What Did I Do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think Paul made a joke, Judges rule, yup he made a joke. Have you seen an 8-track? Back to the thread topic.......?

Well, hoz this:
Talked to a guy with a 80 at the gas station yesterday.
275,000 miles!
Without a problem.
He was not the kind of guy to change is own PHH.
He did pop the hood to check the oil.
Hate to be his mechanic- what a grimy mess.

We will be getting Ross a car for graduation so I will be getting the Tacoma back in a few weeks. We don't need 5 vehicles but I don't want to sell them.
-Mike-

What kind of car is Ross getting? It sounds like if you want to get rid of the Tacoma, you may have plenty of takers right here. I love our '06 Double-Cab. It's been great as a ski vehicle and for hauling the tent trailer.

Well, hoz this:
Talked to a guy with a 80 at the gas station yesterday.
275,000 miles!
Without a problem.
He was not the kind of guy to change is own PHH.
He did pop the hood to check the oil.
Hate to be his mechanic- what a grimy mess.

Maybe that's the key - leave the engine filthy and it holds it all together!

275K - that's pretty impressive. I'm at 182,000 now. I hope to get to 300K and beyond, but it will take a while at 5,000 - 6,000 miles per year.

Maybe that's the key - leave the engine filthy and it holds it all together!

Do you think that works for the body too? I wanted to wash the mud off my truck today, but did not get around to it.

What kind of car is Ross getting? It sounds like if you want to get rid of the Tacoma, you may have plenty of takers right here. I love our '06 Double-Cab. It's been great as a ski vehicle and for hauling the tent trailer.

I am pretty sure we will be keeping the Tacoma. It is a beautiful dark green that I absolutely love! Tan cloth guts, 4x4, auto, X-cab "with everything you need and nothing you don't". We just put new BFG A/T's on it a week ago.

Connie found an '05 G35 Coupe with 6MT that looks pretty good. I think she is closing the deal on Monday. I pointed him to the red Celica GT like yours that was parked right next to the G, but that V6 was calling him back. :D

-Mike-

Progress

If everything is clean, painted and well ordered it will look like I know what I'm doing.
Yes?
IMG_3827 LR.jpg

Awww, what a cute little crankshaft!

Awww, what a cute little crankshaft!

Indeed!
The whole thing is cute, compact, clean, cheap, light and efficient.

Machine shop tally was $1400.
Block hot tank, reworked heads, cam bearings install, cylinder hone and complete rebuild kit including reground crank, new tappets, oil pump, rings, seals, gaskets, and stuff.

I'd love to know the equivalent cost for a 1FZ-FE....

I'm curious to hear what the difference in mpg is.

Did they do any assembly?

Is this something you could get done in Salida or did you have to go farther out, such as Alamosa for the work?

Indeed!

Block hot tank, reworked heads, cam bearings install, cylinder hone and complete rebuild kit including reground crank, new tappets, oil pump, rings, seals, gaskets, and stuff.

Looks good - will it be ready in time for Cruise Moab? :clap:

OK, well maybe next year then. Of course, maybe you can still drive it over with the original motor.

Looks good - will it be ready in time for Cruise Moab? :clap:

I say we should give him at least another 5 years to complete the project.

:popcorn:

I say we should give him at least another 5 years to complete the project.

:popcorn:

I could see myself following your vehicle build schedule, Jon. I'm in no hurry. Haste makes waste.
Besides, as you imply, the way my brain works ....measure 10 times, cut twice.

I was hoping to get to CM 2010 (with the 1FZ), but missed the deadline. Dang.
Can someone take FZJ -V8 notes for me? Assuming this conversion is gaining at least some popularity this side of Oz.

I am very lucky that there is a well qualified machine shop here in Salida. In fact, he does the engine work for Merle at Classic Cruisers.

I had him do the complete head assembly and he installed the cam bearings.
I'm on my own for the rest of it.

Funny about Moab. I'll be there during the Jeep Safari (in the Subaru with some hiking boots).
And I'll be there the week before CM for a conference (in the Subaru with mountain bike).
All expenses paid trip to Moab - imagine that.

Hey Jon - it's the SWUG conference. Want me to talk to your boss?

juane

Indeed!

I'd love to know the equivalent cost for a 1FZ-FE....

Edwards Racing Engines here in town charged me $300 for just the head.

I am not sure what a 1FZ would cost considering the un-obtanium oil pump bushing would need to be pressed out and then a new one made to put back in.

I think $1400 would be a good price figure for a 1FZ as well, depending on what was being done.

That said, a new 1FZ short block is only $2800 or so.

:)

I think $1400 would be a good price figure for a 1FZ as well, depending on what was being done.

:)

dude, are you high? :D

Let me quote Juan " Machine shop tally was $1400.
"

You think that if you drop off a 1FZ-FE engine long block at a machine shop, they can do the whole thing for $1400 including all of the parts mentioned above?

Crankshaft grounding $$
Complete rebuild kit $$
Cylinder hone $
Head machining including a valve job $$
New Oil pump (wouldn't be needed in our case)
Adjust valve clearance (shops just love doing this on an DOHC engine using the stupid bucket shims, NOT! ) $$$
New rings and bearings from Toyota alone would cost somewhere north of $400. $$$
Labor to do all this work $$$$

Yeah, not for $1400. :flipoff2:

dude, are you high? :D

Let me quote Juan " Machine shop tally was $1400.
"

You think that if you drop off a 1FZ-FE engine long block at a machine shop, they can do the whole thing for $1400 including all of the parts mentioned above?

Crankshaft grounding $$
Complete rebuild kit $$
Cylinder hone $
Head machining including a valve job $$
New Oil pump (wouldn't be needed in our case)
Adjust valve clearance (shops just love doing this on an DOHC engine using the stupid bucket shims, NOT! ) $$$
New rings and bearings from Toyota alone would cost somewhere north of $400. $$$
Labor to do all this work $$$$

Yeah, not for $1400. :flipoff2:

Hence my disclaimer of "I think"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom