Fuel injector leaking from the top (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I discovered gas was coming out of the top of a fuel injector this weekend. I had the injectors cleaned by RC Fuel Injection out of CA a while ago so I’m thinking it’s either a wrong sized o-ring or I did a bad job connecting the injector to the fuel rail (I’ve been chasing down a raw gas smell for a while which is why I was in the engine bay this weekend). I’m going to replace the o ring with an OEM one and make sure the injector is fully connected, but is there anything else that could be causing the leak from the top of the fuel injector? I’d like to know what all I should have on hand so I don’t have to do this twice.

The fsm instructions have an installation procedure that says something about being careful not to damage the o-ring. I suspect you'll fix it with new o-rings and careful installation. You could replace all the rubber bits on the injectors, but it may be overkill since they were done recently. I just recently replaced mine, and I can't think of anything else that would cause a leak from the top. I assume the spacers are intact and the three bolts are torqued to spec (21 Nm).

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, more than likely the o-ring. I'd be just replacing all of them - they are cheap. If you pinched one you may have pinched two. Step h) above is important. Also, careful screwing down of the bolts that hold the fuel rail in place and clamp onto the injectors. I've put a smear of dielectric grease on the o-rings to let them slip easily in and also to help retain them all in place.

Just take your time slowly getting everything together and continue repeating step h) as you tighten things down.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the help everyone. The tip about the grease is a good idea. I’m almost positive I torqued the rail bolts to 21nm but it’s a good idea to double check while I’m in there.

my number 6 injector started leaking about 3hundered miles after the rebuild, I pulled them all replaced the rubber and reinstalled, no problem since

When i use to work on aircraft fuel systems i used a special grease made to work around fuel without being dissolved, or washed away by contact with fuel, Below you'll find a link to where you can buy a 5 OZ tube of that fuel system grease
1711567077934.jpeg

Last edited:
The company we use for our injectors started sending them back to us with green orings. After two sets we had leaked we switch everything back to Toyota orings and no leaks. We always use a little dielectric grease on them.

EZ turn is what I also used on my second-go at installing the fuel rail. Pinched an o-ring the first time around and it leaked just as you describe. new orings from toyota and a bit of ez-turn to lube them for install worked great.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help. I got ez turn and new orings. It ended up being a pinched oring on that injector. I started up the LC for the first time in about a week and I noticed a significant amount of exhaust coming from the tailpipe. The amount died down after I drove it around streets in my neighborhood so I’m hoping/thinking the excess exhaust is just a result of the engine getting more fuel than what it’s used to and the ecu needing to reset/water vapor from sitting for so long. I’ll post again if the significant amount of exhaust persists. Anyway, thanks for all the tips!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom