What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another 1/2 day on the leaf springs. Tore down the rear springs that I moved to the front. Pipe vice worked nice keeping the pack together while using hammer to open the clamps.
26FD1175-2525-4013-A675-F4E9AE697897.jpeg

I had to use a cutoff disc on the nut of the bolt running through the pack. Once cut off had to use a punch to drive the rusted bolt out. They were really in there.
E929366B-3EE4-4FB5-B9C5-8785FDE17EB2.jpeg

Use wire wheel on our big grinder to remove the rust and buildup.
BEFORE
CA04780E-3A7A-491F-B9FF-154984585D4B.jpeg

AFTER
2847CE81-C97F-43DC-B8AB-461039FA8ECD.jpeg

Once clean used Krylon Colormax primer/ paint combo to coat both sides of the leafs. Painted the 63 springs. They were in nice shape so only needed a fresh coat of paint.
052CFC45-BC98-402A-AA72-BA7630B940C7.jpeg

All the Ruff Stuff hardware now is all ready to go.

Holy smokes. That’s one hell of a blowout on that block, eh? What’s the thing in the pix above the bent rod. A connecting rod? I can’t imagine the sound that truck made when it blew.
Yeah, that's a rod! One of the parts that kinda fell out as we were jimmying it around pulling it our. I heard from the PO that it happened on the highway. Must have been a hell of a ride!

Thanks for that! The paint does look good from 10’ away and the white color is very forgiving. But in reality it’s really showing it’s age. Lots of small scratches that are starting to rust, lots of dings. Plus, it will be an opportunity to replace all the weatherstrip and tighten her back up a bit.
Wheels look really nice.You could always wrap it. Not a permanent solution, but very cost effective. I've had mine on for 3+ years and am very happy with it.:cheers:

pismo2.JPG

Nothing really this weekend since we were busy with family stuff, looking at a possible new vehicle and just work in general. Had a bunch of wet heavy snow on Saturday (then rotated off and on between snow and rain) so went out Sunday morning to take the dogs to the park to find the drivers door frozen shut. Pups weren't happy about no park but was all of 10* and dad wasn't havin' it.

Other than that just been running down my current tank of gas with the new JimC rebuilt carb to get a full tank for initial baseline. This morning was the first time she hasn't fired right up but have a feeling that was A) due to not being driven yesterday (though I did start her up when the door unfroze and let her run for a bit), and B.) the fact that it was low double digits if not single digits when I went out to start her at 7am.

Greg

Ever try wiping the door gaskets with Armor All or similar product to reduce the tendency of doors to freeze shut?

My experience it does help significantly but does have to be refreshed periodically. Armor All contains silicone and nothing sticks to it including paint so be careful if you plan to do any painting - silicone is hard to remove.

Greg

Ever try wiping the door gaskets with Armor All or similar product to reduce the tendency of doors to freeze shut?

My experience it does help significantly but does have to be refreshed periodically. Armor All contains silicone and nothing sticks to it including paint so be careful if you plan to do any painting - silicone is hard to remove.
Negative but good to know. All of my seals are pretty destroyed and currently on the list to be replaced next.

Changed my belts since I had no insight into their age.
Had a couple of nasty surprises, one left for me by an idiot mechanic, the other self inflicted.

Self inflicted - the tensioning bolt for the A/C compressor idler pulley is CLOCKWISE TO LOOSEN. I had loosened the bolt on the pulley but ended up snapping the adjuster bolt which was an absolute a$$ whoopin to address which I may write up some day but I’m still too mad.

Idiot mechanic - some Einstein threw away the adjuster bolt assembly for the alternator and cranked the set bolt on with some ungodly amount of torque. Regular ratchet stripped it, bolt extractor ratchet didn’t work. Had to pull the alternator and remove the bolt with a set of vice grips the size of Brazil.

Anyway....ordered in a Dorman 917-951 idler pulley adjustment bolt kit with carriage for $13 on Amazon and got an M8x1.25 bolt to serve as my new set bolt. The bad news is that I now have to carry 13mm and 17mm wrenches since the new bolts didn’t have normal Toyota size bolt heads.

8DC1F7B8-BBFE-4B85-BAA3-A18C1013BD33.jpeg

936EA774-AD79-4E83-ABD0-5F7D83F488FB.jpeg

967F7FDE-0803-4AA2-A7A5-D4611B3E1152.jpeg

44F8D0AD-72F5-49F7-9B0E-A01A36DB8C08.jpeg

3FCE7FCC-C99F-41D9-B775-F5A779AD5A51.jpeg

Tried to find the thread where I read about this but no luck.
Spent a grand total of $8 and change for HF regulator, asked around and got the pressure cooker for free. Fittings on hand as well. Works great!
P1140771-1024x576.JPG
P1140767-1024x576.JPG
P1140778-600x1067.JPG

Have a great weekend wrenching and cruising everybody!

So you fill with oil, pressurize with air and it fills t-case? I suppose you'd want warm oil or synthetic
for that trick. nifty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom