What are you working on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent Christmas weekend replacing the CV boots on my mother's 2005 VW Passat TDI. The one boot on the passenger side had cracked open, but all four boots had cracking in the bottoms of the pleats.

A few things really slowed me down on the first side. Fortunately, I found one online discussion that said you didn't have to take the control arm off to get the axle shaft out - like every other discussion/video was saying. That saved quite a bit of time. But there were many discussions of how to disassemble the joints, which gave me no love until I found a tap with a drift knocked it right off... :rolleyes:

IMG_6602edit.jpg

The band clamps were an absolute bear. The big ones were about 3mm too small and trying to hold everything to push the ends together enough for the teeth to engage took entirely too much time - each time.

IMG_6592edit.JPG

I was really afraid that I was going to rip the tab off of them before they engaged. The smaller ones were sized perfectly - large enough to engage and then they crimped down perfectly.

Last edited:
Putting together some bling for the workshop...

IMG_6657edit.JPG

And now that im home to actually see them.
The plan says i should see 4.4L at an 8.5 to 1 compression ratio. Add in a mild cam and i may enjoy this ride even more than i already do.

20240129_172024.jpg

Do you re-use the original wrist pins or do these pistons come with fitted pins?

new wrist pins with them.
i'am looking for a set of 1979+ connecting rods if you know of any....nothing wrong with what i have, just the newer ones are somehow better and if im already in there monkeying around why not?

Its close enough to be official now.
Other than surface, there isn't a spot of rust on it.
Hasn't been inspected and on the road in the last 40 some years.

IMG_6022.jpg

I've been working on building an English wheel using Wray Schelin's DIY design:

He uses 4"x4"x1/4" tube steel as an accessible material (as opposed to cutting plate steel to shape) and incorporates a double square design for stiffness.

So far I have all the pieces cut and tacked together and am working through welding all the joints. Then there are plates to cap the open tubes and fabrication of the legs. I have a set of wheels, anvils, adjuster, and cradle from Hoosier Profiles that I will be using with it.
IMG_6716edit.JPG

Should be doing some title work the end of this week.
Its still happening....just a lot slower than i can stand.

Its still happening....just a lot slower than i can stand.
Still, still happening.
I bought a house quicker than this

prying from the fingers of a guy that doesn't want to let it go?
Out of state guy, cruiser is in pa.
Dude travels alot, getting him here has been the issue, along with a title issue...if i understand this correctly....ill be the 2nd owner. He never titled it in his name after the original owner passed.

Out of state guy, cruiser is in pa.
Dude travels alot, getting him here has been the issue, along with a title issue...if i understand this correctly....ill be the 2nd owner. He never titled it in his name after the original owner passed.
That is certainly a challenge, if it is like one of mine, it was purged from the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom