VEVOR Transmission Jack Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PAToyota

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
So I picked up this VEVOR transmission jack a few weeks back when Home Depot had them on sale for $132. As luck would have it, the local grocery store had a deal on Home Depot gift cards that week too - 10x fuel reward points. So I got a $135 gift card and got $34 off my next fillup - bringing the price down to about $100 plus tax.

Overall, for the money there wasn't too much to complain about. Yes, there are better options out there. They also start at $600 and go up from there.

IMG_6549edit.JPG
IMG_6550edit.JPG

The three things that I noticed in assembling it are the cradle, that the release lever is awkward - particularly if you're trying to keep a hand on balancing or maneuvering a transmission as you lower it, and the bolt holes through the legs aren't sleeved so the tubes flexed a bit and I was a bit worried about stability over time.

I decided to address the legs, because that was the easiest to start with. So I tore it apart, drilled out the holes, and sleeved them.

IMG_6559edit.JPG

IMG_6560edit.JPG

IMG_6561edit.JPG

Then, because I can't leave well enough alone, I stripped the legs down and sandblasted them.

IMG_6577edit.JPG

IMG_6623edit.JPG

And then powder coated them before reassembling everything.

IMG_6624edit.JPG

IMG_6631edit.JPG

IMG_6632edit.JPG

It feels a lot more secure now. I'm likely going to work on the cradle next to improve it. I'm not sure if I can do anything about the release valve to turn it into a foot pedal.

Oh, and while the powder coat oven was warmed up, I coated a couple cutouts I did on the plasma able while I was at it.

IMG_6633edit.JPG

Those jacks are handy. I’ve had one for a few years and have made bolt on jigs for removing T-cases, transmissions and front axels when working alone. A must tool to compliment a two post lift.

nicely done!

that thing does look rather spindly when fully extended, though. Does it seem sturdy enough?

I haven't put anything on it yet, but extending it fully and shaking it around a bit I don't think there will be any issues. As I say, I'm likely going to make some modifications to the cradle to make it more useful.

One of the mods I did on the cradle (aside from custom jigs) was to tack weld the nuts to eliminate the need for two wrenches. It will be obvious which ones to tack.
I will also add these jacks are pretty stable when extended into the second stage.

Totally agree. Why don't people seem to understand captured (or welded) nuts any more?

Because it costs more to manufacture.
Greed

I suppose that over 1000's of units the pennies add up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom