What did you do on your 70 series today? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tested the weight limit on the poptop. Not going to pop it with the raft on there. Just using it to shuttle vehicles.
20230621_191048.jpg

Took the morning off to get some stuff done before the next 6 day monsoon starts.

Top of the list was checking valve clearances for first time....at this point I laugh and shake my head every time I think about the PO/Importer claiming the 77 needed nothing and was ready to take on a trip.......well.....I haven't driven it more than about .3 miles since it arrived.....from truck that delivered into my driveway.

Checking valves and pulling shims to measure isnt a difficult job.....just had to sit down, plan it out, get feeler guages, get the sst to pull shims and be patient.

Every valve was consistently just a little tight....like the last person that did valves flunked math class and did the valve shim calculations consistently wrong.

Had to pull all 12 shims and measure/calculate replacements......shims ordered and avail locally.

If you purchase a used/decades old L/C ....no matter WHAT the condition....you should expect to have to do a bunch of "preventative maint" jobs on it.

Front and rear axle bearings/seals/steering knuckle
Check and address any axle/drive train breather valve issues
Worn steering parts
Assess and replace brakes, brake lines and p-brake as necessary
Lots of rubber/plastic in engine compartment and fuel lines/pick up in the tank
Flush all fluids and replace all filters.....dont forget brake and power steering flush.
Tires/Rims....do your lug nuts have 8 threads enguaged on the studs?

I hope folks will add to my list above.

Edit: OME suspension arrived today....<muhahahahahaha>

Last edited:
I’ve been finding every reason to drive the 75 recently.

So today I requested Fedex hold my package(s) just so I could go pick it up.

Accessories in todays haul included:
Air compressor
Air tank
Winch
Fridge
Slide

Hopefully I’ll be able to address the Holley sniper along with the brakes in the coming weeks. Then I’ll install all the accessories.

96951248-A5FA-4478-ADF9-9C722DDEFD97.jpeg

I’ve been finding every reason to drive the 75 recently.

So today I requested Fedex hold my package(s) just so I could go pick it up.

Accessories in todays haul included:
Air compressor
Air tank
Winch
Fridge
Slide

Hopefully I’ll be able to address the Holley sniper along with the brakes in the coming weeks. Then I’ll install all the accessories.

View attachment 3355795
Have to admit I'm a little jealous. I got excited because my new sun visors are in and I won't have to deal with a floppy visor anymore.

So today I added longer front and rear diff breathers up into the engine bay. I also added a rear air coupler to the rear bumper… I have another cover in order.

IMG_9891.jpeg
IMG_9892.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9862.jpeg

Fan now works on all speeds! New 24V blower resistor was a little hard to find, but I'm enjoying the small victory while I prepare to change my windscreen weatherstripping and cut yet more rust out over the coming weeks...

Changed the h55 fluid, it was shifting a bit rough and i figured it was time. It was overhauled 3 years ago by the previous owner (15000 km on it)
Changed it to chevron delo syn-trans 75-90 full synthetic GL4
Shifts smooth like butter now. The old fluid had lost its viscosity and had a decent amount of fine metallic particulate 😯

Then had to drive it

IMG_20230624_165846~2[2].jpg

IMG_20230624_174422[1].jpg

IMG_20230624_165151~2[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_165341[1].jpg
    IMG_20230624_165341[1].jpg
    114 KB · Views: 16
I purchased a new OEM brass radiator from a local dealer on 4/10/23 for my HZJ77. Went to pick it up about a month later on 5/10/23 and it was damaged during transit to the dealer from the parts depot so I rejected it on the spot and had a replacement ordered and still haven't gotten it and now it is 6/19/23. A bit over two months of dealing with trying to get a new radiator from a local dealer. After speaking with @OGBeno at length about this, the problem seems to be that the dealers in San Antonio are in the GST region rather than TMSUSA region.

Funny thing is that the parts depot for GST is only three hours from me but I can't go pick it up there.

I wish partsouq would ship radiators. They shipped me a windshield from Dubai and it arrived intact and packaged well.
I went through the same mess with dealer... finally ordered one from toyota parts deal. Had it in 2 weeks

I went through the same mess with dealer... finally ordered one from toyota parts deal. Had it in 2 weeks

It really isn't the dealer's fault but if it comes damaged a third time, I will just ask for a refund.

First replacement pipe off the exhaust manifold is in....worst first third done.....

The three bolt securing the pipe to the manifold got a 7 day pblaster spa every day.

Lots of cringing while "applying" breaker bar to them from below on about 2' of extensions but all came off without too much drama.

If anyone has a torque spec on these three bolts with 14mm heads I would appreciate it

Cant find anything so far in fsm or 1hz engine manual

First replacement pipe off the exhaust manifold is in....worst first third done.....

The three bolt securing the pipe to the manifold got a 7 day pblaster spa every day.

Lots of cringing while "applying" breaker bar to them from below on about 2' of extensions but all came off without too much drama.

If anyone has a torque spec on these three bolts with 14mm heads I would appreciate it

Cant find anything so far in fsm or 1hz engine manual

They should be studs with lock nuts. Not bolts.

They should be studs with lock nuts. Not bolts.

Sorry...half cooked brainz today....feels like mid summer in texas today

Three studs coming off the manifold

3 nuts that secure with 14mm socket up to the manifold from below.

I torqued to 30 ft/lbs for starters

Still hunting for proper torrque value if anyone has it in any documentation they have, havent found it yet in cobbled together pdf's I've been able to scavenge as a proper HZJ77 FSM doesnt appear to exist to purchase currently

Sorry...half cooked brainz today....feels like mid summer in texas today

Three studs coming off the manifold

3 nuts that secure with 14mm socket up to the manifold from below.

I torqued to 30 ft/lbs for starters

Still hunting for proper torrque value if anyone has it in any documentation they have, havent found it yet in cobbled together pdf's I've been able to scavenge as a proper HZJ77 FSM doesnt appear to exist to purchase currently
There isn't an FSM for an HZJ77 as such, there is a general 70-series chassis and body manual, a 1HZ manual and a 70-series electrical manual.

I don't see the torque specs for the three nuts on the exhaust downpipe coming off the manual, but the studs for a 1HD-T turbo and turbo outlet pipe are both 38ft-lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom