What are your A/C Temps? FZJ80 Looking for A/C help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lue fan clutch mod and less than 1000 miles on whole system.

New OEM (or Denso)
Compressor
Condenser
Expansion valve
Filter/Drier
Evaporator
Radiator is new TYC.
It only had a half a pound of Freon in it so they sucked it out and brought it up to 2 pounds
Someone charged your AC system with half a pound R134a after putting in all those new parts?

@richardlillard1 and I have chased good A/C performance for several years, because we are typically running trails twice a week, all year long. One key component that has made a big difference for me is the condenser- they become less efficient over time, and there are better designs now then those that were available in the 90's. I changed mine to a Nissens parallel flow unit and added some electric fans. Now it regularly gets down to 43 degrees and cycles off if I'm at speed, and holds 60 degrees at an idle and low speeds- ambient temps be damned. I also run Envirosafe refrigerant, which runs at lower pressures so it's easier on the system, and has proven to produce colder results on several vehicles I tested it on. Richard has experimented with changing out the evaporator core (same theory- degraded performance over time) as well as the condenser and also has very good A/C performance now, running 134A and a single electric fan IIRC. We both run modified fan clutches that pull more air through the condenser and radiator than the stock configuration.

@ChaseTruck / @DSRTRDR may have something to contribute to the thread as well- I know at least one of their vehicles has excellent A/C. To be fair, in my experience that's not typical for 80s, so be prepared to work/pay for it.
You guys are very helpful!!! By the way I ended up removing more oil and added 1.98 refrigerant with no success. I need help.

Thank you for your input. I took it to a local shop that I trust and they hooked up all the equipment to it, they vacuumed it down and said that it held vacuum and no leaks!
It only had a half a pound of Freon in it so they sucked it out and brought it up to 2 pounds. Also the auxiliary fan (that I so painstakingly installed with a fuse and relay )was blowing air backwards. Somewhere between flipping the fan blade around and changing the wires I messed it up.I’m sure that was not helpful.
:doh:

I admit I forgot about this - and as of right now, the LX sits in my garage with a busted brake booster :bang:

happened on the trail just this Saturday, first there was intermittent hard pedal on braking, alternating with normal/soft - then, fortunately, by the time the pedal was rock-hard, I was off the steep sections of the trail - braking was hard to come by on the way home, too . . . :mad:

running the A/C while the truck is in the garage won't give meaningful readings, I am afraid - so before I can get the new booster in, I won't be of much help, sorry

hope y'all get your A/Cs figured out :cheers:

Thank you for your input. I took it to a local shop that I trust and they hooked up all the equipment to it, they vacuumed it down and said that it held vacuum and no leaks!
It only had a half a pound of Freon in it so they sucked it out and brought it up to 2 pounds. Also the auxiliary fan (that I so painstakingly installed with a fuse and relay )was blowing air backwards. Somewhere between flipping the fan blade around and changing the wires I messed it up.I’m sure that was not helpful.
Mines blowing at 40-45 now at idle. I think the aux fan is helping.

9C35C36B-3F5C-4C21-B45F-033F9A7C97F8.jpeg

I had the entire AC system replaced with OEM/Denso parts mostly from Rock Auto. I checked my vent temps the other day and I am getting 43 degrees at highway speed with the ambient air temp at 108, 60 degree vent temp at idle. Huge improvement over the 27 year old system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom