What did you do on your 70 series today? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Although from a drivers standpoint it’s obvious that the 79 Series cab has more leg room than that of the 75 Series but I had never noticed the cosmetic differences on the exterior. (In particular, the cab vents). 😊

DCAF33CF-9232-4D6C-A15B-8615A0921B95.jpeg

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread and that's because our HJ75 has been out of commission. I filled up with water contaminated diesel and it blew the injectors and now cylinder 4 has a misfire. Quotes to rebuild the 12HT were almost as expensive as an engine swap.

I sent it up to Overland Cruisers in Montana to get an engine swap. I worked with Stephen and his crew on my HDJ81 and they did a great job. Plus I have lots of friends in Montana and figured it'd be a good place to travel to late summer to pick it up.

I wanted to keep the diesel fuel for its fuel economy and torque but didn't want to change the drive and feel of the Cruiser. I like going slow. It's part of the fun. Instead of the highway, we take the byways. Plus we have a GX470 for "fast" trips. After discussing some options, Stephen and I decided on the Cummins R2.8. They've put them in a number of 60 series Cruisers, have all their own mounts and adapters, and Stephen's personal Cruiser has one in it. We're going front mount intercooler, mechanical fan clutch, and an ECU that has various programs for better fuel economy, more torque, more power, etc.

Last year, I drove a guy who insisted he *doesn't use the internet - no forums, etc* that had one swapped into his (over)built 60 and it drove exactly how I'd want the Troopy to drive. A guy down in ABQ has one in his Defender troop carrier, built similarly to mine (Alucab conversion, interior buildout, bumpers) and said it's not fast but it felt like the original engine.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people will balk at a Cummins R2.8 in a HJ75 but I'm not interested in putting a used engine with an unknown history in this car. We're in a small city where the mechanics seem to be very averse to diesel Toyotas (other Cruiser owners in town have lamented hardships) I'm excited to have a new engine (we're regearing it as well) and have taken care of most of the glaring issues with this rig so it'll be like new to me.

IMG_9146.JPG

it seems like a great engine,,,, ive read about them and looked at options, but in the end, even though the electronics these days are awesome, i want simple and old school.

what ya doin with the 12HT?

Last edited:
@Bogan …. “I'm sure a lot of people will balk at a Cummins R2.8 in a HJ75.”
——————————————————————————
Unless those people are footing the bill I would simply ignore them. 😊

it seems like a great engine,,,, ive read about them and looked at options, but in the end, even though the electronics these days are awesome, i want simple and old school.

what ya doin with the 12HT?
Simple and old school is easy until it breaks on you in Baja and parts are in Australia. haha. Then you also gotta find someone who isn't booked out 2 years to rebuild / work on it. If it's for a Sunday driver, vintage engines with unknown KMs are fine but we drive a lot for work and missing jobs because of engine problems is a good way to lose clients and $$$

Simple and old school is easy until it breaks on you in Baja and parts are in Australia. haha. Then you also gotta find someone who isn't booked out 2 years to rebuild / work on it. If it's for a Sunday driver, vintage engines with unknown KMs are fine but we drive a lot for work and missing jobs because of engine problems is a good way to lose clients and $$$

Totally agree, but I'm a bum. I drive plenty but don't rely on it for a living and work on my own junk, so, simple is for bums like me.

Your a progressive troopy owner😀

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread and that's because our HJ75 has been out of commission. I filled up with water contaminated diesel and it blew the injectors and now cylinder 4 has a misfire. Quotes to rebuild the 12HT were almost as expensive as an engine swap.

I sent it up to Overland Cruisers in Montana to get an engine swap. I worked with Stephen and his crew on my HDJ81 and they did a great job. Plus I have lots of friends in Montana and figured it'd be a good place to travel to late summer to pick it up.

I wanted to keep the diesel fuel for its fuel economy and torque but didn't want to change the drive and feel of the Cruiser. I like going slow. It's part of the fun. Instead of the highway, we take the byways. Plus we have a GX470 for "fast" trips. After discussing some options, Stephen and I decided on the Cummins R2.8. They've put them in a number of 60 series Cruisers, have all their own mounts and adapters, and Stephen's personal Cruiser has one in it. We're going front mount intercooler, mechanical fan clutch, and an ECU that has various programs for better fuel economy, more torque, more power, etc.

Last year, I drove a guy who insisted he *doesn't use the internet - no forums, etc* that had one swapped into his (over)built 60 and it drove exactly how I'd want the Troopy to drive. A guy down in ABQ has one in his Defender troop carrier, built similarly to mine (Alucab conversion, interior buildout, bumpers) and said it's not fast but it felt like the original engine.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people will balk at a Cummins R2.8 in a HJ75 but I'm not interested in putting a used engine with an unknown history in this car. We're in a small city where the mechanics seem to be very averse to diesel Toyotas (other Cruiser owners in town have lamented hardships) I'm excited to have a new engine (we're regearing it as well) and have taken care of most of the glaring issues with this rig so it'll be like new to me.

Hello,

It is easier to swap in a Cummins R2.8 for a truck in North America. It is a good combination of reliability and parts/service availability. Not my cup of tea but sometimes you have to make rather pragmatic choices to keep going.

Looking forward to see how the Troopie handles with its new powerplant.

Juan

View attachment 2750310
Some of the guys from overseas might post something about this engine not having a good reputation. From my understanding the stateside "R 2.8" is assembled to a higher quality control standard (stateside?) Than the ISF 2.8 out of china. I hope to hear good things about your swap.

At some point I might do a swap when I get tired of the 3B. Current favorites are the r 2.8, Mercedes om603, and om606.

Internet scams were made with Charles in mind. :lol:
Always nice to hear from our friendly moderator first thing in the morning. 😊

Some of the guys from overseas might post something about this engine not having a good reputation. From my understanding the stateside "R 2.8" is assembled to a higher quality control standard (stateside?) Than the ISF 2.8 out of china. I hope to hear good things about your swap.

At some point I might do a swap when I get tired of the 3B. Current favorites are the r 2.8, Mercedes om603, and om606.

Yeah the predecessor to the R2.8 in China had a horrible reputation for sure. The OM606 looked good too! A friend has been dropping those in rigs a lot recently.

Holy cow, how high were they charging for a rebuild??? Not to dig into your financials, but most of the 2.8 swaps I've heard start around $25k and I can't imagine a rebuild being 1/2 of that. Either way, I get you are still rebuilding an older diesel with limited major parts supply vs a new engine with a lot of current support. That definitely counts for a lot.

In the end, it's your rig and your money so if 2.8 is what you want, then go for it.

I really like the isuzu diesels for a swap as well. Lots of support with those.

Holy cow, how high were they charging for a rebuild??? Not to dig into your financials, but most of the 2.8 swaps I've heard start around $25k and I can't imagine a rebuild being 1/2 of that. Either way, I get you are still rebuilding an older diesel with limited major parts supply vs a new engine with a lot of current support. That definitely counts for a lot.

In the end, it's your rig and your money so if 2.8 is what you want, then go for it.

Rebuild kit from Australia + machine shop + OEM parts (if available) + turbo rebuild + new/refurb injectors + man hours + etc etc etc. It all adds up. A budget of $15k is what I was told. I figured I could sell the 12HT and knock off that $25k number... It's still money. A lot of money. But better than any new rig out there in the NA market haha

Makes sense. I was at the same point a few years go but I saved a lot of money by doing the work myself on as much as I could.

It definitely IS better than any new rig available in the US! We be cool to see how it turns out.

i think i was the first to put one in a land cruiser back in the day, absolutely love that engine, and parts are available anywhere and not expensive. i'd actually like to find another one and put it in the troopy, but swap support for them seems to be pretty much gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom