What are the 4 threaded holes in the center of the rear bumper for ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Originally for a pintle hook...

...Christo had a better idea...

sof1038_150.jpg

What's a pintle hook, & are you saying you would attach a hitch there?--why would you do that when you could use the Toyota version that goes around the frame, below the bumper?

A pintle hitch is commonly used on military and farm vehicles. they allow for more articulation between the towing vehicle and trailer. the trailer end is known as a "lunette" or "lunette eye".

You can envision it as a gigantic clasp set-up similar to that of a necklace.

Guys like Cdan use those threaded holes for, uh, well I won't go into it, but uh, yeah, you can also put a pintle there. :flipoff2:

oh, and please use the SEARCH button, because this has been answered like 1/2 million times already. :flipoff2:

Crazy Canuk,

>> below the bumper? <<

You answered your own question. The factory hitch is below the bumper which reduces the departure angle.

You should read the newbie guide.

-B-

I also was ``feeling underneath'' a 100 series the other day (oh how sweet that was :-[ ) and noted that underneath the plastic covering of a bumper, the 100 series also has the pintle holes.

FWIW...

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9523;start=msg83524#msg83524 date=1073067884]
Crazy Canuk,

>> below the bumper? <<

You answered your own question. The factory hitch is below the bumper which reduces the departure angle.

-B-
[/quote]

Hey now!!!

That's my factory skid plate you're talkin' bout there! :flipoff2:

*he he*

Ah yes,

The legendary 80 series "hitch-slide" Did that many a time before I got me that NICE Slee....... ;) Made myself an in-frame receiver out the back and gained about 7 inches......... :flipoff2:

(real inches guys)

Hey Junk - I can't take it anymore. How many of your 2400+ posts have been to bitch out someone for asking a question that has already been asked, to tell them to use the search button? OK, so multiply that by a minute or two and that's how much of your life you have wasted on something you probably will never change. When you read the subject line - WHY DID YOU CLICK ON IT? Sheesh!!!

Oh yeah... :flipoff2:

Dan

drenwick,

In defence of Junk, very few of his posts have asked someone to Search before the post. The 80/100 section here on IH8MUD has been active for just over 8 months and we've recently started to cover many topics for the umpteenth time. Asking a poster to Search is really doing the guy a favor because many of the experts will simply ignore the question or will only post a terse reply if anything at all.

For example, we get "What oil should I run in my engine?" about once a week (or some variant of the question.) Cary is one of our resident "Oil Experts" and it is unrealistic to expect him to post the indepth posts every week as he has in the past. If the person requesting the information would do a search, he would get the archives of Cary's extensive analysis and other Oil Experts' responses. His new "what oil" post is likely to get only bottom line type of information without much of an explanation.

So in summary, we don't want to dissuade newbies from posting questions but at the same time we want them to get the benefit of all the prior information. Some of the regulars disappear for weeks and months at a time and a search might reward the guy with some outstanding pictures and other information. (See photoman's archive posts as an example.)

-B-

Point well taken.

Hey, Hey, easy on the fellow Canadians!

As noted, the holes are for a pintle hook mount. You can go to many local auto stores (not Canadian tire) like NAPA and Princess Auto and buy a pintle hitch mount that actually has a ball mount with a spring-loaded 'clasp' that covers the ball (and also allows you to use the hitch as a proper pintle hitch if you happen to have a trailer with this type of hitch...which you don't because you're asking the question :D)

This mount is not as strong as the true frame-mounted trailer hitch, but you should have no problems towing a Class I trailer with this (my plan to carry my bike and other misc things). Apparently the same mount is rated for far more in other markets. I'm also going this route as I had a bitch of a time trying to get a factory hitch in Canada.

So, if you really need to tow some serious stuff, use the below frame hitch and suffer any off-road clearance problems. If you occasionally need to tow (light stuff) and the departure angle matters, get the pintle mount. Christo's mount shown above is not tow rated and is designed for bike racks, etc.

Welcome - where are you located?

Cheers, Hugh

I used the pintle mount to tow ~7k lbs from AZ to ID a few years back. YMMV

Thanks for the support, and info from all of the intelligent responses I received..I think Junk forgets that he was once a newbie also, and hasn't figured out how to use any smilycons other than the one's with the middle finger, so this one's for you junk ... :flipoff2: ;)

But seriously, though..I'm in Vancouver, on the wet coast, where are all the other Canadian Cruisers on the board located?..

I also saw a cruiser on the Discovery channel or one of those shows whilke channel surfing, and saw a ladder that appeared to be coming from the middle of therear bumper that went to the roof...on another occasion, I also saw a rear mounted spare carrier that looked like it was mounted in this location..thi sis why I wondered about this...anyone know anything about these or a bike rack, /ski rack that fits into this location?

I'm not aware of anything like tires or laddered being fitted to the OEM bumper pintle holes (could be custom fabbed I guess). You probably saw after market bumpers like those made by Slee or ARB.

If you just want to mount bikes, see the hitch that Slee has fabbed for this exact purpose (it's the picture above).

Most of the other Canadians are in BC...I think Tyler and I are the only ones covering Ontario. Do yoy have a truck, or are you currently in 'dream mode'?

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom