What are you working on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed the Delta Shelf brackets I've had sitting around for a while. Nice mounting hardware, but the nuts and bolts to hold the shelf in place were a FAIL. The shelf kept falling off and slipping under the washers so I just used zip ties for now. Decided to go with an offset shelf to help keep things from falling off the back side.
20190620_115659[1].jpg

20190620_120545[1].jpg

20190620_120538[1].jpg

Just a slight restriction of the rear glass
20190630_120236[1].jpg

New snorkel showed up and installed. Every bit as much of a PITA as doing it the first time.
20190629_131124[1].jpg

Did a tire rotation today so I figured I would test fit the new 17” sequoia wheels I plucked off Craigslist. I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the spacers and see how I like the silver on silver look. Gave them a good scrub and bolted them on with no issues. They actually drove really nice like riding in a limo! It’s been awhile since I drove my Tacoma with stock size highway rubber! After the test fit the bighorns went back on for another round of abuse. Let me know what you guys think- keep them silver or paint them black. The only thing I don’t like about them is the small slot between spokes is going to be a pain to keep clean and the offset is a little more sucked in by .5”

D06EB5B0-5DDB-43B3-8A39-CF6AA79BCDBB.jpeg

36C2C809-15E2-42A3-9DE6-950CFEE9D1AB.jpeg

145085E2-A8C5-4EEC-BD06-5A0E850735DE.jpeg

7651CCB5-B49D-44A6-B3F6-D6AC31DCD476.jpeg

CF95E91C-4ADE-41AD-99F3-9C81B00ED51E.jpeg

Replaced the tail light lenses and front corner lights b/c I was tired of the bedliner overspray and one of the tail light lenses being popped (thanks AOAA). The PO had done some questionable combining of the front turn signals and marker lights...long story short it involved 1.25" drywall screws and plastic bottle caps. The turn signals were replaced with adorable little 3/4" LED's into factory holes in the front x-member.

Replaced the tail light lenses and front corner lights b/c I was tired of the bedliner overspray and one of the tail light lenses being popped (thanks AOAA). The PO had done some questionable combining of the front turn signals and marker lights...long story short it involved 1.25" drywall screws and plastic bottle caps. The turn signals were replaced with adorable little 3/4" LED's into factory holes in the front x-member.

View attachment 2018886
@hman913, I like those!

Would you please share some pics of your steering box and how it's mounted, can be via PM.
I'm installing cross over steering on an '81 and have some questions.

More like "What is @dci blair working on"! I personally am staying up late sending our proposals so that I can pay bills for Blair to keep wrenching and working his magic on the new-to-me 40!

Super excited to get a few photos from the shop today.

Thanks again Blair!

IMG_5931.JPG

I personally am staying up late sending our proposals so that I can pay bills for Blair to keep wrenching and working his magic on the new-to-me 40!

i now know "where" you work.....apparently i will driving past the office on a fairly regular basis picking up material from our favorite vendor.

Cool, stop by and say hello sometime! (there are usually a few Tundras parked out front, but mine is the only one with a 6.5' bed)

@hman913, I like those!

Would you please share some pics of your steering box and how it's mounted, can be via PM.
I'm installing cross over steering on an '81 and have some questions.

@Pacer thanks.

Typical IFS steering box with reinforcement plates welded to both sides of the frame. The box is mounted as far forward as the front crossmember allows. If you need anything else lemme know!

Started work on the knuckles for the white cruiser today. It's gonna be a slog since it's so freaking hot outside. The PO was apparently in here at some point with none of the proper tools as the outer lock nut required an impact to remove ... WTF?!? The wheel had a bunch of play up and down and so does the birf inside of the spindle. Otherwise the knuckle looks well greased and not very soupy.

Anybody have ideas what could be causing the excessive play? It's maybe 1/8" up and down inside the spindle. Maybe that is normal and I just forgot?

I removed the lower bearing now and just have the ABS sensor and upper bearing to remove and the knuckle will be free.

the axle will have play in the spindle with the hub off it....the spindle bushing is merely a guide not a bearing surface.
once everything is together each end of the axle is supported.

@brian ... it seemed to have play while the spindle was still on. Setting the proper pre-load should fix the wheel bearing play and if not then something else is def wrong.

I think I decided to put on new seals and put everything back together for now since it doesn't appear to be weeping at the ball and does have a good amount of the black moly grease in it. That way I can save the full rebuild kit for when I see the seals go and get my son back to learning to drive in it asap.

So are the CCOT panels any better?

apparently my standards are set too high, i'm not overly excited about either set.
what it's looking like right now, is using the ccot outer with rs inner panels.

apparently my standards are set too high, i'm not overly excited about either set.
what it's looking like right now, is using the ccot outer with rs inner panels.

That’s surprising - I though the corners of the inner panels on the RS set left something to be desired (clearly hand peened with minimum effort). I thought the outside panels for RS looked pretty good. I haven’t seen the CCOT to compare though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom