What did you do on your 70 series today? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went bush.
1660210426473.png

Drove a customers BJ73 that I performed a 1HZ swap in to the Lone Star cruiser meeting yesterday , we had a good turnout and always good to be out amongst cruisers .
8FAA1051-12FA-409A-B7E5-8E595F44AB64.jpeg
48AAB63D-5FA5-4A8F-964D-621B262ABC3B.jpeg
F3D89779-9544-4398-8305-F8E5B478A7AA.jpeg

I got a simple 24V cooler. I don't have a dual battery system [...] So I wired in a battery protector yesterday. [...]
Now the question is: What would be the minimum voltage my truck would still start on? 🤔 I set it to 22V, but that's a guess only.
BJ73, 3B 2x75Ah batteries.
Cheers Ralf

Tested it today. I draw 20Ah from the batteries (4h @5A), starting at 23.1V (so not full), which brought them down to the shutdown at 22V.
With no load, the batteries sat at 22.6V then.
I managed to get two glow cycles within 2min (just to see if it would cope with that). It fired right up, still. There was however a significant pause of about 1sec after the relais clicked before the starter kicked in. The starter didn't sound to have big issues to crank it over. My engine starts very well, so after two revs she is alive, though.
Well, @WarDamnEagle is right: It is borderline. So parking nose down and having jumpercables at hand are wise ideas.
But it's of course not the intention to drain the batteries down that far on a regular bases.
Cheers Ralf

Like your tires. What are they? One of my extra grips has a gash in the side. Still holding air, but I might use it as an excuse to get some new tires.

Those are Kenda Klever R/T 35x10.5R17. I think I have about 10,000-12,000 miles on them and I have been very pleased with them. Nice road manners, fairly quiet, especially compared to BFG MTs, and not too chunky for the soft sand driving I mostly do. I think they are marketed as a hybrid mud terrain/all terrain tire. Lots of people running them now and they get good reviews across a wide variety of terrain conditions. They were so inexpensive when I bought them I'm kicking myself for not getting 2 sets.

The 33x9.5R15 were on sale for a really good price earlier in the summer.

The other side is also done. New brakes, new wheel bearings, new brake hose and I also had to make a new brake tube.
IMG_20220812_170848.jpg

IMG_20220812_190232.jpg

Today I was supposed to change the oils everywhere, but I noticed a few rust holes in the shock absorber mount. So a bit of old material removed and replaced with new material.
IMG_20220813_154141.jpg

IMG_20220813_185251.jpg

Small stuff but made a difference.....

When I did the conversion of my original door cards to newer door cards....one thing I overlooked was how old and beaten up the original door lock knobs would look with the new stuff. For some reason I could not order these separately for my land cruiser off any of the usual parts sites so I got some that are meant for corolla, tercel, etc...anything but land cruiser officially. They worked perfectly though.

lock3.jpg

Old vs. New....

lock2.jpg

Small stuff but made a difference.....

When I did the conversion of my original door cards to newer door cards....one thing I overlooked was how old and beaten up the original door lock knobs would look with the new stuff. For some reason I could not order these separately for my land cruiser off any of the usual parts sites so I got some that are meant for corolla, tercel, etc...anything but land cruiser officially. They worked perfectly though.

View attachment 3086176

Old vs. New....

View attachment 3086177
Do they just snap in?

Do they just snap in?

No. You have to screw them in. Requires removing the door cards to loosen the rod so you can prop the rod up (this also requires peeling back the clear plastic barrier some too). After you prop the rod up, then you unscrew the old knob off and screw on the new knob.

lock1.jpg

Tested it today. I draw 20Ah from the batteries (4h @5A), starting at 23.1V (so not full), which brought them down to the shutdown at 22V.
With no load, the batteries sat at 22.6V then.
I managed to get two glow cycles within 2min (just to see if it would cope with that). It fired right up, still. There was however a significant pause of about 1sec after the relais clicked before the starter kicked in. The starter didn't sound to have big issues to crank it over. My engine starts very well, so after two revs she is alive, though.
Well, @WarDamnEagle is right: It is borderline. So parking nose down and having jumpercables at hand are wise ideas.
But it's of course not the intention to drain the batteries down that far on a regular bases.
Cheers Ralf

Hello,

I remember reading that the manual states that 22 V- 32 V is the normal range for 24-volt electrics.

Is your truck 24 V? Just curious.

A portable starter kit to complement the jumper cables is a good idea.

Juan

I had some SEM plastic paint and time to play with the cruiser. I decided to tackle the trim and face plate that goes around the map light and sunroof controls. It was previously this aged, nasty yellow color that is pretty common with this particular trim piece.

Before:
maplight2.jpg

After:

maplight1.jpg

I do have the outer trim section ordered. When it comes in, I will see if I will go with the new OEM or keep the original that I painted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom