k truck
3k junkyard engine
1.5k trans.
“70,000 mile reset” on drivetrain

IMG_8455.jpeg

Bought my first Tundra. 2004 4x4 with 274k miles. Truck is rust free as it came from the Southeast. Poor thing is now going to be subjected to Kansas winters.
PXL_20231130_213023671 (1).jpg

My first order of business was to get the FSM. The downloads are great, but I prefer thumbing through a paper copy. The Tundra FSM is twice the size of the 100 series FSM.
PXL_20231206_210752350.NIGHT.jpg

Previous owner told me it had a slight oil leak when I drove down to look at it. Well I had to stop every 100 miles on the 400 mile drive home to put oil in it. Turns out the oil filter bracket and oil cooler orings were dry rotted and cracked. Replaced those orings and it seemed to stop the leak. The previous owner also told me the truck probably needed a brake job done. I did the brakes and found only one bolt holding the passenger caliper to the knuckle and only 1 brake pad pin holding the pads in the caliper. Also replaced the LBJ's and LBJ bolts for good measure.
PXL_20231223_211415107.NIGHT.jpg

It's weird working on such a rust free vehicle!

Previous owner told me it had a slight oil leak when I drove down to look at it. Well I had to stop every 100 miles on the 400 mile drive home to put oil in it. Turns out the oil filter bracket and oil cooler orings were dry rotted and cracked. Replaced those orings and it seemed to stop the leak. The previous owner also told me the truck probably needed a brake job done. I did the brakes and found only one bolt holding the passenger caliper to the knuckle and only 1 brake pad pin holding the pads in the caliper. Also replaced the LBJ's and LBJ bolts for good measure.
Wow! I always wonder what prior owners are doing in these situations. "slight oil leak" = they have a puddle of oil flowing down their driveway and buy quarts by the case? Good catch on the brake caliper....

Wow! I always wonder what prior owners are doing in these situations. "slight oil leak" = they have a puddle of oil flowing down their driveway and buy quarts by the case? Good catch on the brake caliper....
I found a mostly empty 5 quart jug of oil in the tool box to initially top it off. In hindsight, that should have been a sign. The first time I stopped I could see a rainbow stream following the truck through a wet parking lot :bang: The scariest part? The PO had a car seat in the back...

Howdy. Yes, I’m aware. They need to be replaced, and so do the ball joints.
Fancy suspension upkeep.
The hardware needs to be backed off before the bushings are greased. The bushings can be over-greased, and these are due for replacement.
This unit gets driven hard but is properly maintained.
Are the resi fittings clocked in the correct
Positions? This is looking like the What did you do to your 80 thread! How much horsepower will a Borla exhaust add to my 1FZFE? LOL!
Nice on the brakes.
Did you just grease your uca bushings in that Pic? They are way to tight or they need to be bled or replaced.

Last edited:
Replaced steering shaft seal. The old one was toast and was experiencing engine ticking noise in the cabin on acceleration. New seal and now no ticking sound. Surprised on how much noise this seal keeps out of the cabin.
PXL_20240102_175055406.jpg

PXL_20240102_181328050.jpg

PXL_20240102_181421066.jpg

Also cleaned up the headlights with 3M kit.
PXL_20240102_220015616.jpg
PXL_20240103_190531902.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom