What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yesterday, we started putting on my SSO rear bumper.

Last edited:
Put on my metaltech bumper, replaced the radiator and flushed tranny fluid with 213k on it.
IMG_20160523_183650.jpg
20160520_162735.jpg

Changed tail lights to later spec, on went the exhaust tip...
image.jpg

I changed both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies. Found the driver's side CV boot cracked and rather than mess around replacing it and repacking it, I bought a new axle from Napa for $90 with a lifetime warranty. FYI, the wheel bearings were the source of my vibration/rumbling problem I had with the front. After the new bearings were installed it's been smooth as glass. Also changed the oil in anticipation of my California trip and my trip to Ouray in July for the FJ Summit.

Last edited:
that $90 axle will come back to bite you. Hopefully not on a ride with me at the summit :)

haha are the napa CV axles not good?

OEM is just shy of $400. Napa is $90. I wonder why? (Chinese garbage if you don't connect the dots). they sell those cheapies to soccer moms that don't see anything but gravel parking lots on the way to practice.

hmmmm....You may have a good point there... I figured most of it was the "toyota" markup.

Maybe I'll hold onto the stock one and just reboot it and keep it as a spare...

good plan. and cheap (boot kit is $80)...which happens to be the same price as another napa glass axle ;P

I've watched plenty axles on FJ's break on the trail. Most, if not all of them, were Napa or Autozone axles. And it took very little to break them. I have one as a trail spare, just to get me off the trail if my OEM should break. But if it does, I'll send it off to CVJ to have the OEM rebuilt, and swap the spare back out. Cheaper than buying an expensive spare you may never need, only at the cost of having to swap it twice - which is no big deal.

I want to thank everyone for making me feel bad about the 3 hours of work I did last Saturday! lol I guess my new project is to replace the boots and repack the CVs and reinstall the original axle :oops:

I got the Lexus dealership to turn off a couple of nuisances-the auto tilt steering wheel and always on running lights.

I have had a cardone1 axle in my taco me for 4 years with front locker, crawl box, and now 35's for the last 3 years with no issues. Only axle issue I had in Moab this past week was the pen axle boot popping off. I slid it back on with no problems.

Personal is rather have own axles but haven't had any issues with the cheap Chinese s***

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom