What did you do on your 70 series today? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I popped in when this beauty was delivered to her new owner.
The gentleman used to have a farm in Namibia, which he now sold and returned to Germany. He brought a nice, long BJ4 from there and still has two Cruisers (a pickup and a 75) over there for sale.
This short GRJ is for his hunting grounds. He also owns a long GRJ, which is too precious for the woods, he said.
He didn't know ih8mud yet, so I made him aware and we might see him around here, soon.
If you happen to read this: Welcome! Your Cruiser is already here to be admired 😄.
Cheers Ralf

View attachment 3462235

Hello,

This 71 Series could use a pair of free running hubs/locking hubs. Is it a Middle East spec 70 Series?

An additional four kilometers (or two miles) per gallon never hurts.

Nice front plate.

Juan

Hello,

This 71 Series could use a pair of free running hubs/locking hubs. Is it a Middle East spec 70 Series?
An additional four kilometers (or two miles) per gallon never hurts.
Nice front plate.
Juan
Right. I was also wondering why it hadn't those. I didn't ask the new owner, but I guess, it's because this rig is for the woods and hunting grounds, as he said. Likely he wants to have 4x4 available at all times, without the hassle to get out and turn manual hubs over, or to deal with the unreliability of electric- or auto-hubs. The entire rig is setup for absolute offroad, durability and simplicity, with heavy skidplates, diff-protectors and stuff.
Ralf

Swapped the Bradley's that came on my 77 with the 73's steelies. Eliminates the need for spacers on the daily driver 73. Also will allow me to put off buying new tires.

Ugh. Excuse those extended shackles! Replacing the suspension once I get garage space back.

71962676902.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

IMG_9288.JPG

Not sure how I feel about the silvery steelies on the 77. But it's on a garage timeout still anyway.

IMG_9280.JPG

In preparation for an upcoming trip I decided to move the fridge to the KZJ78. Since the truck came with the dual (parallel) battery setup I added a Blue Sea 7610 isolator in between the batteries to save myself any future headaches.

IMG_1718.jpeg

Trying to find a spot in the rear to put a 12v source was a little more difficult since I wanted to add some USB ports and a on/off rocker. Against my better judgment I decided to use the jack cover as the spot.

IMG_1720.jpeg

His EGTs in my opinion are abnormally low. It’s pretty fast to build boost from 2psi to 14psi, maybe four seconds. It is on full boost by 2500rpms max, full boost for Dan currently being 14-16psi. Does lack power a bit, seems like lack of fuel to me.

I put pedal to the floor and revved it high to see what EGTs do, seems to stay under 700* when you give it everything it has. Should be able to hit 1200* when giving it everything it has. Idle EGTs seem under 200*, very low to me, I shoot for 275-325ish at idle when tuning.

In my quick assessment, it needs more fuel.

Cheers
emailed and called you for skid plate no response

emailed and called you for skid plate no response

It is custom made for a 80-series chassis with a 70-series body.

Not a production item we are going to be making. In fact we don’t make any products for the public just custom one-offs for our builds.

Cheers

It is custom made for a 80-series chassis with a 70-series body.

Not a production item we are going to be making. In fact we don’t make any products for the public just custom one-offs for our builds.

Cheers
I see.

Thanks

Seats and door cards went to the upholsterer this week; I've just got to finish the seat bases off (repaint where needed) and then they can go back together.

Not 100% the same as the factory ones, he's made the seats so they're a bit easier to fit and don't bag up in the same way as the factory ones do.

Door card is built onto an aluminium sheet so moisture won't affect them.

IMG_20231024_091345682.jpg

IMG_20231024_091323324.jpg

IMG_20231023_133042490.jpg

Right. I was also wondering why it hadn't those. I didn't ask the new owner, but I guess, it's because this rig is for the woods and hunting grounds, as he said. Likely he wants to have 4x4 available at all times, without the hassle to get out and turn manual hubs over, or to deal with the unreliability of electric- or auto-hubs. The entire rig is setup for absolute offroad, durability and simplicity, with heavy skidplates, diff-protectors and stuff.
Ralf

Hello,

The lack of free running/locking hubs suggests it is a Middle East spec 70 Series. I am curious.

When fuel prices are not a concern, the extra mileage you get from locking hubs does not matter much.

Automatic hubs, used in the 70 Series from 1999 on and referred to as DMALH (Dual Mode Automatic Locking Hub) by Toyota, are a good option. The coupling mechanism locks the hubs when you shift to H4 or L4 without having to get out.

However, for serious wheeling, you may want to get out and set them into Lock Mode with a tire wrench, if I remember correctly.

Now this is a good upgrade.

Juan

Seats and door cards went to the upholsterer this week; I've just got to finish the seat bases off (repaint where needed) and then they can go back together.

Not 100% the same as the factory ones, he's made the seats so they're a bit easier to fit and don't bag up in the same way as the factory ones do.

Door card is built onto an aluminium sheet so moisture won't affect them.

View attachment 3465148

What thickness aluminum did you end up using? Trying to decide between aluminum and ABS plastic.

What thickness aluminum did you end up using? Trying to decide between aluminum and ABS plastic.

I used 1/8" AL and it worked pretty well.

I used 1/8" AL and it worked pretty well.

That's awesome progress. You do more in two months than I do in a year with our trucks haha.

Threw some new glow plugs into my Troopy's 1HZ while doing a compression test. Not the most exciting thing on the surface, but hear me out...

Those thrashed glow plugs you see here were still working after 23 years in often brutal tropical conditions. Compression in all six cylinders was acceptable, around 450 (about a 50 psi drop from new). Again, 23 years.

View attachment 3394289

And people wonder why we love and respect these vehicles so much. Hug an engineer today.
Late seeing this, but was curious which ones you put in? I should probably do the same and am wondering if I should spend the $$ to get OEM shipped or look at some of the replacement options.

You know you chose the right wife when she wants to use the Land Cruiser over the Lincoln Continental or CT5V Blackwing for her elementary schools trunk or treat.

IMG_8059.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

Note: If you want men to hit on you, this is the way.

“Trunk 11” placed 2nd place out of a little over 30 cars. We lost to another teacher who had a tv and video games in their trunk. Go figure.

Last edited:
That looks great. I love that color - is it an OEM? Do you have a restoration shop in Poland? Interesting looking yellow 40 also!
Yes! The green is original, will have to have it retouched in a few places but paint is almost flawless. We have one or two that specialize in Land Cruisers but not just restoration. The 40 was done in a body shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom