What are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need assistance on 2 things I am working on the 40th FJ80.

- P0402 Code (some of the things done, cleaned throttle body, cleaned and checked TPS, checked vacuum lines, cleaned VSV on intake).

- Sqealing during accelerations (checked vacuum lines)

Thanks, Rich
Check your belts. If they were just replaced tighten the tensioner. If they look worn out replace them.

I second the checking the belt tightness. Put new ones on the 4Runner and had to go over them once more after about 100 miles.

The P0402, sounds like an stuck open EGR port. I'm not familiar enough with the engines in these trucks. Sometimes you can perform a seafoam treatment through the intake and it will help loosen things up, if not the valve will have to come off and either attempted to be cleaned or replaced.

I second the checking the belt tightness. Put new ones on the 4Runner and had to go over them once more after about 100 miles.

The P0402, sounds like an stuck open EGR port. I'm not familiar enough with the engines in these trucks. Sometimes you can perform a seafoam treatment through the intake and it will help loosen things up, if not the valve will have to come off and either attempted to be cleaned or replaced.

I rechecked all belts and tightened the belts. I guess you can say its a sqeal or whistle sound coming from passenger side. I seen some post on the forum that I can be a exhaust leak or a vacuum leak.

On the P0402 error I seafoam spray cleaner on the intake and used the whole can then followed it up with a Seafoam gas treatment. I also replaced the PCV valve and replaced both valve cover vent tubes plus I removed the throttle body, cleaned and replaced gasket.

Thanks

I rechecked all belts and tightened the belts. I guess you can say its a sqeal or whistle sound coming from passenger side. I seen some post on the forum that I can be a exhaust leak or a vacuum leak.

On the P0402 error I seafoam spray cleaner on the intake and used the whole can then followed it up with a Seafoam gas treatment. I also replaced the PCV valve and replaced both valve cover vent tubes plus I removed the throttle body, cleaned and replaced gasket.

Thanks

I had an 80 years ago that used to sound like it had a turbo. That is a fairly common noise on them I believe. It think it is exhaust related. My more recent one did not have the noise.

I had an 80 years ago that used to sound like it had a turbo. That is a fairly common noise on them I believe. It think it is exhaust related. My more recent one did not have the noise.

Thanks!

The 80 runs great and my wife loves the truck so just fixing up the minor things.

@Rics4rnr,
That 80 has had an intake whistle since I first cranked it up.
I had an old 2.2 subaru who did the same thing.
I've also heard other 80s do it.
Try opening the air box and drive around a bit, may change, better/worse or not at all, I don't know, but I don't think it is bad for anything.

Remember I removed the idler pulley from one belt, the bearing was winning like a bad oil pump sound. Others run without this pulley on the 1fz without issue, but if your having troubles, try putting the old one back and see if that solves the belt noise. It was in the console when you picked it up. If so, get a new bearing and drive on :steer:

PO402 is EGR stuck open. Excessive Flow.....

Glad your enjoying and reviving it, it really needed an owner like you! :cheers:

Last edited:
If the egr is stuck open (like a piece of carbon holding it open) that could cause said noise. Both issues could be related. It might be worth the effort to pop the egr off and inspect it.

If the egr is stuck open (like a piece of carbon holding it open) that could cause said noise. Both issues could be related. It might be worth the effort to pop the egr off and inspect it.
Thanks Blair! It will be the next thing I will try.

found a used safari snorkel for next to nothing so i got an ebay special and used the stainless hardware for the install. template was useless but with some guesstimations it went in pretty well. next up sliders!

Just putting some feelers out there for my REMCO aluminum roof rack, stainless tube side steps that mount in the same spots as stock running boards and JAOS offroad challenger stainless brush guard that came on my HDJ81 when i imported it from japan. As far as i know neither were offered in the US. The roof rack is lightweight and very strong same with the brush guard. it might even brush off a deer impact.
pm me if you're interested

I decided to remove the running boards and install front door speakers. What do you think?

20180801_125201.jpg

20180730_202423.jpg

Spent yesterday re-tightening the wheel bearings on the front hubs. My cheat sheet said 4ft/lbs on the inner nut ... not even close. Jacked up the front and both wheels could be wobbled up and down a bit. Set it for 34ft/lbs now and it seems sturdy. 47ft/lbs on the outside nut.

Also continued my ongoing battle to try and keep the cats off the guard on the slider. When I push it up out of the way and put in spacers it only takes a day or two to warp the bracket enough for it to hit the guard and rattle again. Now made worse since the resonator was cut off during the rear bumper install and the rear pipe is kind of bouncing around in the rear now. Not sure what the long term solution is here. Might have to start looking at exhaust options.

Well, it was a fun 600 miles but my nice new 350 decided to start puking oil out the intake manifold gaskets two days ago. Both side gaskets failed simultaneously - I had oil along both heads and pushing out the intake bolts .

B5BA3326-5ADA-4DB1-8A06-85A6D92E13D5.jpeg

After some googling, I called Edelbrock and confirmed my suspicions - it sounds like the blue FelPro steel-core intake gaskets are too “hard” for aluminum intakes. They’re designed to crush at 45 ft lbs (iron manifold). You only tighten the aluminum manifolds to 25 foot pounds.

So - hard lesson learned, looks like I’m pulling the carb and dizzy, draining the radiator, scraping some gaskets, and trying again with an Edelbrock gasket set (looks like a printoseal style).

Word of warning to anyone running a 350 - I had definitely never heard of this before, but I hope this was my mistake!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom