What are you working on? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@brian - I also drive my 40 on a pretty regular basis ON roads so always happy to bring it to non-wheeling events. The goal with my truck is to make it a capable green/blue trailer without sacrificing too much in the way of streetability. Someday I'll build something for blacks but this 40 ain't it.

Got some new TRD T4R SEMA wheels and KO2 tires for the Taco. Tires are stock size and look puny but not planning on any new suspension so stock it is. Also scored some predator steps on CL. Now the little one can climb in a bit easier.
C8A478AB-E30E-4B70-8D62-3D75762F564B.jpeg

Got some new TRD T4R SEMA wheels and KO2 tires for the Taco. Tires are stock size and look puny but not planning on any new suspension so stock it is. Also scored some predator steps on CL. Now the little one can climb in a bit easier. View attachment 2156381

Just because you mentioned a little one - did you ever happen to try a rear-facing car seat in a Tacoma? I've been tossing the idea of a Tacoma around for a while but I have a REALLY little one... I'm guessing even with a double cab thing would be tight.

Just because you mentioned a little one - did you ever happen to try a rear-facing car seat in a Tacoma? I've been tossing the idea of a Tacoma around for a while but I have a REALLY little one... I'm guessing even with a double cab thing would be tight.
Negative. Sorry I can’t help but try Tacomaworld.

Negative. Sorry I can’t help but try Tacomaworld.

No worries, been over there I think - lots of mixed opinions between “no” and “no problem.” Ultimately I’ll just bring a car seat on the test drive if I decide to pull the trigger.

It fits. I have a Britax and it fit in my 80 and my mom's 18 Taco without too much issue (center seat position). We had a base setup before and that also fit. I'm 6ft and had no issues

Cool dude, great product, highly recommended! I was camped near him at Hundreds in the Hills last year and bought one of the fobs - it is super nice!

One surgically removed crossmember. So a 4x4 labs bumper can take its place.
But one could and rightly ask why does the guy that doesnt wheel need such hardware?
The answer is simple...I want one...but really.
A. The ome springs are going to ride better with some more weight back there...no not really but it sounds good.
B. Mainly the rear quarters are toast. So I'm just going to chop them off, but I dont really care much for that semi bobbed look....lucky for me that I'm cutting them right about at the line of the quarter protection side plates of the bumper.
With some careful measurements and a strong will I should be able to get the bumper to hide that butchery.

20191220_131158.jpg

20191220_130959.jpg

20181209_123637.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly (way more than slightly actually) concerned that the cammo truck is using coolant again. I think the excessive BARS crap all through the system may be the issue and this motor is beyond saving. Oil is very clean and no obvious smoke or heating issues yet, but saw just a hint of milkshake in the PCV catch container.

The cammo truck seems to take an excessive amount of time to push heat through the vents as well. The engine temp is good, just seems the heat takes longer than normal to start running hot. Maybe I have a bubble in the system? If so, the odd and extreme angles wheeling should help purge the system :meh:

Also have a new thing where I get the battery light on startup after the truck sits for 2-3 days. It then charges right up and the truck starts strong and quickly. Possible I have a bad ground somewhere? I may just take it to the dealer and have them chase it down ... I'm no good at electrical crap. I just want this truck up and running so I can work on the LX in the spring.

Better to fix the actual problem than resort to BARS. That stuff causes more problems and gums everything up... Guessing it's also clogged up your heater - hence no heat.

The things that you can here on mud never ceases to amaze me.
This drawing just made my life so much easier.

frame dimensions.JPG.jpg

20191222_104012.jpg

Out with the old injection setup, in with the new. Motor runs much smoother, but still stumbling a bit. Needs run some more.
035C7995-B342-485C-8C92-814757233478.jpeg
0D445917-0479-44E1-9010-D3475C0789DE.jpeg

I also was given the opportunity to redo the transmission crossmember mounts.
I had the mount up tight to the bottom of the frame rails....turns out it has a cant to it...the rear is 0.875" lower...it was easily enough corrected.

The 40 series will get parked in the garage shortly...going to replace its 4:11 rears with some 3:70s.
Come next spring I think it's time I really get going on getting the 87 apart.

20191226_081650.jpg

Hello Gents, Looks like its been a hot minutes since I have posted anything.

Been a busy body the past couple of months with work and such.
Before Thanksgiving I won a trip to Vegas for work, so I was out there, took my husband for his first time out, saw the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon and took a few shows in. Great time. Our rental....a 2019 Jeep Wrangler, that (as the fires of hell burn me) I really liked. I was very impressed with the road manners both on and off, and the features and pep. Blasphemy I know but I think Jeep got a nice formula going on with the latest Wrangler...

I have also been working on the SC400, I upgraded all the lights to LED but has a problem, I could not get the turn signals to not stop hyper flashing. So I looked into it a little more and found that my Alternator was about a kaput, so a new 130amp upgrade went in:

Hyper flash is gone except for low idle, which I chalk up to the main power and ground wires, I will be doing the 'Big 3' upgrade to it shortly since the line from the alternator to the battery was rock solid...
Speaking of rock solid, I will be putting in rear solid subframe bushings since the factory ones finally gave up, everytime I take a turn the steering wheel comes back to a different center, and I can feel myself dog legging.

Before Christmas, maintenance was due on the Rav4. Part of my maintenance is checking tire pressure including the spare, which I found flat, becuase tehre was a nail I failed to see the first time I checked it and pumped it up. In the process I saw some rust drip down so I removed the spare cover and found accident damage no on the Carfax, whoopie.... I guess I will have to get a door from Harry's soon. At least it has a remote start that has the hubs over the moon happy.

Then the usual I cooked food picture, I had to make a hook for the fry basket of the fryer since I left the other one I had out and it finally rusted, and also cooked an epic Brisket, I finally found a butcher local! All the meats!

Then yesterday I decided to do a once over on the 4Runner because I noticed the rear end feeling a little twitchy... All lower arms felts great, bolts good. Then I checked the Panhard and that confirmed the cause of the twitchy rear end. Since its an aftermarket adjustable arm bushings aren't readily available. I checked stock of what I had and found some lower shock mount bushings and did some grinding down to make them work. Night and day difference driving the truck now!

Then last but not least in the least bit, I did a thing today, meet Brutus (yes I give my vehicles names):

Its a 2016 Limited Edition TRD Off-Road Package with 23K. It showed up at the dealer last week, and I was like "lets see if I can make a deal"
Almost mirror image to Andy's truck (except he has the 20's and no TRD off road and running board and a bed cover).
I have been wanting a truck for a while now, and after driving Andy's a while ago I knew that something like this would suit every need. Its not a Mega cab with a sunroof like I originally was leaning towards, but I smacked myself to my sense, I need the bed space more then I need a sunroof really. The heated leather seats make up for it lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom