What are you working on? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not as exciting as it sounds!

Was driving down 30 one morning and lost heat (started blowing cold air). About a mile later it started pinging - temp gage was still at normal. By the time I got to the next exit it would stall while the clutch was in.....

Turns out it rapidly dumped ALL the coolant and overheated. Still turns over, but very slowly....

I didn't care to look too deep. I did check and all the hoses look to be attached and good. Some nice day when I have nothing happening I'll check again more in depth - or maybe I'll let the next guy figure it out 😁

Nothing new with the Toyotas, been too busy with work and adding several new staff, as well as clearing the house site. Started off overgrown and very difficult to walk through, but getting there. The JD 850 has been running like a top and making things a bit easier. Probably 16 more trees to come down, hopefully I will get that done tomorrow.

Worked with an architect to refine and formalize the design we came up with and got those plans approved. Trying to save a bit of money, so I have been doing the site design and getting all the permits myself. Builder, excavation contractor and cabinet manufacturer are my neighbors, and most of the other trades are also from Perry County, so we are keeping this project local.

Driveway gets cut in next week, along with the basement.
06A70311-57F8-46A5-8AB3-24404D7B7599.jpeg

Last edited:
He wanted to get at least $500 for it, we settled on $1000.

Wait... You talked him UP in price?!?! Especially for a Jeep?!?!

I've had a strong urge to toss my spare 3rz W56 and D300 in a Jeep for awhile. I feel like it would be a solid combo, my buggy moves pretty good with its 3rz.

I've had a strong urge to toss my spare 3rz W56 and D300 in a Jeep for awhile. I feel like it would be a solid combo, my buggy moves pretty good with its 3rz.
This would rip in a lightweight early CJ or flat-fender. Do it. Now. :)

In other news, no Yota wrenching, still looking for FJ60 rears to fix the sagged out set I have. Did do new tires and front pads/rotors on the DD, which is a ‘05 Saab 9-5 2.3t. Fairly straightforward, drivers side went good but passenger rotor rust-welded itself to the drive flange at the center hub. Stupid Northeast. BFH didn’t dislodge it at first, took some heat from the propane torch and added violence from the blacksmith hammer to free things up.

.... added violence from the blacksmith hammer to free things up.

Ive never found an occasion where adding some, or even too much violence wasnt an answer....i have however, found where it is the wrong answer from time to time, well most of the time.

Been too long since I popped on the forum- here’s my excuse- a boat. Been working on the teak on my boat major pain in da ass. Taco is fine, got some maintenance done that’s about it. About to replace a stuck caliper on the 3rd Gen rav my dad has. Looking forward to wheeling soon. Those pics of the barrens were sick. Here’s the before and after of the teak.
7213513D-3264-48B2-B0F7-A2924790FF2D.jpeg
6992B4B1-E1F8-4957-826E-3A8D754A8FCE.jpeg

Had to zip strip and scrape the old finish off, then sand with 120, then clean with 2 part teak cleaner and a brightener, then sand with 220 and a rub down with 000 steel wool and a wipe down with solvent. Now it is drying out in the house with this wet weather. Going to apply the final product soon. Also had to repair some damage from my clumsy overweight fishing buddies big ass feet. Good to check in and see what’s up see you guys and gals soon.

Last edited:
Got two coats on- have to wait 24hours between coats. This after after the first coat dried for 24

4ACD3055-ACC4-4DFF-A27D-BC770425FCCF.jpeg

8E476C52-ADC9-4C77-A076-4D95C2B395EC.jpeg

I've been putting together a stand for a recent tool purchase:
  • Took a truck brake drum and welded a VW rotor to it. Then turned down a second VW rotor for the lug holes to line up.
  • Welded an upright to the second VW rotor and bolted the two rotors together.
  • Turned a fitting that would fit in the upright and welded it to the tube clamp.
  • Painted the drum and rotor and powdercoated the rotor and upright. Drilled through the upright and fitting so that a hitch pin would lock things in place.
  • Provides a nice solid base for a Tinman's Garage Planishing Hammer.
  • I put a disconnect on the airline at the hammer so that I could easily swap things out.
  • And, finally, a closeup on the tube clamp assembly.
Next step is working on a storage unit for the dies and hoops.

Planishing Hammer Collage.jpg

Been working trying to resurrect a long neglected 87 FJ60. Was a California truck when the guy I bought it from found it and had it shipped to PA from CA. Did I mention it was non-running as the carburetor had been removed? And the manifold not covered? That was in 2007 it sat pretty much untouched since then. I bought it, had it rollbacked to my place and have been going over it for the last few months. Had mice nests everywhere, I pulled the headliner down and removed everything in the dash to eliminate all their traces. Replaced the dash pad with a decent one I had on hand.
Back to the engine, the intake manifold was full of twigs and debris. I cleaned it as best I could, put on a carburetor and tried to start it. It turned over well but wouldn't start even though it had good spark and enough gas. I checked the compression and there were three cylinders with zero squeeze, so I proceeded to pull the head. Yes there were twigs stuck in the valves of several cylinders preventing them from closing. Borrowed John Merkey's valve spring compressor, disassembled and cleaned the head and put it all back together using OEM Toyota ($$$$$) gaskets. Fired up immediately. Engine sounds great, no bad smoke or noises anywhere. Had to replace he clutch master and slave cylinders but surprisingly enough the brakes seem to work fine. The gas tank seems fine I have only replaced one fuel filter. Clutch works great, as does the transmission and transfer, in fact the transmission and transfer are very clean and I'd bet the clutch doesn't have many miles on it. Electrically everything is working.
Frame is solid as are the quarter panels and most other body parts. The hood was rusted though at the very rear corners (????) but I had a good hood to replace it with. Unfortunately both front door windows were slightly open (for at least 15 years!) and water had gotten in to the floor outboard of the front seats. Both sides are rusted through there, but amazingly the rockers are solid. Freaky. Going down today I hope to have my body guy Phil repair the floors.
I was able to get a nice set of 33" all terrains on nice stock wheels from fellow club member Stan (thanks!!!). Even the spare tire lift/lower mechanism works properly. Has all four mudflaps and original bumpers. The seats aren't nice but I do have a set of reupholstered seats to go into it. I hate the thoughts of buying a headliner and a carpet set but if I keep it I'll be doing that. Still have to get the title and after that I might just have it on the road.

Finally getting back out and about in the 40 again. I miss having time to work on it and miss hitting the trails with you all but my weekends are pretty tied up with kids/house projects these days… most recent to be added to the list is that my air compressor’s 5 horse electric motor dead shorted through the windings and burned up after a meager 5 years, so getting the compressor back up and running has been on the list, along with a replank of my deck and (soon) renting a skid steer or mini-ex to level an area in the back yard for a swing set…

In better news, “big girl” got to ride up front in the 40 for the first time (around the neighborhood) and was pretty excited about it.

7288964B-DE4C-46A3-8970-7A1A6DAB00A7.jpeg

Not really sure what’s next for the 40… originally the plan had been to rebuild the H41 I bought a couple years ago, and attach it to an Orion, build a skid plate and add some armor to the front diff that I nearly caved in last Fall Crawl.

I haven’t heard too many good things about AA’s build quality on the Orion lately, so now I’m tossing around the idea of keeping my H42 for streetability and mating it to a low-geared split case instead… for the (very limited and tame) wheeling I do, I’m (still) undecided on whether I really want the granny low the H41 offers… Nothing like rethinking your approach AFTER you’ve bought all the parts…

Doing axles on the ground is just no fun. I think this is the 3rd time I'm going this since I bought the truck in 2009 or 2010 and it's not getting easier each time.
PXL_20220509_224628101.jpg

This past week I had my introduction to fiberglassing. I've done some smaller hand laid work over the years, but chopper guns and all was a new experience.

IMG_5849edit.JPG

This past week I had my introduction to fiberglassing. I've done some smaller hand laid work over the years, but chopper guns and all was a new experience.

View attachment 3009074

I'm itchy just looking at this picture. What are you making?

Yeah, it's a pretty hellish working environment between the fiberglass, resin fumes, and everything...

One of these in cobalt blue metalflake.

Buggy.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom