What are you working on? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

messing around with some budbuilts on a 74rebuild.

1974quarter.jpg

1974quarter2.jpg

Tires on. Need to adjust the steering stops as they get into the front of the front springs at full lock. Also need to trim front fenders for clearance on articulation, videos from CMCC show the 33’s getting intro the outer edges of the front fenders. So these will be worse.

I did rework the rear exhaust that created the clearance issues in the back, and went back to the glass pack cherry bomb mufflers. They’re a bit louder, but just fit better. We’ll see if I can live with it.

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

Secondary air injection system finally took a dump on the GX so spent the evening installing the Hewitt Technologies bypass kit. Very impressed with the quality and instructions. And saved a lot of money!

Went by local 4WheelParts where they have a RTI ramp to see how the exhaust mods worked, where rear bump stops have to go, and how much more I need trim the front fenders. They were cool about it and supposedly are putting me in their FB page. Could have gone little higher but wanted to stop before creasing the front lip of the fender.

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0210.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

If you don’t mind a question on the placard/ tag is the lettering etched onto it or more like painted on ?

Gotcha I couldn’t tell from the pic, the reason I asked was because I deal with older equipment in industrial settings and a lot of times the painted ones are worn away and unreadable. It’s always nice to be able to read them many years later and contact the vendor for future work/parts.

May lead to future business for you 😎

Gotcha I couldn’t tell from the pic, the reason I asked was because I deal with older equipment in industrial settings and a lot of times the painted ones are worn away and unreadable. It’s always nice to be able to read them many years later and contact the vendor for future work/parts.

May lead to future business for you 😎
this isnt a just because tag....that is a tag that must be in place, to indicate that work performed on this metallic pressure retaining item was done by a company that is authorized by the national board of boiler and pressure vessel inspectors to do so...therefore showing that the work was done in accordance with the most recent edition of the nation board inspection code, part 3, at the time of the repair or alteration.

Last edited:
and down the road it goes.
A peerless u1-2 traction engine will be showing up sometime this fall for a re-rate of the boiler and misc tin work on the water tanks and ash pan.

20230923_095905.jpg

Dug out the old full doors, hoping to keep the inside just a little warmer as it gets cooler. The fit is a little wonky with the top, but whatever. There’s still no heat, so that’s the next mission. Also, don’t look too close as the bottom of both doors are really rusted out. They don’t make patch panels for the early ones that I’ve found, I may want to get the late model ones and massage them to fit.

IMG_0390.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

This past weekend I finally I got around to pulling the front diff out of the 4Runner and making it 2WD for now. When I drained the fluid some chunks came out. ::yikes::

Finally got to work today and took it apart. My gut instinct was correct, I started to strip the spider gears, been here done that. This time it wasn't as catastrophic and I could still drive it down the road, as apposed to the last time I did it out in Ohio I screwed everything up, Andy M remembers that trip I am sure 😂

A piece of the spider gear got stuck between the ring and case and marred up the case a bit but the ring and pinion itself looks good.

Goal now is to try to remove as much metal as I can, throw it in the parts washer and give it a good rinse and then take a spiders gears from a front diff I have in the garage (didn't realize I even had it till I was looking for something else.... :rolleyes: ) and put it all back together.

Yes proper repair would dictate changing out all the bearings and such, But doing this saves me some money that I need for other projects. Additionally, I don't drive the truck enough.

The game plan I do have in my head now, I will take the diff I am pulling the spider gears from and slowly build it with a locker and gears and have it ready when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom