What did you do on your 70 series today? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I dont ‘now about the VSV. where is it located. I will check the check valve next.

Front windshield is 70% and the rest is 40%. I didn't want to run a dark tint on the land cruiser.

I run 5% (yes, illegal) on my Tacoma doors and back window now and while it looks good I regret it. I plan to have it removed and replaced with a lighter tint.
I was undecided as to what %, ended up with 35% on the front 2 sides and 25% on the back with just the standard band on the front. I may do the front in 80% to cut down on UV’s a little more,

I swear these Euro spec glass have no UV protection and almost seem to magnify the Sun!

IMG_9796.jpeg

Doing the entire windshield really made a huge difference keeping the heat out. You can't tell it is there at 70% such as in my case so I bet you won't mind 80%.

I realized that I now have every piece of glass tinted except my sunroof glass which itself does have factory tint.

Doing the entire windshield really made a huge difference keeping the heat out. You can't tell it is there at 70% such as in my case so I bet you won't mind 80%.

I realized that I now have every piece of glass tinted except my sunroof glass which itself does have factory tint.
Just curious, does Texas law enforcement have a say in how dark the front side windows and the windshield can be?

Just curious, does Texas law enforcement have a say in how dark the front side windows and the windshield can be?

I think the law is no tint allowed on front windshield except clear tint, 25% or higher on the front doors (not lower), and the rest can be as dark as you want it.

I am currently running 5% on my Tacoma and haven't been cited for it so I am not sure how strict the law is enforced.

I think the law is no tint allowed on front windshield except clear tint, 25% or higher on the front doors (not lower), and the rest can be as dark as you want it.

I am currently running 5% on my Tacoma and haven't been cited for it so I am not sure how strict the law is enforced.
Sounds like Georgia. I’ve never known of anyone who has been cited for tint that exceeded a certain value but supposedly the law exist. I’m told that if your drivers license is pressed against the inside of the drivers window and isn’t readable through the tint on the outside you’re subject to a ticket. Seems very subjective to me. 😊

You are probably right, the 80% is probably manageable, the Seating position and windshield angle keep you directly in the sun fairly often.

I was undecided as to what %, ended up with 35% on the front 2 sides and 25% on the back with just the standard band on the front. I may do the front in 80% to cut down on UV’s a little more,

I swear these Euro spec glass have no UV protection and almost seem to magnify the Sun!

View attachment 3459415
Having the windows tinted on the back of your BJ73 is great for camping or the beach because you can change clothes in the back with a bit of privacy.

Sounds like Georgia. I’ve never known of anyone who has been cited for tint that exceeded a certain value but supposedly the law exist. I’m told that if your drivers license is pressed against the inside of the drivers window and isn’t readable through the tint on the outside you’re subject to a ticket. Seems very subjective to me. 😊
I'm one of the people who has been pulled for tint but I'm in Va. Cop said I threw a cigarette out the window (never smoked one before) and said "hey, while we're here roll down this window for me." And that was the only ticket I got.

Over the last week I did a few small updates to the 75.

The first maintenance task was in regards to an oil leak. There was no oil dripping onto my driveway but I noticed that my engine head was moist, usually I like things moist. I had assumed my valve cover gasket was weeping but after shinning a light around at night I noticed it was coming from a plug of sort. Referenced a parts diagram and sure enough there was a $2 plug starting to make its way out. Took all of 15 minutes.

IMG_8019.jpeg

IMG_8020.jpeg

Next up was my distributor. Based on everything I could tell it was the original one. Nothing was wrong with it (that I could tell) but I figured it couldn’t hurt to be replaced. Followed the FSM and everything checked out. I think I need to create a ground cable for the distributor. I’m not sure if it’s absolutely needed but it’s there for a reason: wires and terminals are cheap.

IMG_8007.jpeg

Since I’ve been focused on “improving” the 3F I figured I should also give further attention to my brakes and clutch.

Initially I had purchased a “NOS” brake booster from a Mud vendor in the Middle East. Unfortunately it was dead upon arrival, it didn’t hold vacuum. I tried reaching out for a resolution but unfortunately we didn’t reach one. Oh well, never buying anything from him/they again.

I ended up ordering the city racer brake booster it works perfectly. I think I need to do a better job at flushing my brake fluid. I did rush it, but no air in the system.

At the same time I did the clutch slave and cylinder that I got from rock auto.

Clutch function and braking power are a night and day difference.

IMG_8028.jpeg

Lastly I replaced my neck filler gasket.

This is completely cosmetic but when you get sub 10 mpg and are at the gas station every other week you can’t help but feel icked about the worn out gasket. Now I can turn all my attention to the outrageous cost of gas when at the pump.

IMG_8023.jpeg

I think I need to start a build thread.

Got some side steps from a Toyota dealership, who takes those off from new GRJs when installing real rocks sliders.
Good deal, I guess: 150€ a pair. (Only the consoles are worth double that). (Of course I got a pair)
Too long for my BJ73, but that can be fixed.. The rear mount on the board has to be moved. It's riveted on, so no big deal. I also had to trim off 1inch on the front to clear the mudguards. Some notching is required to get the caps back on. The other mounts as well as the consoles are direct bolt on. (Provided your rocker panel is straight and square, still, which mine on the RH front side apparently is not. Some fine tuning required here).
40 year old design still in use on the GRJ.

20231021_190039.jpg

20231021_204454.jpg

Last edited:
I popped in when this beauty was delivered to her new owner.
The gentleman used to have a farm in Namibia, which he now sold and returned to Germany. He brought a nice, long BJ4 from there and still has two Cruisers (a pickup and a 75) over there for sale.
This short GRJ is for his hunting grounds. He also owns a long GRJ, which is too precious for the woods, he said.
He didn't know ih8mud yet, so I made him aware and we might see him around here, soon.
If you happen to read this: Welcome! Your Cruiser is already here to be admired 😄.
Cheers Ralf

Polish_20231022_190540581.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom